• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

TEMPRAMENT !! Who has the best ?

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Western Warrior said:
I agree also, especially in the early years before age and injury took 5-7km/h off his pace. The inswing he got, combined with pace in the mid to high 140km/h made him almost unplayable.

That said he did have a problem with batsman moving down the line to attack him. He tended to take it personally and start bowling short which gave the batsman a chance.
Who? Waqar or Ambrose ?

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Western Warrior said:
Mr Younis
Except in the latter part of his career not many dared to come down the wicket to him though :D

I remember Jadeja in Bangalore I think. during the world cup was it ?

Sudeep

International Captain
Most of who I think are temperamental have been mentioned. Would only like to add Kumar Sangakkara's name.

Western Warrior

School Boy/Girl Captain
SJS said:
Except in the latter part of his career not many dared to come down the wicket to him though :D

I remember Jadeja in Bangalore I think. during the world cup was it ?
I can also remember Andrew Symonds during the 03 World Cup. That second full toss (throw) from Younis was pure frustration. If anyone had the courage and talent to come forward to the likes of Waqar then it would pay dividends (or end in a wicket).

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Western Warrior said:
I can also remember Andrew Symonds during the 03 World Cup. That second full toss (throw) from Younis was pure frustration. If anyone had the courage and talent to come forward to the likes of Waqar then it would pay dividends (or end in a wicket).
Yes but that was at the fag end of his career.

Western Warrior

School Boy/Girl Captain
SJS said:
Yes but that was at the fag end of his career.
He, like all bowlers, did have bad days throughout his career.

There was the 0/65 against the Windies in Sharjah in 1993, where Lara took him to the cleaners.

There's also the 3/70 against New Zealand at Eden Park in 1995. He got Spearman and Parore but not before they came forward to him.

Also, the 1/73 against South Africa at Kingsmead where Kallis punting him and most of the other Pakistani bowlers to all ends of the field.

However, again, like all bowlers he did have bad days. :D

Waughney

International Debutant
Western Warrior said:
Sorry all, Waughney is right. It was a biography in which excerpts were written by Mark himself. Yet despite that it is still an excellent read with very honest and accurate insights into one of the most elegant players of the modern era.
Yep, I would recommend it to anyone.

twctopcat

International Regular
Who would you have to bowl the last over of a game with 6 being needed off it for the win? Different sort of temperament needed i suppose to the metronomic consistency of say Hadlee/Mcgrath. I would prob go for Wasim.

FRAZ

International Captain
twctopcat said:
Who would you have to bowl the last over of a game with 6 being needed off it for the win? Different sort of temperament needed i suppose to the metronomic consistency of say Hadlee/Mcgrath. I would prob go for Wasim.
Absolutely no doubt about that . Hey and keep on watching the location of the posters who are gonna oppose Wasim .......
Stay Kool

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
twctopcat said:
Joel Garner.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
twctopcat said:
Depends a little on whether it's 2 proper batsmen or 2 tailenders. You couldn't go far wrong with Waqar or Wasim tho as people have said. Of people who are playing now it's pretty tough, I might go way with Gayle because he's so laid back and is unlikely to give any easy hit which might be good enough to win sometimes, also with a decent wicket keeper you wouldn't need to have like a short leg in to stop byes which I seem to recall someone in the Asia Cup winning a game by.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Scaly piscine said:
also with a decent wicket keeper you wouldn't need to have like a short leg in to stop byes which I seem to recall someone in the Asia Cup winning a game by.
How would a short leg stop byes?

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
When the ball goes past the edge (or whatever) to the keeper, if there is no close-in fielder (there usually isn't in an ODI at that stage) the only chance to stop the bye is to throw at the stumps and hit direct, otherwise they score a bye. If there's a short-leg they can go to the stumps and collect the keeper's throw and run them out if the throw is any good.

tooextracool

International Coach
Craig said:
Besides from batsmen, what about any bowlers out their who have the best temprament?
i dont think temperament matters too much as a bowler, there've been plenty of bowlers like mcgrath who arent known to have a very good temperament yet they dont seem to err too much in accuracy even when they get smashed all over the place.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
twctopcat said:
akram has been a better end-over bowler than the other two greats mentioned...in fact i would say he is arguably the best one-day fast bowler ever....