• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* NZ Domestic Season

southern man

U19 Cricketer
Wilson shines in Southland victory
08 November 2004
By LOGAN SAVORY

Jeff Wilson kicked his 2004/05 cricket season off in fine style yesterday, playing a big part in Southland's comfortable six wicket win over Dunedin Metro.

The 50-over game was Wilson's first outing of the season.

It was hard to believe as the double All Black worked up some good pace on a slow wicket at Queens Park to take five for 34.

His performance would have pleased the Otago selectors as he is expected to play a big role in its 2004/05 campaign.

Wilson's performance was set up by a good display by Southland's opening bowlers Simon Murphy and Nic Turner.

Murphy and Turner claimed early wickets and had Metro struggling right from the outset at three for 19.

After Steve Brown (80) got the Metro innings back on track, Wilson was brought on and he finished its innings for just 186.

Despite losing opener Daryl Williams early in the chase, fellow opener Brad Sutherland assured his team got off to good start playing some excellent shots in his innings of 57.

AdvertisementAdvertisementDale ****er (49) also played well and looked as if he had assured himself a spot in the team for upcoming Hawke Cup games against Central Otago and North Otago.

****er is believed to be battling it out with Tim McClean, who scored nine on Sunday, and Greg McDowell for two spots in the Southland batting lineup.

A solid knock by Captain Geoff Folster (47) made sure his team got home to give Southland an encouraging victory.
Dunedin Metro were missing some good players, if they had them they would of beaten southland just like last time.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Mingster said:
I've always been interested in how fast Wilson bowls these days....high 130s?
No - he concentrates on line and length, I would say high 120s-low 130s.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Not a bad suggestion actually. They could be based out at Lincoln where the NZ Academy is.

Definately one way of tuning young talent if domestic sides don't want to pick them sooner.

anzac

International Debutant
yeah I'd vote for that - allows them to keep on a roll developing the skills in real situations week in / out................

Mingster

State Regular
Voltman said:
No - he concentrates on line and length, I would say high 120s-low 130s.
Last season, they were saying Wilson was reaching high 130s and was one of the quicker NZ seamers around the domestic circuit.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Mingster said:
Last season, they were saying Wilson was reaching high 130s and was one of the quicker NZ seamers around the domestic circuit.
I saw him bowl last season, and I would disagree.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
This thread should be renamed the official NZ Domestic season thread !!

none of the other three countries mentioned (SL/Pak/SA) have had a single post on this thread!! All the posts are regarding NZ season only.

Since there's enough contributors and discussion on NZ season alone, it deserves its own thread !!

There doesn't seem to be any interest about the domestic seasons of the other three countries!!

southern man

U19 Cricketer
Just been thinking about club cricket, what players in your club team do you think will play for their province this year.
I on and off support Carisbrook Dunedin
We have four guarantees in
Greg Todd
Aaron Redmond
Gareth Hopkins
Warren McSkimming

Then we have two younger players in
Sean Eathorne and Kieron Noema Barnett.

Pitty they spend most of the season without the players so end up winning jack all, because 2nd grade players spend most of the year playing in the top grade.

bryce

International Regular
i play for Old Boys in Hamilton,
we have guarantees in nick horseley
and two up and coming players in bj watling and ryan schutte.

anzac

International Debutant
shaka said:
Vincent got 71* in his first grade team (Takapuna), and also got 3 wickets
if he keeps up with his bowling then he brings himself back into contention for a squad place IMO.........

in a couple of seasons he & Macca could be sharing Astle's spot & role on my 'horses for cources'..........unless someone else comes along who can bowl and is good both Home & Away.........

shaka

International Regular
I have no idea, but he should be.he has gone past 50 every time he has gone into bat this season. He is also becoming a useful bowler

Kent

State 12th Man
James Franklin played for Collegians when they were in the Hazlett Trophy, which is Wellington's 2nd division. Vincent's just playing in the highest grade his club is qualified for I imagine.

http://club.aucklandcricket.co.nz

I didn't know Paul Strang was playing club cricket in NZ. Auckland could do worse than picking him as their import for the State Shield, but I presume he has a full-time contract with East Coast Bays.

http://www.ecbayscricket.co.nz/