• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Batsman with the best cover drive !!

krishneelz

U19 Debutant
ganguly looks awsome with his cover drives. The ball goes like lightining and he when he times it. Tendulkar and Lara have HAD awsome cover drives but lately have seem to have lost it. But you cant deny Mark Waugh. This man was a true artist of the shot

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
krishneelz said:
Tendulkar and Lara have HAD awsome cover drives but lately have seem to have lost it.
Lol. One has to wonder how much you've seen of Lara lately then.

krishneelz

U19 Debutant
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Lol. One has to wonder how much you've seen of Lara lately then.
lara hasnt been driving alot like he used to. He is playing more off the back foot and when he drives its usually towards the square of the wicket NOT a cover drive Unless u dont know what a cover drive is which is probably the case with a name Mxyzptlk

KennyD

International Vice-Captain
krishneelz said:
lara hasnt been driving alot like he used to. He is playing more off the back foot and when he drives its usually towards the square of the wicket NOT a cover drive Unless u dont know what a cover drive is which is probably the case with a name Mxyzptlk
whoa dont go there buddy...playin with fire me thinks

Linda

International Vice-Captain
Waughney said:
Yep, his cover drive is amazing.

Here is a picture I took up in Cairns. This was the cover drive which brought up his century.
Oh my, look at that elbow... Brilliant.

Joao_Quinto

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
honestbharani said:
Dude, have you never seen Lara play his world renowned and patented backfoot cover drive?
Yeah but for whatever reason, I think front foot when someone says cover drive, I think It looks more stylish and graceful. I also have more respect for the good players of the front foot cover drive as my version of it sucks absolute bad stuff! :D Mind you not much of my batting game is all that impressive. :mellow:

To be honest, I haven't seen much of Lara in the last few years and Im not that old so I dont remember a lot from when I was younger. What I do remember was him shuffling across the crease and the just defending it to the boundary just in front of square.

Jnr.

First Class Debutant
honestbharani said:
sorry about the double post, but this thread brought to mind a comment by Dean Jones during the Nagpur test:

"Show me a batsman with a great cover drive and I will show you a guy who averages less than 40 in tests."
I presume he meant Atapattu, who has a Test average of about 39. His cover drive is awesome, and nice picture there, Waughney. :D

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
lol, there were both backfoot and frontfoot cover drives during his 400*. I believe Hoggard had to bear the brunt then. Anyways, I still think Sourav and Marto are the best at cover driving.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
honestbharani said:
sorry about the double post, but this thread brought to mind a comment by Dean Jones during the Nagpur test:

"Show me a batsman with a great cover drive and I will show you a guy who averages less than 40 in tests."
Dean Jones is talking through his nut !!

Wally Hammond had the most celeberated cover drive in history and averaged something like 58 in tests !!

I will locate and post here the picture of Hammond driving (easily the most famous cover drive photograph ever) with Oldfield, beautifully behind the line of the ball but with his gloves still touching the ground as the ball was met at the half volley. A beautiful study of the cover drive and the basic principal of wicket keeping.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
SJS said:
Dean Jones is talking through his nut !!

Wally Hammond had the most celeberated cover drive in history and averaged something like 58 in tests !!

I will locate and post here the picture of Hammond driving (easily the most famous cover drive photograph ever) with Oldfield, beautifully behind the line of the ball but with his gloves still touching the ground as the ball was met at the half volley. A beautiful study of the cover drive and the basic principal of wicket keeping.
Funny, when I read Jones’s quote I instantly thought of Mark Ramprakash.

He had a glorious cover drive & an average from over 50 tests of less than 30! I'm sure it was his textbook correctness as much as the paucity of alternatives that lead to so many appearances.