• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

International/State Players you've had a game with.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Just wondering if anyone has played with/against any of past or current players and if so, how did you go, what were they like etc etc.

If not, which 3 players would you most like to have a game with........?

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Players I have played with :

Bishan Bedi, Mohinder Amarnath, Maninder Singh, Kirti Azad, Manoj Prabhakar, Madan Lal, Arun Lal, Raman Lamba, Atul Wasan, Sanjeev Sharma, Surinder Khanna, Vijay Mehra, Ramesh Saxena, Rakesh Shukla.

Some are big names some not that big but all internationals.

Only Bishan, Vijay Mehra and Ramesh Saxena drew awe since I was too young and they were older and senior crickeeters. Others were club mates (colleagues and equals) or youngsters (and juniors) whom one had seen from their very early years so even when they became big stars it wasnt given much thought.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
ReallyCrazy said:
SJS, you used to play for your state?
Just missed it. But not surprising since Delhi were the best team in the country at that time, I know Bombay friends will dispute but Delhi was very strong and North had almost a full team of internationals :D

I played for Delhi University in a year when we were all India University Champions.

I should have migrated to one of the weaker states as dozens of Delhi players did later.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
honestbharani said:
U should have tried to play for Haryana or Himachal. I don't know when they had a competitive side last.
Yes but I had my career in Delhi which was going great guns too. And in those days, when the money was not big in the game, if you had a great career you never gave it up, in the fond hope that you might make it big. I would never have played beyond the state level and that did not jsutify sacrificing a good career.

Those were the days when cricketers joined State Bank of India as clercs and if they played for the country thry became officers and they could think of a secure future :D .

I was doing well enough to rise to be a CEO in my early 30's. There was no choice. AND I knew I wasnt good enough to go beyond playing for one of the smaller states :)

KennyD

International Vice-Captain
I've played with one, Malcomn Franke, he played for QLD as a leggie in the 70's and hes like 60 now, but he still plays 5th grade for Valleys, and I played 5th grade twice, with him. Hes old, but damn he still bowls pretty decently. Cant bat or field for c*** though, oh and he captains too.

thirdumpire

School Boy/Girl Captain
I grew up in Bangalore. Anyone remember Roger Binny? When we were school kids , Roger and his two brothers Neville and David and number of other kids on the street played tennis ball cricket in his home front yard . We lost many balls, as if you clear the compound wall on the leg side into the neighbours house, a pair of Alsations will tear up the ball into pieces, straight drive will land the ball on the railway tracks. Roger was a great sportsman , being involved in hockey, soccer, basketball and even held the state record in javelin throw.
During this time another young kid name Rahul Dravid moved into the same street. Except for Roger, most of us had moved onto college and other interests. It will be around 5 am when we would be woken up to the sound of bat and ball . It was young Dravid. Those days , they would hammer a hook into a cricket ball and string it up on a tree branch and you could keep knocking it around . It was not only in the mornings but all through the weekend, Dravid would be knocking on that ball strung from the tree with the same patience and concentration he shows today on the international scene.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
thirdumpire said:
I grew up in Bangalore. Anyone remember Roger Binny? When we were school kids , Roger and his two brothers Neville and David and number of other kids on the street played tennis ball cricket in his home front yard . We lost many balls, as if you clear the compound wall on the leg side into the neighbours house, a pair of Alsations will tear up the ball into pieces, straight drive will land the ball on the railway tracks. Roger was a great sportsman , being involved in hockey, soccer, basketball and even held the state record in javelin throw.
During this time another young kid name Rahul Dravid moved into the same street. Except for Roger, most of us had moved onto college and other interests. It will be around 5 am when we would be woken up to the sound of bat and ball . It was young Dravid. Those days , they would hammer a hook into a cricket ball and string it up on a tree branch and you could keep knocking it around . It was not only in the mornings but all through the weekend, Dravid would be knocking on that ball strung from the tree with the same patience and concentration he shows today on the international scene.
Nice one!

In Australia, thanks to the Twelfth Man, we probably know Roger better as 'Rubbish Binny'..............he was left out by the selectors last night..........buuuuuuut no-one collected him.

mavric41

State Vice-Captain
John Maguire, the medium fast bowler who played for Queensland and Australia used to live behind me when I was growing up. Didn't really know him though.