• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who is more mediocre than Atherton and Hussain?

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Ok folks, name an England player who has played 50 Tests with plenty after the year 1990 and who is *more* mediocre than Hussain and/or Atherton.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
MR Ramprakash
GA Hick

Presumably just batsmen - maybe Butcher

EDIT - Alan Lamb, Mike Gatting

Last edited:

Scaly piscine

They aren't more mediocre, they all have far more ability and skill than Hussain and Atherton they're just flawed in other ways (haven't seen Lamb or Gatting play so I'm ignoring those).

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Scaly piscine said:
They aren't more mediocre, they all have far more ability and skill than Hussain and Atherton they're just flawed in other ways (haven't seen Lamb or Gatting play so I'm ignoring those).
Rubbish they are just more attractive to watch

steds

Hall of Fame Member
How dare you say that about Michael Atherton!!
He was f***ing most certanily not mediocre!!!! Ok, he wasn't a great, but he wasn't mediocre!

He laboured away at the crease at a time when England were losing to every team going and scored 16 test centuries and 46 fifties.
He mightn't have been pretty to watch, but England would have been up $hit creek without him!

tooextracool

International Coach
Scaly piscine said:
and you wanted to stop the richard-tooextracool long quote wars to make comments like these?

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Butcher 69
Cork 37
Crawley 37
DeFreitas 44
Edmonds 51
Emburey 64
Gatting 79
Hick 65
Lamb 79
Malcolm 40
Pringle 30
Ramprakash 52
Trescothick 54
Tufnell 42
White 30

Slightly widened the net to 30 Tests - but to rate Ramprakash and Hick over Atherton and Hussain is, well, just wrong. It's the sort of thing Richard does.

Scaly piscine

I don't rate Hick & Ramprakash above Atherton and Hussain in Tests, I merely said they (Hick & Ramprakash) had more class and ability. If they don't apply that to Test level that doesn't mean they're mediocre it just means they haven't performed at Test level, the class and ability is still there.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Neil Pickup said:
Because we don't like our heroes being slagged off :p
I don't like my heroes being slagged off either - good thing I have never seen Richard De Groen slagged off on here...

(Disclaimer: Grubby De Groen is not my hero).

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Scaly piscine said:
I don't rate Hick & Ramprakash above Atherton and Hussain in Tests, I merely said they (Hick & Ramprakash) had more class and ability. If they don't apply that to Test level that doesn't mean they're mediocre it just means they haven't performed at Test level, the class and ability is still there.
That's rubbish. The quality of a player isn't just what you defined as "class and ability", there's a lot more on the mental side. David Boon said that International cricket is 90% mental.

What you're arguing is entirely coherent with Richard's "poor shots" argument.

Scaly piscine

You obviously don't grasp what mediocre means - it means medium to inferior quality. It does not relate to performance or luck or anything else, only that the intrinsic skill of the player is low. For example Greece in Euro 2004 were a mediocre side, but they still won - they just won by better organisation and boring teams to death that doesn't make them a high quality side tho does it?

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Scaly piscine said:
You obviously don't grasp what mediocre means - it means medium to inferior quality. It does not relate to performance or luck or anything else, only that the intrinsic skill of the player is low. For example Greece in Euro 2004 were a mediocre side, but they still won - they just won by better organisation and boring teams to death that doesn't make them a high quality side tho does it?
It makes them a better team than a lot of people give them credit for (and the rest of the football teams in the world aren't any cop, anyway, there's not one side on a different tier to the rest).

Intrinsic skill to my mind does not exist as anything more than a hypothetical issue. Someone could be a really, really "skilled" Basketball player, but also three foot six, which would make him a fat lot of good.

shaka

International Regular
what about Jack (Robert Charles) Russell? He was slow but was solid and held his end up with Atherton against South Africa a few years back to save the match, which for all money was to be won by SA.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
both hussain and atherton were maybe limited batsmen compared to great stroke players, average in skill, hussain more so...but neither of them were mediocre, they more than made up for their deficiences with temperament and superb pressure-play...in fact both of them were huge overachievers and served their team with distinction....

sanza

Cricket Spectator
hhhaaaaa everyone

sorry mate cant answer that one because because its true. i just signed up to this how long have you been on this site?? go the kiwis!!!!!

Craig

World Traveller
Scaly piscine said:
There is a difference to playing defensively and basing your game around your strengths in defence and midfield.

And aren't you supposed to play to your strengths?

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Neil Pickup said:
Because we don't like our heroes being slagged off :p
Generally the worst 'slagging off' is reserved for heroes.

If they are truly heroes, they dont become any the worse for it and all those who consider them heroes should realise that. Resorting to disputing/debating it might show a bit of doubt in your own minds...dont you think ??

PS : Sometimes it is BECAUSE they are (have been) heroes that they have those who hate their guts (read heroism). Lok at the number of people who talk absolute c*** on this forum about much much bigger heroes than the two in quetion here. Whats new :huh: :huh:

Last edited: