• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The famed Indian batting line up !!

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I am going to stick my neck out here and say this: I think India will beat SA at home this season. Last time, India were coming out of a heavy trashing by Australia and Pakistan in Australia, all sorts of conspiracy theories floating about Sachin's captaincy and the team in a poor state of mind. I suppose, some of those symptoms hold true with this Indian team too, at the moment, but the fact is that the SA side in 2000 was led by Cronje and was a side which had been together for quite a while. In a way, those guys had planned and played with a similar sort of determination and single mindedness that the Aussies have shown here. But this SA team is demoralised, without an established opener to partner Smith and a very weak bowling. I don't think the Indian batsmen will find form over night and I certainly don't expect to see too many 500+ scores, but whatever we will get, I think our bowling will be good enough to restrict SA below that.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Sanz said:
You have to look at it from the Indian perspective and not your own standards.
In that case it's some sort of progress but the overall figures are still run of the mill and ordinary.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Fair enough!

But I'd say the batting line-up is the least of your worries in all honesty (assuming they can at least one of them find form at some point in the near future!)

Sudeep

International Captain
marc71178 said:
Fair enough!

But I'd say the batting line-up is the least of your worries in all honesty (assuming they can at least one of them find form at some point in the near future!)
IMO the opening is a worry. It was the opening that caused the exposure of middle order batsmen to the new ball. They need someone solid at the top. Chopra was believe to be solid, could very well be, but performance is what counts, and he failed to deliver that.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
honestbharani said:
I don't think the Aussie bowling has been any better, to be honest. They were more disciplined, but they were not bowling as many great deliveries as they did in 2001. But, the field placings were better and the overall planning for this series was outstanding from the Aussies. But I can understand us being defeated because of this in one test, the first, but then having seen what they were doing, we should have changed our plans accordingly.

I question what Wright, Ganguly and the other seniors were doing. For example, this Aussie line of pitching it reasonably up and bringing the ball back in with a packed leg side field could have been countered by the Indian batters batting a couple of feet away from the crease and trying to get on the front foot as much as possible. Also, they could have either taken middle stump guard for those who like to play on the on side and they could have taken outside leg stump guard to hit on the off side. I am not saying it would have worked but these stuff were worth a try.

I think what India lacked in this series is an ability to make the actual changes where they were necessary. Yuvraj/Chopra opening has hardly made an impact, neither were good enough in this series. They should have tried maybe 3 spinners at Bangalore and Chennai, something like that. We have only changed the personnel, not the formula, and perhaps that has cost us.

Finally, with the next test and the series against SA coming up, some of the guys need to be changed. Laxman needs a break to try and get his game organised again and stage a comeback. I think even Dravid needs a break, from all cricket possibly, he is looking very negative. His captaincy was awful, to say the least, and his batting, especially in the first innings when he was in decent enough form to middle so many deliveries, was not much better than awful. Sachin should try and bat the way he did in the late 90s, in an attacking mode, because that is the way that would help India win matches. We already have Dravid to do what Sachin did at Sydney. Sourav should probably take a break too. He looks very tired and not in his usual fighting self. Perhaps, Gambhir and Sriram can come in for Dravid and Laxman.

But I guess with Sourav missing from next test in all probability, Dravid should stay, but atleast people have to tell him that he has to be positive. Not positive as in hitting a shot every ball, but positive as in putting away the bad balls as and when they come along and taking as many singles as he can in between. One of the biggest disappointments from the Indian point of view in this series was the inability of the Indian batters to take singles for a long period of time, sustain a partnership instead of trying to hit boundaries all the time. I think, in a nutshell, it is our inability to adapt and change that cost us dear.
Pretty good assessment over all.

tooextracool

International Coach
marc71178 said:
In that case it's some sort of progress but the overall figures are still run of the mill and ordinary.
yes and that is pretty much why no one has suggested that hes a brilliant captain(except for some fickle minded people), simply that hes done his job far better than everyone else in india has done.

biased indian

International Coach
tooextracool said:
yes and that is pretty much why no one has suggested that hes a brilliant captain(except for some fickle minded people), simply that hes done his job far better than everyone else in india has done.
so that make him the best for us, may be not for u but who cares

tooextracool

International Coach
biased indian said:
so that make him the best for us, may be not for u but who cares
hes the best of whats available, thats about it. it doesnt make him brilliant or amazing just because hes the best captain available in india, thats the equivalent to saying taibu is brilliant because hes the best batsman in zimbabwe.

tooextracool

International Coach
biased indian said:
so for u the best available is not the best
the best available is simply the best available, if you are the best of a very poor group it certainly does not make you brilliant and definetly not a legend. ganguly has done his job well enough, hes not been anywhere near brilliant.

biased indian said:
so who will be the best non available indian captain?????
err how does that matter? all im saying is that hes the best amongst the candidates avaiable, i certainly have no clue whether or not there is someone in domestic cricket who is better than him.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
tooextracool said:
simply that hes done his job far better than everyone else in india has done.
And add that to his batting in ODIS, He will be an Indian legend and will get into an Indian Hall of Fame any time. And please dont be calling me a fickle minded :wacko:

tooextracool

International Coach
Sanz said:
And add that to his batting in ODIS, He will be an Indian legend and will get into an Indian Hall of Fame any time. And please dont be calling me a fickle minded :wacko:
decent captaincy and good batting dont make you a legend though. it makes you a great but IMO theres a difference between a great and a legend. legends are what tendulkar, viv richards and bevan are in ODIs.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Does Indian domestic cricket breed good captains? The best captains the team has had have been MAK Pataudi, Wadekar, Kapil Dev and Gavaskar, but they're long gone.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
tooextracool said:
decent captaincy and good batting dont make you a legend though. it makes you a great but IMO theres a difference between a great and a legend. legends are what tendulkar, viv richards and bevan are in ODIs.
Tendulkar a legend, I though he was over rated ;) How can an FTB so over rated be a legend ?? :p

If ODIs is the criteria then I can tell you that Ganguly is as good as anyone in your list if not better. Look at his awesome record in ODIs.