• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Most boring player

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I remember a knock by Blewett in the 1999/2000 test series against India in Australia. I think it was the first test. He scored 80 odd or something, and was not exactly exciting to say the least. I'm not saying he's a boring player, but I remember my mates commenting on that being one of the worst knocks, yet on the scorecard it looks significant.

EDIT: Just checked cricinfo, it was 88 off 262 balls. I remember him being bowled by Agarkar.

Last edited:

Jnr.

First Class Debutant
KennyD said:
I think because Richardson used to be a left arm spinner (i think), and not a particularly good or talented batsmen, but then went away and worked so hard on his batting, technique wise and mentally, to make him a sufficent test opening batsmen. I like him alot, and I wold be very happy if I could do what he has done. I have a lot of respect for Richardson, but I agree that he is not exciting.
Didn't Richardson start off batting at No. 11?

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Jono said:
I remember a knock by Blewett in the 1999/2000 test series against India in Australia. I think it was the first test. He scored 80 odd or something, and was not exactly exciting to say the least. I'm not saying he's a boring player, but I remember my mates commenting on that being one of the worst knocks, yet on the scorecard it looks significant.

EDIT: Just checked cricinfo, it was 88 off 262 balls. I remember him being bowled by Agarkar.

Couldn't have been his first test as he scored a ton on debut against England.

But I think I remember the innings you mention. Blewett's career was one of mixed fortunes. He'd go through amazing bouts of form, then just out of nowhere that gap between bat and pad would just get bigger and bigger and suddenly he couldn't score a run.

Joao_Quinto

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
I think I've changed my mind.

Razzaq and that old english fellow...butte...botox...Botham! Thats the one, bored to tears watching those two :D

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah Richardson started off as a #11 left arm spinner & then converted himself into a world class opening batsman. There's your talent right there.

masterblaster

International Captain
Tim said:
Yeah Richardson started off as a #11 left arm spinner & then converted himself into a world class opening batsman. There's your talent right there.
That's a really unbelievable and extraoridinary achievement in its own right. Plus to change yourself from number 11 to having one of the best techniques in the game against the seaming new ball in those green New Zealand conditions.

Simply outstanding.

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
Tim said:
He's an amazing player, yes, but talented? No. He has almost no shots, and his runs come from playing very few shots that he has mastered, and through his immense patience. So he is a world class player, but I'm saying that he is one without being talented (if you discount patience :p).

Either way, I was the one saying that he isn't boring. I said that he's very interesting to watch because of his approach to the game.

thierry henry

International Coach
Have a look at this scorecard- the 18 year old Richardson did show signs of ability with some useful runs batting at no.10, and he also bowled none other than Kapil Dev, and the 16 year old SR Tendulkar! I think this underlines that he wasn't just any left arm-spinner, but probably the best in the country for his age by some margin.

India in New Zealand 1989-90
New Zealand Presidents XI v Indians
Pukekura Park, New Plymouth
22,23,24,25 January 1990 (4-day match)

Result: Indians won by 159 runs

Toss: Indians
Umpires: RS Dunne and SJ Woodward

Indians 1st innings
VB Chandrasekhar c Thomson b Larsen 92
NS Sidhu c White b Thomson 23
SV Manjrekar c Parore b Thomson 80
*M Azharuddin c Bradburn b Thomson 159
SR Tendulkar c Richardson b Millmow 13
M Prabhakar c Douglas b Millmow 24
N Kapil Dev c Rutherford b Millmow 25
+KS More not out 45
SLV Raju c Parore b Millmow 3
V Razdan c Snedden b Millmow 18
ND Hirwani c Rutherford b Thomson 11
Extras (b 4, lb 11, nb 4) 19
Total (all out, 119 overs) 512

FoW: 1-77, 2-150, 3-268, 4-298, 5-394,
6-430, 7-432, 8-436, 9-475, 10-512.

Bowling O M R W
Millmow 27 3 127 5
Thomson 29 6 108 4
Rutherford 3 0 29 0
Snedden 12 2 46 0
Larsen 19 6 53 1
Richardson 16 0 61 0
Bradburn 13 1 73 0

New Zealand Presidents XI 1st innings
KA Wealleans lbw b Prabhakar 0
DJ White run out 20
KR Rutherford c Manjrekar b Kapil Dev 54
M Douglas c More b Raju 30
GE Bradburn c More b Prabhakar 74
GR Larsen lbw b Prabhakar 43
SA Thomson c Azharuddin b Kapil Dev 24
+A Parore c Prabhakar b Hirwani 22
*MC Snedden c More b Prabhakar 16
M Richardson not out 29
J Millmow not out 4
Extras (lb 7, nb 6) 13
Total (9 declared, 111 overs) 329

FoW: 1-2, 2-59, 3-93, 4-150, 5-225,
6-234, 7-280, 8-280, 9-319.

Bowling O M R W
Kapil Dev 20 6 48 2
Prabhakar 23 4 87 4
Razdan 13 2 76 0
Raju 27 11 68 1
Hirwani 28 12 43 1

Indians 2nd innings
VB Chandrasekhar b Thomson 3
NS Sidhu c Parore b Snedden 30
SR Tendulkar b Richardson 47
SV Manjrekar c Rutherford b Larsen 11
M Prabhakar c Snedden b Richardson 1
N Kapil Dev b Richardson 0
*M Azharuddin run out 24
+KS More not out 59
SLV Raju c Parore b Thomson 9
V Razdan c Bradburn b Thomson 0
ND Hirwani c & b Bradburn 0
Extras (lb 1) 1
Total (all out, 57.5 overs) 185

FoW: 1-23, 2-59, 3-87, 4-88, 5-92,
6-93, 7-143, 8-172, 9-172, 10-185.

Bowling O M R W
Millmow 5 0 15 0
Thomson 13 0 56 3
Snedden 8 3 12 1
Larsen 15 3 45 1
Richardson 11 2 47 3
Bradburn 5.5 1 9 1

New Zealand Presidents XI 2nd innings
DJ White b Prabhakar 5
KA Wealleans lbw b Prabhakar 9
KR Rutherford c More b Razdan 30
GE Bradburn c More b Raju 42
M Douglas lbw b Raju 6
GR Larsen c Chandrasekhar b Hirwani 26
SA Thomson c Kapil Dev b Hirwani 4
+A Parore c Chandrasekhar b Hirwani 4
*MC Snedden b Hirwani 0
M Richardson c More b Prabhakar 18
J Millmow not out 16
Extras (b 7, lb 6) 13
Total (all out, 64.1 overs) 173

FoW: 1-23, 2-24, 3-74, 4-102, 5-103,
6-110, 7-126, 8-126, 9-141, 10-173.

Bowling O M R W
Kapil Dev 8 5 9 0
Prabhakar 12.1 4 24 3
Razdan 7 0 37 1
Raju 20 5 59 2
Hirwani 17 5 31 4

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Mr Casson said:
He's an amazing player, yes, but talented? No. He has almost no shots, and his runs come from playing very few shots that he has mastered, and through his immense patience. So he is a world class player, but I'm saying that he is one without being talented (if you discount patience :p).

Either way, I was the one saying that he isn't boring. I said that he's very interesting to watch because of his approach to the game.
How can you succeed in any sport without being talented?

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
How can you succeed in any sport without being talented?
Because there is a physical and a mental component to every sport. What Richardson lacks in the physical, he makes up for with interest in the mental.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
So even though Mark Richardson has a FC triple century & averages 47 in test cricket...you believe he has almost no talent.

I hope you don't become a selector!

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
I would select him any day of the week for the NZ side, because he is a tremendous player. He just doesn't make his runs because of immense God-given talent.

bryce

International Regular
Mr Casson said:
If he was talented, he'd be able to play a lot more cricket shots.
talent is not justified by the amount of cricket shots you can play!

is it not considered talent to have one of the tightest defensive techniques in world cricket and being able to put away the bad balls basically whenever they are served up to the point where you average close to 50 in test cricket ? don't know about you but that reads talent to me.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Mister Wright said:
Couldn't have been his first test as he scored a ton on debut against England.

But I think I remember the innings you mention. Blewett's career was one of mixed fortunes. He'd go through amazing bouts of form, then just out of nowhere that gap between bat and pad would just get bigger and bigger and suddenly he couldn't score a run.
Sorry mate, I was referring to the first test of the series between India and Australia in 99/2000. Not Blewett's first test ;)

PAKMAN

State 12th Man
Joao_Quinto said:
I think I've changed my mind.

Razzaq and that old english fellow.
omg how can u get bored of razzaq wen hez smashing the ball all over the place but yeah may b at times he can b a bit dull

KennyD

International Vice-Captain
PAKMAN said:
omg how can u get bored of razzaq wen hez smashing the ball all over the place but yeah may b at times he can b a bit dull
dude.....that was a joke, didn't you notice the joke type sarcasm dripping of his post, or at least this smiley? :p