• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

TEMPRAMENT !! Who has the best ?

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
In Bradman's Art of Cricket ( the finest cricket manual ever written) there is a chapter at the end on temprament. It is very interesting how he describes which batsman will have a better temprament.

' Next time you see a batsman wending his way to the wickets, give a thought to these problems. He is human like you, and desperately anxious to do well.

Is it any wonder temprament plays such an important part in batting?

Strangely enough, the player with the best temprament is seldom the phlegmatic, calm, unemotional person who gives you the impression that nothing could excite him.

Nor is it the nervy, excitable fellow who can't do his pads up, can't find his gloves or even think straight.

I always liked to see a player who was extremely concious of his responsibilitiy and all that went with it, who was really very thrilled and enthusiastic under the surface but who kept his emotions under control. The sort of chap who would find it difficult to sleep or eat as usual just before a test match. That type usually posesses a high degree of nervous energy which comes into play at the critical hour.

He may be anxious on the morning of the match, but once he sets foot on the arena he is in ful command of himself and his reflexes are quick. This man will play better in a test than in a picnic match. He is the chap for the big occasion.'

Which batsman, in your opinion, best epitomises the type of player the Don has in mind ?

shaka

International Regular
probably Richardson at the moment, although i think in the current innings, he was far too relaxed, did not think much of Bangladesh perhaps?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Stephen Rodger Waugh of recent vintage. The guy I'd choose to see off six balls to save my life. Very impressive bloke all round.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
BoyBrumby said:
Stephen Rodger Waugh of recent vintage. The guy I'd choose to see off six balls to save my life. Very impressive bloke all round.
Somehow, I thought of Dravid.

anxious on the morning of the match, but once he sets foot on the arena he is in ful command

extremely concious of his responsibilitiy

very thrilled and enthusiastic under the surface but who kept his emotions under control.

a high degree of nervous energy which comes into play at the critical hour.

will play better in a test than in a picnic match

I have always felt he is a bit anxious as he comes in. His record shows that he performs better on the bigger stage/bigger occasion.

Yes Steve Waugh has a similar record but I saw Dravid as I was reading :)

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
deeps said:
steve waugh and rahul dravid easily
i did not think of Waugh since Bradman says 'Strangely enough, the player with the best temprament is seldom the phlegmatic, calm, unemotional person who gives you the impression that nothing could excite him.'

I thought Waugh was just that kind of person. Doesnt mean Waugh does not have the temprament but that he did not fit Bradman's description enough for me to thinkl of him.

In fact when I sakesd the question on this thread it was not for people to say who THEY thought had the best tempramment but who they thought fitted Bradman's specified profile the best :D

Western Warrior

School Boy/Girl Captain
Hello All,

Good to see cricket discussion alive and well.

Looking at this thread I am surprised that no one mentioned SRW younger brother, a certain M.E. Waugh. Here was a man as relaxed and as composed as they come. He was even known to fall asleep waiting to wait.

Not to mention strokeplay that can only be described as excuisite.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Western Warrior said:
Hello All,

Good to see cricket discussion alive and well.

Looking at this thread I am surprised that no one mentioned SRW younger brother, a certain M.E. Waugh. Here was a man as relaxed and as composed as they come. He was even known to fall asleep waiting to wait.

Not to mention strokeplay that can only be described as excuisite.
I thought he was a tad bit too relaxed and composed. that bit of anxiety before the test that Bradman talks of was missing.

Mark Waugh is similar in temprament to Laxman. Relaxed, cool, almost detatched.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
First names that came to my mind were Dravid and Strauss (Anglo-bias there in all likelihood). Dravid's the current Test batsman I'd pick to face six balls for my life (now that Gary Kirsten's retired. Graham Thorpe is usually there when it matters, too.

tooextracool

International Coach
SJS said:
i did not think of Waugh since Bradman says 'Strangely enough, the player with the best temprament is seldom the phlegmatic, calm, unemotional person who gives you the impression that nothing could excite him.'
sounds like nasser hussain....

Jnr.

First Class Debutant
Dravid, to me, has the best temperament, and was the first name I thought of upon reading this thread.