• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Guide to captaining the Indian Cricket Team

Warne is god

U19 12th Man
Since Sourav Ganguly has been regarded as the best Indian cricket captain for a while, I took the liberty of writing a small guide about how to be as much like Ganguly as possible for the next time YOU captain a cricket team. Good luck.

Pre-Game: With the coin toss, it is tradition to wear your countrys cap and blazer. However since YOUR the best captain in the world, you don't need to. Instead wear every sponsors product you can find, hat, jacket, pants, gloves even a farkin hankerchief. Just as long as it is sponsered. Also make sure your always second out the the coin toss, the WHOLE CROWD can wait for YOU because YOUR important.

Batting: If your team is in danger early in the innings, then no matter what put yourself ahead of your normal position NO MATTER WHAT. Even if you have Don Bradman due in next, you MUST bat ahead of him. It is your duty as Sourav Ganguly to be as selfish with the bat as possible, ALWAYS try to be the hero.

Fielding: In the field, since you are captain, it is your duty to constantly fiddle with the field in order to delay a loss for as long as possible. Remember, your field can always be changed even if it is perfect. Especially if it is a One Day game and there is a threat of rain then it is your DUTY to hold up the game for as long as is humanly possible. Remember that your shoes can always be tied up tighter and that when you walk back to your fielding position that you must walk as SLOWLY as possible. Also if a team-mate drops a catch remember to bag him all day, even if you drop an unbelivably simple catch the very next ball THATS OK, because YOUR THE CAPTAIN.

Bowling: If your bowlers are struggling to contain the opposition batsman then bring yourself on. It doesn't matter if its the 3rd over and you have 2 excellent paceman on your team, or if its the 17th over, the pitch has as much cracks the pitch did in Banglaore and you have Harbahjan Singh AND Anil Kumble on your team, you must put yourself FIRST.

Remember, as captain of the Indian cricket team you are the best player in the world. Better than ANYONE, both in batting and bowling.

jagaways

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
umm wattaloser u are. sif ganguly ever brings himself on in the 3rd over. he didn't even bowl at all in the recent tests..u dumbf@#$@$ ... stop exaggerating ...i dont even like ganguly he's probably my least fave player in the indian side, but dont randomly make up bs about him which is untrue. his decision to promote himself in the order worked pretty well in the first test. all the commentators also regarded it as a good decision. think before making ridiculous comments.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Ganguly has his faults but bringing himself on too often is onething he can NEVER be blamed of.

In this context what he has often been charged with is not bowling himself enough !!

He is clearly not one of your favourites is he ? :D

deeps

International 12th Man
wats the over rate of the entire team got to do with bringing himself on too often, or batting too high etc?

jagaways

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
yeah warne_is_god (rofl watta false nickname), we all know ganguly has problems with over rates. all the articles exaggerate it still, and all the other problems u mentioned are nonexistent. so basically ur whole original post was a load of bs with a little bit of truth in the over-rates accusation. so stfu and go eat some baked beans like ur hero.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Warne is God, you are an IDIOT. Shut the hell up and let us enjoy the series.

PLEASE..

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Warne is god said:
Since Sourav Ganguly has been regarded as the best Indian cricket captain for a while, I took the liberty of writing a small guide about how to be as much like Ganguly as possible for the next time YOU captain a cricket team. Good luck.

Pre-Game: With the coin toss, it is tradition to wear your countrys cap and blazer. However since YOUR the best captain in the world, you don't need to. Instead wear every sponsors product you can find, hat, jacket, pants, gloves even a farkin hankerchief. Just as long as it is sponsered. Also make sure your always second out the the coin toss, the WHOLE CROWD can wait for YOU because YOUR important.

Batting: If your team is in danger early in the innings, then no matter what put yourself ahead of your normal position NO MATTER WHAT. Even if you have Don Bradman due in next, you MUST bat ahead of him. It is your duty as Sourav Ganguly to be as selfish with the bat as possible, ALWAYS try to be the hero.

Fielding: In the field, since you are captain, it is your duty to constantly fiddle with the field in order to delay a loss for as long as possible. Remember, your field can always be changed even if it is perfect. Especially if it is a One Day game and there is a threat of rain then it is your DUTY to hold up the game for as long as is humanly possible. Remember that your shoes can always be tied up tighter and that when you walk back to your fielding position that you must walk as SLOWLY as possible. Also if a team-mate drops a catch remember to bag him all day, even if you drop an unbelivably simple catch the very next ball THATS OK, because YOUR THE CAPTAIN.

Bowling: If your bowlers are struggling to contain the opposition batsman then bring yourself on. It doesn't matter if its the 3rd over and you have 2 excellent paceman on your team, or if its the 17th over, the pitch has as much cracks the pitch did in Banglaore and you have Harbahjan Singh AND Anil Kumble on your team, you must put yourself FIRST.

Remember, as captain of the Indian cricket team you are the best player in the world. Better than ANYONE, both in batting and bowling.
You might do well to remember that this style of captaincy is what brought a 1-1 draw (almost a victory) for India in Australia.

delkap

State Vice-Captain
Warne is god said:

what a load of c**p. Ganguly is a very good captain (maybe not in terms of tactics as much in leadership). He has done absolute wonders wth the team, and his fielding badly has nothing to do with captaincy .He was always a bad fielder, but obviously he has to make sure others dont follow same. BTW his fielding has improved greatly since he became captain, now obviously he cant become Jonty or Ponting, but he DOES try his best. As for over rates in rain etc, every team does it .. thats called smart cricket. And he doesn't bring himself on enough for u to have a go at that. Clarke and Katich hv bowled more than Ganguly recently, and Ganguly is actually a better bowler than them. As for promoting himself, that takes some guts, as he is susceptible to pce, and tht is a positive sign for the team tht the captain is leading from the front. I admire him for tht. I am not saying he doesnt hv any faults, but nowhere near wht u make itout to be. And all those faults still cant change the fact that this man transformed Indian team to wht it is now in 2 years.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
jagaways said:
umm wattaloser u are. sif ganguly ever brings himself on in the 3rd over. he didn't even bowl at all in the recent tests..u dumbf@#$@$ ... stop exaggerating ...i dont even like ganguly he's probably my least fave player in the indian side, but dont randomly make up bs about him which is untrue. his decision to promote himself in the order worked pretty well in the first test. all the commentators also regarded it as a good decision. think before making ridiculous comments.
Why all the insults and insinuated profanity today? Mefinks some people need a timeout.

KennyD

International Vice-Captain
Warne is god said:

hahaha I can keep an open mind about this one, it was quite funy i thought. I dont agree particularly in bagging ganguly that much but it was kinda funnily written, good on ya. lol

NikhilN

International Regular
when I first saw this threads name on the home page all I saw was "The Guide to captaining..." and I knew it was gonna be about the Indian Cricket Team...and it is...I am so good

KennyD

International Vice-Captain
NikhilN said:
when I first saw this threads name on the home page all I saw was "The Guide to captaining..." and I knew it was gonna be about the Indian Cricket Team...and it is...I am so good
lol me too, I thought it was going to be about India...

and hey, I posted before you, so Im going to say....I am great

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Congratulations for demonstrating why Ganguly is rated as a captain.

The ability to wind people up to such an incredible extent is a gift :)

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
KennyD said:
hahaha I can keep an open mind about this one, it was quite funy i thought. I dont agree particularly in bagging ganguly that much but it was kinda funnily written, good on ya. lol
Konnichi wa KennyDsan. Genki desu ka.