• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The famed Indian batting line up !!

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I have a feeling that Jennings will either take South Africa to new heights in India or take them to unbelievable new lows....at this stage im betting on the latter.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
masterblaster said:
Although I do believe that Ganguly and Wright must atleast open their minds somewhat and look at some possible alternatives (eg.Gambhir, Sriram, Dinesh Karthik, Dhoni etc.) and get over this Yuvraj/Patel fixation that they seem to have.

Both Yuvraj and Patel are so talented and can be really, really valuable to have in a side, but they need to address their own technique's first.
How would this top 7 look?

• Sehwag (attack, hit big shots, run hard, keep hitting)
  • Gambhir (attack, run hard between wickets, find gaps, play for a long innings)
  • Dravid (build a large partnership, and on the back of a good start, hit the ball really, really hard)
  • Tendulkar (needs no advice, but will need a little rest)/Kaif (do your own thing, play for a partnership)
  • Laxman (play for a partnership, hit the big shots when in good nick)
  • Sriram (attack the spinners, run hard between wickets)
  • Dinesh Karthik (attack)

masterblaster

International Captain
It looks like a good lineup there and I would suggest Gambhir should come into this side as the opener now since Chopra cannot even buy a run nowadays, and that Dinesh Karthik come in as wicketkeeper.

With Ganguly not likely being axed as captain, I dont think Sriram or even Kaif for that matter will get a chance in the middle order.

Your batting order is a promising one, but lets not forget even sometimes your batting order wont deliver since Sriram, Gambhir and Karthik are not proven performers either, and currently Laxman, Tendulkar and Dravid are all in woeful form.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
masterblaster said:
It looks like a good lineup there and I would suggest Gambhir should come into this side as the opener now since Chopra cannot even buy a run nowadays, and that Dinesh Karthik come in as wicketkeeper.

With Ganguly not likely being axed as captain, I dont think Sriram or even Kaif for that matter will get a chance in the middle order.

Your batting order is a promising one, but lets not forget even sometimes your batting order wont deliver since Sriram, Gambhir and Karthik are not proven performers either, and currently Laxman, Tendulkar and Dravid are all in woeful form.
Ganguly too needs a break. It has been four hard, stressful years, with successes few and far between. Let him captain the Bengal team to a few victories in Ranji, and improve his fielding tenfold, to return.

Sriram has been a proven success, and a consistent performer, for several years, and he has good innings temperament, so he's a far more bankable choice. If you have seen him bat, you would know he's good enough for the national team, but given the number of batsmen at hand, some had to miss out.

But the objective is to make up for losing a series at home, by winning every series abroad in the near future.

twctopcat

International Regular
Sanz said:
What makes so sure that they will plunder 200s against SA ?? If I am not mistaken last time they toured Nicky Boje and Co. were enough to beat India 2-0.

Although I dont expect to see that happening this time because this SA team is much weaker than that but I dont expect Indian batsmen to be that good and plunder double centuries after double centuries either. South African bowling is pretty good.
But they are certainly aren't anywhere near warne,dizzy,mcgrath and kaspo. Sure pollock is good but he will find it hard in india as he cannot find the bounce that the tall australians can, which is why i think the indians will have a much easier ride.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
twctopcat said:
But they are certainly aren't anywhere near warne,dizzy,mcgrath and kaspo. Sure pollock is good but he will find it hard in india as he cannot find the bounce that the tall australians can, which is why i think the indians will have a much easier ride.
The Indians may attack Boje and all the change bowlers, but be careful against Pollock and Ntini, who cannot be counted out. Of course, Ntini offers some extra runs.

Dar

School Boy/Girl Captain
Hit4Six said:
its horrible how one batsman has made a century this series yet against pakistan one made one every match including a double and a triple century
And in Australia 5 of the top 6 all got centuries and the LOWEST was 144 by Ganguly. Thats an astounding statistic, i still can't believe how well they batted in australia. Compare that to this series it makes me sick

masterblaster

International Captain
Dar said:
And in Australia 5 of the top 6 all got centuries and the LOWEST was 144 by Ganguly. Thats an astounding statistic, i still can't believe how well they batted in australia. Compare that to this series it makes me sick
Well with a bowling attack comprised of Nathan Bracken, Brett Lee, Brad Williams and Stuart MacGill on absolute flat pitches, I don't think you have to think too hard as to why India scored so many runs in Australia.

Jason Gillespie played on and off, Andy Bichel played a couple of tests but was out of form, and Glenn McGrath, Shane Warne and Michael Kasprowicz didn't play either.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Time to rile up some debate here from my fellow Indian cricket fans.

The bowling by Australia has been SPECTACULAR! You mention how Australia's bowling attack in 2004 weren't as good as in 2001? Maybe not, but they were a hell of a lot smarter. There is no doubt that psychologically, India were down and their mental toughness was nothing near anything they displayed in 2001 and 2003.

But one thing stood out for me in this test in particular (3rd test). Gillespie, Kaspa and McGrath bowled stump to stump. Compare this to the 4th test, where Sachin was allowed to leave ball after ball outside his off stump, and when the right ball came, BAM, he'd take care of it as only he can. He was out of form, he was allowed to be brought back into form, granted his integrity and mental strength was also a part of that, but Gillespie and Lee didn't bowl well enough.

Back to 2004, they attacked Sachin immediately. He was under pressure from the get go, and he felt it. He meddled with people behind the sightscreen, he was clearly uncomfortable. They bowled stump to stump, line and length, and they got him LBW. They out-thought the little Master.

I am not going to stand up here and go "Everything is fine, we were just beaten by a better team, Indian cricket is alive and well". I'd be an idiot to say that. I agree changes need to be made, I agree subtle commentary and inner disputes need to stop arising. I agree Ganguly (I'm a big fan so don't call me a hater) needs to get some of his decisions right, and get his head out of his ass. But to deny the Aussie greatness in this test match would be silly.

"We were beaten by a better team" is what Rahul Dravid said in the match ceremony, and it's clearly true. Australia had a better squad of players, Rahul knew that, India know that, you guys surely know that.

Dropping Laxman, Tendulkar and Dravid is not the answer. Also I'd put Sehwag in that boat, because he's the only one that seems to be able to take it to the Aussies head on, despite the pressure he faces. He's an asset of a different kind compared to those other 3. Kaif should stay in the team for a LONG LONG time. I don't know who you'd kick out, but I think he should stay. We need the opening situation sorted, I agree with you all, Chopra's confidence was shattered, but as much as I love the guy, he's not the answer to India's problems. He relies much too much on Sehwag performing. Say Sehwag is injured and we open with umm... Patel and Chopra for instance. Wow, that looks totally different doesn't it? Even if you throw Ramesh or Das in there, or whom ever, Sehwag has added something to India's opening pairs in recent times that nothing has been able to. Frankly, he goes underappreciated much too often. Hopefully this series will show the fans that he is a man of mental strenght. He does lose his patience and concentration, but at least he doesn't fold to pressure. And he proved all the critics wrong that wanted him dropped.

India needs to restructure itself regarding schedules, regarding selection and definitely team unity (something that was so evident only 8 months ago). If we stop putting this emphasis on the pyjama game, and realise that test cricket is where it is at (we are starting to now), maybe we'll improve.

On a closing note, I'd just like to point out the irony that what denied us of fighting chance in this series was our batting, rather than our bowling. Our bowling was my main fear leading up to the series, but it was our greatest strength that failed us when we needed it. However, it failed us due to many reasons, low confidence, inadequate preparation and a great Australian team that is being overlooked in this thread.

masterblaster

International Captain
Jono said:
Time to rile up some debate here from my fellow Indian cricket fans.

The bowling by Australia has been SPECTACULAR! You mention how Australia's bowling attack in 2004 weren't as good as in 2001? Maybe not, but they were a hell of a lot smarter. There is no doubt that psychologically, India were down and their mental toughness was nothing near anything they displayed in 2001 and 2003.

But one thing stood out for me in this test in particular (3rd test). Gillespie, Kaspa and McGrath bowled stump to stump. Compare this to the 4th test, where Sachin was allowed to leave ball after ball outside his off stump, and when the right ball came, BAM, he'd take care of it as only he can. He was out of form, he was allowed to be brought back into form, granted his integrity and mental strength was also a part of that, but Gillespie and Lee didn't bowl well enough.

Back to 2004, they attacked Sachin immediately. He was under pressure from the get go, and he felt it. He meddled with people behind the sightscreen, he was clearly uncomfortable. They bowled stump to stump, line and length, and they got him LBW. They out-thought the little Master.

I am not going to stand up here and go "Everything is fine, we were just beaten by a better team, Indian cricket is alive and well". I'd be an idiot to say that. I agree changes need to be made, I agree subtle commentary and inner disputes need to stop arising. I agree Ganguly (I'm a big fan so don't call me a hater) needs to get some of his decisions right, and get his head out of his ass. But to deny the Aussie greatness in this test match would be silly.

"We were beaten by a better team" is what Rahul Dravid said in the match ceremony, and it's clearly true. Australia had a better squad of players, Rahul knew that, India know that, you guys surely know that.

Dropping Laxman, Tendulkar and Dravid is not the answer. Also I'd put Sehwag in that boat, because he's the only one that seems to be able to take it to the Aussies head on, despite the pressure he faces. He's an asset of a different kind compared to those other 3. Kaif should stay in the team for a LONG LONG time. I don't know who you'd kick out, but I think he should stay. We need the opening situation sorted, I agree with you all, Chopra's confidence was shattered, but as much as I love the guy, he's not the answer to India's problems. He relies much too much on Sehwag performing. Say Sehwag is injured and we open with umm... Patel and Chopra for instance. Wow, that looks totally different doesn't it? Even if you throw Ramesh or Das in there, or whom ever, Sehwag has added something to India's opening pairs in recent times that nothing has been able to. Frankly, he goes underappreciated much too often. Hopefully this series will show the fans that he is a man of mental strenght. He does lose his patience and concentration, but at least he doesn't fold to pressure. And he proved all the critics wrong that wanted him dropped.

India needs to restructure itself regarding schedules, regarding selection and definitely team unity (something that was so evident only 8 months ago). If we stop putting this emphasis on the pyjama game, and realise that test cricket is where it is at (we are starting to now), maybe we'll improve.

On a closing note, I'd just like to point out the irony that what denied us of fighting chance in this series was our batting, rather than our bowling. Our bowling was my main fear leading up to the series, but it was our greatest strength that failed us when we needed it. However, it failed us due to many reasons, low confidence, inadequate preparation and a great Australian team that is being overlooked in this thread.
Very well put mate. I agree with you entirely.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Raj Singh Dungarpur said that the Indians were trying to play too wide off their off-stump. He may be right. Look at how Chopra, Dravid, Laxman and Kaif got out.

TendulkarFan

School Boy/Girl Captain
I agree with SJS that this team just doesn't look as united as it did 8 months ago.

Now that they have lost the series, they may be forced to make a few changes to the team and a few victories would probably bring that unity back - or at least the good feeling between teammates. As of right now, it just seems that this team is not willing to fight the Aussies because they are fighting each other.

Because he has led the country well the last 4 years, I don't mind the selectors willing to give Ganguly another shot considering that India lost to the best team in the world on a mission. But if India lose the SA series as well, I'd be all for a Ganguly axing along with both of his underperforming cronies (Yuvraj & Parthiv.)

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
If Ganguly gets axed, it does not matter much, since there has been little success in four years. The Lankans got rid of Hashan after just one year! Besides, the Aussies have halted the captaincy of many teams.

The team needs a makeover. A heavy one. All the evidence of their woeful form of the last three months has to be wiped out, and a new, refreshed Indian team, without the albatross of series defeats, must take the field. Selection must be only on form, balance and utility. If all 11 players were good fielders, it would help a lot, since that team cannot be far worse than this one. Most importantly, the team needs a Lance Klusener.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
They should stop making Rahul Dravid keep wickets. It has been a thankless job for someone who has no business doing it, and the effect of two years wicketkeeping has shown on his batting.

TendulkarFan

School Boy/Girl Captain
Arjun said:
If Ganguly gets axed, it does not matter much, since there has been little success in four years. The Lankans got rid of Hashan after just one year! Besides, the Aussies have halted the captaincy of many teams.

The team needs a makeover. A heavy one. All the evidence of their woeful form of the last three months has to be wiped out, and a new, refreshed Indian team, without the albatross of series defeats, must take the field. Selection must be only on form, balance and utility. If all 11 players were good fielders, it would help a lot, since that team cannot be far worse than this one. Most importantly, the team needs a Lance Klusener.
I am extremely glad you are not an Indian selector. A heavy makeover? We are talking about Team India here, not West Indies from 2 years ago or current Zimbabwe.

Yeah they certainly need a Lance Klusener to replace the Dravids, Tendulkars, Sehwags and Laxmans of the team. Several of these Kluseners are hanging off the trees of Ulhasnagar, so they should go and grab them.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Arjun said:
If Ganguly gets axed, it does not matter much, since there has been little success in four years.
Yeah Right Arjun, there has been very little success in last four years. :blink:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Arjun you hyperbole India's bad situation way too much. It's bad, but not that bad, and the past 2 years have been quite good.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Jono said:
Arjun you hyperbole India's bad situation way too much. It's bad, but not that bad, and the past 2 years have been quite good.
When you don't have a wash for two years, even the fleas will desert you, and you don't have to be Sidhu to say so.

TendulkarFan said:
I am extremely glad you are not an Indian selector. A heavy makeover? We are talking about Team India here, not West Indies from 2 years ago or current Zimbabwe.

Yeah they certainly need a Lance Klusener to replace the Dravids, Tendulkars, Sehwags and Laxmans of the team. Several of these Kluseners are hanging off the trees of Ulhasnagar, so they should go and grab them.
This Team India, or Team BCCI, or Team Ganguly, has been on a downward trend, while other teams have improved by leaps and bounds. Sri Lanka have a new spin partner for Murali, and another came up in Pakistan, and their batting has improved. England have Flintoff, Harmison and some new, fresh and useful players. Pakistan have improved under Bob Woolmer, and now have the better of the Indians. The West Indians have won the Champions Trophy. The Indians have done nothing since Pakistan 2004. Don't you want the team to improve?

Who said anything about replacing Sachin, Laxman or Dravid?

Do you know the population of India? Surely there is a Lance Klusener somewhere, playing for some Ranji team. If the selectors broke this club mentality, they would have had good bench strength. They would have an all-rounder the team needs so bad. A big-hitter who can change matches. Don't you want one in the Indian team?

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Arjun said:
The West Indians have won the Champions Trophy. The Indians have done nothing since Pakistan 2004.
I thought you said India have not had any success in last 4 years, I am sure you consider India's trip to Pak a failure ?? :p

Slow Love™

International Captain
twctopcat said:
Sure pollock is good but he will find it hard in india as he cannot find the bounce that the tall australians can, which is why i think the indians will have a much easier ride.
Pollock did pretty well the last time SAF toured India though, didn't he?