• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Great ODI batsmen

Hit4Six

U19 Debutant
i have composed a list of the top batsmen who i believe are OD batsmen who i enjoyed watching the most (this takes into no account tests):

1) Sachin tendulkar
2) Saeed Anwar
3) Sourav Ganguly
4) Aravinda DeSilva
5) Ricky Ponting
6) Steve Waugh
7) Brian Lara
8) Inzamam
9) Sanath jayasuriya

Eclipse

International Debutant
Hit4Six said:
i have composed a list of the top batsmen who i believe are OD batsmen who i enjoyed watching the most (this takes into no account tests):

1) Sachin tendulkar
2) Saeed Anwar
3) Sourav Ganguly
4) Aravinda DeSilva
5) Ricky Ponting
6) Steve Waugh
7) Brian Lara
8) Inzamam
9) Sanath jayasuriya
Mark Waugh was a far better ODI batsman than Steve.

I would say Gilchrist should be in that list if Jayasuriya can get in.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
From the last five years....

Saeed Anwar
Matthew Hayden
Adam Gilchrist
Ricky Ponting
Damien Martyn
Flintoff
Nathan Astle
Andrew Strauss
Sanath Jayasuriya
Marcus Trescothick
Andrew Symonds
An in-form Yuvraj Singh

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
^Yuvraj, but no Tendulkar, Ganguly or Dravid???!
What about Fleming...

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Dasa said:
^Yuvraj, but no Tendulkar, Ganguly or Dravid???!
What about Fleming...
An in-form Yuvraj and Sehwag- when out of form, they're terrible. Tendulkar is not so much fun to watch, but still bankable. Same with Fleming. Ganguly is no fun to watch these days- he's getting to be really scratchy, just like Nasser Hussain, and his fielding and running between wickets are awful. Dravid is definitely worth a watch when he's aggressive- he can make all Sehwag look pedestrian.

KennyD

International Vice-Captain
what about Michael Bevan? Now thats some beauty to watch him craft his magic with the blade.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
KennyD said:
what about Michael Bevan? Now thats some beauty to watch him craft his magic with the blade.
Michael Bevan's legwork is more impressive. Or it was...

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Anyone here heard of a chap called Isaac Vivian Alexander...something ??

The two greatest batsmen the limited overs game has seen are Richards and then Tendulkar followed by daylight and then a host of others.

tooextracool

International Coach
SJS said:
Anyone here heard of a chap called Isaac Vivian Alexander...something ??

The two greatest batsmen the limited overs game has seen are Richards and then Tendulkar followed by daylight and then a host of others.
then im afraid you know nothing about ODI cricket......

tooextracool

International Coach
Arjun said:
An in-form Yuvraj and Sehwag- when out of form, they're terrible. Tendulkar is not so much fun to watch, but still bankable.
tendulkar is no fun to watch.....while yuvraj is?
brilliant.

tooextracool

International Coach
Eclipse said:
Mark Waugh was a far better ODI batsman than Steve.

I would say Gilchrist should be in that list if Jayasuriya can get in.
gilchrist certainly has been far more impressive in tests than he has in ODIs. if you ask me, jayasuriya is far more destructive than gilly in ODIs. it must be said that gilly is very much an overrated ODI player.

tooextracool

International Coach
marc71178 said:
That's very harsh.

SRT is the highest run scorer in the history of ODIs
yes i know, and obviously he is one of the top 3 players in ODI cricket, but for someone to suggest that both richards and tendulkar are not just better, but better by a considerable distance than bevan is just plain ridiculous.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Why is it?

IVA played in a different era, but was an awesome player and is responsible for the greatest knock of all time IMO.

tooextracool

International Coach
marc71178 said:
Why is it?

IVA played in a different era, but was an awesome player and is responsible for the greatest knock of all time IMO.
yes he played in a different era, and he still averaged considerably less than bevan. there are arguments that suggest he might be just as good, there isnt one that shows that he was better, and there certainly isnt any that shows that there is daylight between him and bevan.
and if playing one of the greatest knocks of all time makes someone a great player then brian lara should be the best player ever.......