• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* NZ Domestic Season

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
From what I can gather, the coaches down at the Academy believe NZ plan to have a genuine pace attack within the next 2 or 3 years with Sherlock, Butler, Leighton Burtt & Te Ahu Davis.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I think the key to Bond's success was that he was able to plan & execute bowling plans with Fleming. E.g. Damien Martyn back in 2001.
There was no doubt that pace helped him too, but his ability to be able to bowl where the Captain wanted him to bowl was second to none IMO.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Another 20 year old quick from Canterbury. We might see him play for Canterbury at some stage during the season.

Burtt & Davis recently went to the MRF Academy in Chennai to learn about fast bowling.

bryce

International Regular
yeah te ahu won that $20,000 promising cricketer scholarship from rexona which was also endorsed by stephen fleming, basically all that money goes on developing your cricket too so he must of been doing a fair bit of work.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I think domestic sides need to start realising that it is also partly their job to make sure NZ cricket is strong.
I hate it when I see a team like N.D fielding 3 batsmen & then 8 bits & pieces players...it's simply no good for anyone.

NZC needs to take 4 or 5 up & coming quicks, hone them at the Academy for a year & then tell the domestic sides to give them a go.
It'll also benefit our batsmen to bat against more pace as there's no doubt that when we come up against guys like Akhtar & Lee that we struggle due to constantly playing medium pace bowlers at domestic level.

bryce

International Regular
one thing that makes me angry is the continued inclusion of matthew hart, he is well past his best and had a shocking season last year, you sort of overstated the amount of bits and pieces players ND have, the only real bits and pieces player is mark orchard but he was selected primarily as a batsman after a couple of outsanding seasons at club cricket, he can't really help it if his bowling is perfectly suited to most of the tracks he plays on, joey yovich i guess has turned into a bit of a bits and pieces player because there are better quicks than him in ND now and his bowling has started to fall away so he has worked on his batting a bit more but currently would be regarded as a bits and pieces player, other than that i do not think there are any others, if you remeber to the state shield last year ND's 6th bowler was in fact james marshall, who is mediocre to say the least.

Last edited:

southern man

U19 Cricketer
There are a couple of decent young seem bowlers down here in Craig Smith and Matt Harvie. Harvie has already played for Otago and has a contract, while Smith will probarbly get a go this season with a few other up and comers.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I saw Matt Harvie last season, but he doesn't look that quick.
I've heard good things about Craig Smith though.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Tim said:
There was no doubt that pace helped him too, but his ability to be able to bowl where the Captain wanted him to bowl was second to none IMO.
Amongst NZ bowlers or World bowlers?

bryce

International Regular
i saw craig smith bowling at the under 19 world cup, he is a left arm bowler who is not very quick by anyones standards but gets a substansial amount of swing back into the right hander.

Kent

State 12th Man
Yovich century boosts ND at Lincoln

Northern Districts needed a significant effort from their middle-order to achieve a respectable total on the first day of their match with the New Zealand Academy XI in their match on Lincoln No 3 at the High Performance Centre at Lincoln University today.

The Academy XI asked Northern Districts to bat first and soon had James Marshall (18), Nick Horsley (0) and Grant Robinson (8) back in the tent for only 40 runs.

However, the seeds of recovery were sown by Matt Hart who scored 28 and Mark Orchard with 45, scored in 172 minutes, as they got the score through to 90 before Hart was dismissed. Llorne Howell scored five while 51 runs were added but at 142 for seven wickets it was still not the most satisfactory position for ND.

Joseph Yovich, proved the man for the occasion and he scored 102 from 180 balls, including 12 boundaries and three sixes. Graeme Aldridge was 23not out as the day ended with ND 269 for nine wickets.

All but Anton Devcich of the eight Academy bowlers used got among the wickets, the most successful being Chris Martin who had two for 40. Daryl Tuffey continued his rehabilitation with 10 overs costing one for 10. Leighton Burtt also bowled economically to take one for 29 from 17 overs.

Scores: Northern Districts 269-9 (J Yovich 102, M Orchard 45, M Hart 28; C Martin 2-40) met the NZ Academy XI.

anzac

International Debutant
so what's the weather been like so far and how are they doing with the pitches this year.....

I'm not only thinking in terms of their stated objective of providing more pace & bounce to encourage better stroke play, but also in terms of variation regarding pace, seam, swing & spin.............

anzac

International Debutant
Tim said:
I think domestic sides need to start realising that it is also partly their job to make sure NZ cricket is strong.
I hate it when I see a team like N.D fielding 3 batsmen & then 8 bits & pieces players...it's simply no good for anyone.

NZC needs to take 4 or 5 up & coming quicks, hone them at the Academy for a year & then tell the domestic sides to give them a go.
It'll also benefit our batsmen to bat against more pace as there's no doubt that when we come up against guys like Akhtar & Lee that we struggle due to constantly playing medium pace bowlers at domestic level.
another way of doing it would be the development of pitches with more pace & bounce..........that would start to sort then men out from the boys so far as the mediums go - they'd have to get their act together pdq or be turned into cannon fodder..........

I'd also have thought that wrist spin would have been the way to go in our conditions, or is it that it is just too easy on the slow & low tracks to punish the loose deliveries (wrist spin generally being not as accurate as finger spin), to allow them to be encouraged to develope??????

IMO the primary reason we excell in producing medium - medium fast seam bowlers is because of our pitches being slow & low & not encouraging much else regarding pace, bounce, swing or spin.........

until the pitches improve etc we will get more of the same and struggle to produce any of the latter - the likes of Bond & Vettori will continue to be one offs out of nowhere, and the other potential quicks will be more like Butler........bang it in short to get the bugger up around throat height - coz if it ain't it's over the rope..........

Last edited:

Kent

State 12th Man
anzac said:
so what's the weather been like so far and how are they doing with the pitches this year.....

I'm not only thinking in terms of their stated objective of providing more pace & bounce to encourage better stroke play, but also in terms of variation regarding pace, seam, swing & spin.............
The Lincoln complex always have flat, decent-paced pitches at their disposal by the looks of things.

We're just getting off artificials here in Wellington. We're starting to have some pretty decent weather so hopefully the Basin will quickly return to how it was for the 3rd SA test in March. Don't count on it though - we've just had a winter that was bound to put their soil-moisture readings off the charts at various stages.

chris.hinton

International Captain
Latest in the Paksitan Season.... Just in case you are at all interested in this as it is the Quaid e azam trophy

well heres the table

Karachi Whites 3 2 0 1 18
Sialkot 3 2 0 1 18
3 Peshawar 3 1 0 1 15
Rawalpindi 3 1 0 2 15
5 Faisalabad 2 1 0 1 9
Karachi Blues 3 1 2 0 9
7 Hyderabad 2 0 1 1 3
Multan 3 0 1 2 3
9 Lahore Blues 2 0 1 1 0
Lahore Whites 3 0 2 1 0
Quetta 3 0 2 1 0