• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Batsman with the best cover drive !!

Cover drive is my best shot in cricket !!!
Tendulkar , Saeed Anwar and Mark Waugh perfected this shot .And its the basic and most productive shot to play ...
I guess Jayasuriya is the best batsman to play this shot ........

Deja moo

International Captain
reason4passion said:
Cover drive is my best shot in cricket !!!
Tendulkar , Saeed Anwar and Mark Waugh perfected this shot .And its the basic and most productive shot to play ...
I guess Jayasuriya is the best batsman to play this shot ........

Dont you mean square cut when you say Jayasuriya ?

For the cover drive...Ganguly and Vaughan.

Deja moo said:
Dont you mean square cut when you say Jayasuriya ?

For the cover drive...Ganguly and Vaughan.
Offcourse Square cut is also good on him but cover drive is better ... I think he aint no playing it much more than he should have ......

Eclipse

International Debutant
All of Martyn's offside shots are brilliant. I dont know if his cover drive is the best but it looks awsome and when he goes inside out over cover and wacks it thats special!

probably his trade mark shot is the extra cover driven six.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Most of Martyn's shots are played of the backfoot, much like Steve Waugh, he rarely plants that front foot and whacks it.

For me, Vaughan is the best exponent of the cover drive, as is Laxman and Martin Love.

KennyD

International Vice-Captain
Oh yes, Martyn, especially when he dances to the spinners and whacks them through the covers, I love that...

deeps

International 12th Man
tendulkar.....and rahul dravid has a nice one too. square cuts, steve waugh has the best

tooextracool

International Coach
other than the obvious ones(ganguly,tendulkar etc) kallis, neil mckenzie and geraint jones(when he gets to the pitch of the ball) are all good players of the cover drive.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Daren Ganga, Marvan Atapattu and (wait for it)... Dinesh Mongia.

The best one-handed cover drive has to be Lara.

shaka

International Regular
I think Stephen Fleming and Matthew Sinclair have really good cover drives, even though Matthew doesn't use his feet.

Western Warrior

School Boy/Girl Captain
burr said:
no contest, Martyn
Agreed, Martyn's off-side play rivals that of Mark Waugh when it comes to elegance and authority. However, with that said its also his greatest weakness as his leg side play is weaker as a result.

In support I offer the field settings New Zealand Captain Stephen Fleming used to great success to contain Martyn's drives and square cuts.

Sometimes a players greatest strength also becomes their most easily exploited weakness.