• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who is the Best Left Arm Spinner in the World?

Who is the Best Left Arm Spinner In The World

• Mohammad Rafique

Votes: 18 29.0%
  • Ashley Giles

Votes: 17 27.4%
  • Daniel Vettori

Votes: 18 29.0%
  • Ray Price

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • Other (Please State)

Votes: 6 9.7%

• Total voters

thierry henry

International Coach
Dunno about that Tim. Vettori's test average over a very long period of time is 38. He'll have to do wonders to get it down to anything anywhere near respectable.

bryce

International Regular
well he's got about the same amount of time he has been playing test cricket left to play test cricket which as you said is a very long time and he has been through the learning process and there is no reason why he shouldn't start to peak in the coming years.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Wasn't Vettori the youngest spinner to take 100 wickets in tests? and doesn't he also have 8 five wicket bags?.

That suggests to me that he has the potential to be far better than what he's currently achieving.
I don't know what went wrong over the last 3 years but it seems since the Natwest Trophy he's started to produce some good spells again.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
I saw Sri Lanka's Herath today bowling against pakistan. He doesnt seem bad at all. Surely good enough to be included in the short list ?

shaka

International Regular
spinners can last to their 40's, so it is plenty of time for him to lower his average.

bryce

International Regular
yeah sri lanka and bangladesh have a stack of quality left-arm spinners ( by quality i mean good domestic averages) but i haven't seen most of them bowl.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Vettori's average dropped from mid 38 to mid 36 after the 1st Bangladesh test which tends to indicate that if he has a good year consistently taking wickets he could end up with an average around 30-32.

shaka

International Regular
Vettori would love to get a couple of five wicket bags against Australia, that would really help him.

bryce

International Regular
wouldn't bet against it, the australian batsman normally have trouble with him and their batsmen are basically the same ones.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Craig said:
Which is proven against his superior Test record against Australia (better then his own Test record) and has done well v Sri Lanka IIRC.
Seeing as I was replying to a message from Tim about recent times, what does the Australia series have to do with it?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Tim said:
Vettori's average dropped from mid 38 to mid 36 after the 1st Bangladesh test which tends to indicate that if he has a good year consistently taking wickets he could end up with an average around 30-32.
He would need an absolutely stellar year.

Something like 24 wickets for 0 runs, or 50 for 900!

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
never say never! 8-)
Although its going to be tough with 2 tours against Australia & Sri Lanka thrown in aswell.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I know we never say never (look at the way Giles' numbers fell this summer), but with so many wickets behind him, he'll need to get incredible figures for a number of years to get it down to 32!

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Herath justifies my confidence ?? :D

4 for 64 in 32 overs in Lankan win.

Last edited:

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
true indian said:
i would say murali kartik.

look at his bowling in the tvs cup last year in ind to c y he is the best left-arm spinner
Oh I agree completely. All observations should be based on one series... especially if the person under observation hasn't performed otherwise. 8-)