• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best Player Nickname?

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
BoyBrumby said:
Wasn't he the guy who got v badly brained by Peter Lever?
Yes.

(apologies for the delay replying. It took a considerable effort - including trained monkeys, the detonating of a bomb and a stick of chewing gum - to compile my response.

cpr

International Coach
BoyBrumby said:
Thought I'd resurrect this thread 'cos I just heard Warren Hegg call Andrew Symonds "Ronald" (I think) during the Hants-Lancs game on Sky. Anyone know why he's called that?

What with Symonds's mad hair & seemingly permanent zinc block on his lips I wonder if it's a ref to the MacDonald's clown of the same name.....? :D

It could just be the fact that Hegg is a total loudmouth :)

He always called Neil Fairbrother by his middle name - Harvey (his mum named him after, well, Neil Harvey, her favourite cricketer..... Hegg must've just liked his middle name)

And anyone who's seen lancashire in the last 10 years will have heard Heggs numerous screams of 'CMOOOOOOOOON DIGGGGGGEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRR' aimed at Peter Martin

Still Reckon Vic Marks' 'Skid' is the best nickname though :)

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Voltman said:
Heath "Raven" Davis.

Anybody else know why? Answers on the back of a postcard thanks.
Because after his initial performances, his captain might have said "Never more"...

Remember the WCW and WWE Raven... Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Voltman said:
Yes.

(apologies for the delay replying. It took a considerable effort - including trained monkeys, the detonating of a bomb and a stick of chewing gum - to compile my response.
It was worth the wait. A veritable triumph of brevity!

Be honest, your sub-editor cast his eye over it first, didn't he?! ;)

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
I must confess that the imagination of the average English cricket player and/or supporter leaves a lot to be desired. I mean, just stick an '-oh' on the end. Tresc-oh, Vaughan-oh, Gile-oh, although I must congratulate the person who came up with Gough-ee. That took some imagination.

If they shout at the umpire, then it's "You need glasses, Venkataraghavan-oh".

Incidentally, why is Glenn McGrath called 'Pigeon'? Is it because he sh*ts everywhere?

nick-o

State 12th Man
luckyeddie said:
I must confess that the imagination of the average English cricket player and/or supporter leaves a lot to be desired. I mean, just stick an '-oh' on the end. Tresc-oh, Vaughan-oh, Gile-oh, although I must congratulate the person who came up with Gough-ee. That took some imagination.
Bell-ow?

Or is that too creative for the England changing room?

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
On Under the Grandstand, Gilchrist said that he sometimes gets called 'Churchy' because on the 97 (?) tour of England, he was out with Steve Waugh and Shane Warne, and a boy came up to them, looks at Steve Waugh and goes 'Steve Waugh!' looks at Shane Warne and goes 'Shane Warne!' then looks at Gilchrist and says 'Are you Eric Gilchurch?'

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
My favourite belonged to a guy that I used to play with.

Anyone old enough to remember cars with steel bumper bars would know that they were shiny metal on the outside but frequently collected dirt on the back.

We had a guy in the team who went prematurely bald.

His nickname was "Bumper" - shiny on top, s**t underneath.