• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England u19 winter team.

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
Well the acadamy England U-19 team to tour Malaysia and India was announced today. Some good names to look out for in the future for me would be Steven Davis (no bias honest :P) and Mark Lawson ..cant say i know much about the rest...any one got any views on them?

Full squad:
Moeen Ali (Warks),
Steven Davies (Worcs; captain/wk),
Joe Denly (Kent),
Mark Footitt (Notts),
Will Gifford (Worcs),
David Griffiths (Hants),
Ben Harmison (Durham),
Adam Harrison (Glam),
Mark Lawson (Yorks),
Steven Mullaney (Lancs),
Michael O'Shea (Glam),
John Simpson (Lancs; wk),
Tom Smith (Lancs),
Mitchell Stokes (Hants).

(taken from bbc website).

steds

Hall of Fame Member
SpaceMonkey said:
Steven Mullaney (Lancs)
I caught him in the HF Bullogh Trophy Final this year :D (it was Newton u17's vs Leigh u17's - Newton won :D :D :D )
I also scored 2 more than him in that match (4) :D

He's a good player, but a bit lazy at club level. He tries to slog everything through mid wicket( even if it's outside off stump)

twctopcat

International Regular
Though supposedly more batsmen than bowler. Bowls a bit of medium pace, sounds a bit like rikki clarke, doesn't look too disimilar either, which is unfortunate for the lad.Have a look.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Moeen Ali (Warks) - another in the Ali family. Hopefully he's better than the others.
Steven Davies (Worcs; captain/wk) - does look promising.
Joe Denly (Kent) - did naff all for Kent this summer.
Mark Footitt (Notts) - er...
Will Gifford (Worcs) - okay, if this is the same guy Will Gifford we did video analysis on in the Level 2 coaching course, then I'm worried. Think the sort of foot movement that Marcus manages on an off-day, then half it.
David Griffiths (Hants) - um?
Ben Harmison (Durham) - it's in the genes, he's gonna be a legend.
Adam Harrison (Glam) - another we video analysed, a few issues but nowt serious - following his brother David to England contention
Mark Lawson (Yorks) - token leggie
Steven Mullaney (Lancs) - er?
Michael O'Shea (Glam) - uh?
John Simpson (Lancs; wk) - um?
Tom Smith (Lancs) - erm?
Mitchell Stokes (Hants) - ah?

Ah well, I knew a bit.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
John Simpson played for Netherlands U-15 in the costcutter u-15 world challenge in 2000. He made 0 (Bowled Ravi Rampaul) as NL were bowled out for 31 by West Indies, Made 18 (batting 11) as they made 110 vs India(Pathan was playing), then was run out for 1 aginst England, where u-19 teammate Harrision played against him.

Wierd

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
superkingdave said:
John Simpson played for Netherlands U-15 in the costcutter u-15 world challenge in 2000. He made 0 (Bowled Ravi Rampaul) as NL were bowled out for 31 by West Indies, Made 18 (batting 11) as they made 110 vs India(Pathan was playing), then was run out for 1 aginst England, where u-19 teammate Harrision played against him.

Wierd
He ain't gonna play unless Davies breaks, then?

tresco's army

Cricket Spectator
Will Gifford (Worcs) - okay, if this is the same guy Will Gifford we did video analysis on in the Level 2 coaching course, then I'm worried. Think the sort of foot movement that Marcus manages on an off-day, then half it.

Played with Gifford for the last 4 years, very talented player who is now at Loughbrough. Will do well for the u19 team- he did well in Worscestershire 2's last year. As for poor footwork- not sure that I agree with you, having seen him play, I always thought his foot movement was extravagant if anything, off back and front foot. Very elegant player when at his best and has teh drive as well.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Well, given that my experience of seeing him runs to three shots on a video in a conference room, I'd back your judgment over mine :D

Welcome to CW.

willb88

Cricket Spectator
Steve Mullaney

I know Steve Mullaney,he plays for my club, Leigh in the Liverpool and District Competition. He is the best player for his age I have ever seen. Does anyone else know of a player of 17 years old scoring a double century for his age group. Not many, so just because a guy from Newton caught him in the final doesn't mean he's not worthy of his place in the U19 squad.

willb88

Cricket Spectator
Like I said, not many and really Ashington, no offence to Harmison but its not county level. And we all know how good Flintoff is so if he can do it, then it shows you how good Mullaney will go on to be.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
willb88 said:
I know Steve Mullaney,he plays for my club, Leigh in the Liverpool and District Competition. He is the best player for his age I have ever seen. Does anyone else know of a player of 17 years old scoring a double century for his age group. Not many, so just because a guy from Newton caught him in the final doesn't mean he's not worthy of his place in the U19 squad.
I never said he wasn't worthy...I just wanted to put it in because*sniff*it was the*sniff*proudest moment of my life*sniff*

*breaks down into tears*

willb88

Cricket Spectator
Leigh v Newton Final

steds said:
I never said he wasn't worthy...I just wanted to put it in because*sniff*it was the*sniff*proudest moment of my life*sniff*

*breaks down into tears*
Do you know what your umpire said at the end of the match on the square, he said to somebody that he gave Neil Williams out even tho he was nowhere near LBW and he nicked it and he came in to the changing rooms and apologised for "joking". Neil could have won that game just as much as Steve without a cheating 2nd team captain umpire.
Neil can't be far off an England call-up anyway, when the current 'kepper moves up.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
willb88 said:
Who are you anyway Steds, are you that Fearnley guy?
NO!!!!!!!! At least I hope I'm not David Fearnley :)
I'm called Sean Bennett

Who are you?

willb88

Cricket Spectator
Will Banner, the guy who got 26(highest score of the final) and played the ****test shot ever to get out to near the end. (I was running out of partners.)

steds

Hall of Fame Member
I batted at 7 or 8 or summat and got run out in the last over(going for a bye!)
I then stood at mid on/third man all through your innings