• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

TEMPRAMENT !! Who has the best ?

Bapu Rao Swami

U19 12th Man
I think these blokes have great temperment, the same that Sir Bradman talks about;

- Ricky Ponting (reeks of confidence, has matured very much, his comments prior to each test tells you that, I remember his eagerness and nervousness prior to the TVS tourney last yr in India)

- Mike Clarke (reeks of confidence again, very matured, you can see him tapping his feet prior to being called to bat, usually has headphones on)

- Tendulkar (well, he has spoken much about how he spent much time without sleep prior to the Indo-Pak wc 03 encounter & Chennai test & Sydney test early this year)

Basically I feel batsmen who bat on the big occassions must have a great temperment and be very enthusiastic, like Inzamam & Fleming. I can tell Flintoff too is amongst such people.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
to stop byes which I seem to recall someone in the Asia Cup winning a game by.
(Yeah I know I'm quoting myself but it won't let me edit)
Was actually a bonus point which turned out to be critical in getting India into the final of the Asia Cup. India needed 6 off the last over, over went block/push for 0, play and miss 0, 4 runs, play and miss 0, play and miss 1 bye, play and miss 1 bye. Kumble was batting for the first 5 balls, Balaji for the last delivery. Mohammad Sami was the bowler, wonder why nobody said they'd have him bowling the last over when 6 were needed... (don't answer that)

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Scaly piscine said:
When the ball goes past the edge (or whatever) to the keeper, if there is no close-in fielder (there usually isn't in an ODI at that stage) the only chance to stop the bye is to throw at the stumps and hit direct, otherwise they score a bye. If there's a short-leg they can go to the stumps and collect the keeper's throw and run them out if the throw is any good.
Ah I see. However, some proper desperation backing up would negate the short leg too, as a direct hit would be all that would run out the non-striker as in most run outs.

Western Warrior

School Boy/Girl Captain
I'd also have to add Zimbabwean captain Taibu to the list. He is young, he has been thrown into the deep end and a lot is expected of him. All this combined would be too much for many however Taibu has led from the front, has not resorted to rolling out the usual raft of excuses and keeps growing as a player and a captain.

I would not wish his current circumstances on anyone so his efforts have to be recognised.