• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Indian Domestic Season 2004/2005

chris.hinton

International Captain
Do any of your fans like the current domestic Status, do you think it should be Changed? Play more matches?

What do you think

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
chris.hinton said:
Do any of your fans like the current domestic Status, do you think it should be Changed? Play more matches?

What do you think
Schedules need to change. Provisions, and if needed, rules, should be made for international players to play in domestic matches.

Other improvements that can help are discussed in the thread Improvements in Indian domestic cricket.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Swapnil Hazare and Ranadeb Bose should be watched- they're listed as RFM on CricInfo, while all other fast/medium bowlers are listed as plain old right-arm medium(RM).

venx86

Cricket Spectator
Munaf Patel wont represent Mumbai this season. Insiders within the MCA tell me that they werent satisfied with all the consistent injuries and performances. I cant yet confirm his release, but at this stage I can only say that he could be sacked sooner than later !

Cheers
Venkat

venx86

Cricket Spectator
Mumbai Squad

Mumbai Squad for the game against Railways on 7th

The team: Sairaj Bahutule (Capt), Wasim Jaffer, Vinayak Mane, Vinod Kambli (vice-capt), Amol Muzumdar, Vineet Indulkar, Ramesh Powar, Vinayak Samant (wicketkeeper), Nilesh Kulkarni, Avishkar Salvi, Santosh Shinde, Swapnil Hazare, Abhijeet Shetye, Wilkin Mota and Bhavin Thakkar.

Wilkin Mota and Shetye are likely to be named as stand-byes and Shetye specifically been called coz I hear that Vinayak Samant may be carrying a niggle or two. Mota has really impressed in the club/times shield season so far and has deservedly been given a chance. Hope to see the Lions fire from all cylinders after some disappointments against both Rest of India and Australia !!

Cheers
Venkat

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Baroda was the team that featured Zaheer Khan. Many of his best bowling performances came when he played for them, which got him into the national team. However, there's still the original, Rakesh Patel, who can take a few wickets, though his average is not impressive. Not to mention he's a small man. Irfan Pathan should return to strengthen their bowling, though he should also score more runs. He must play a full season for Baroda if they have to win the trophy. There is the rookie Shekhar Joshi as well as the senior Irfan Pathan as backup. The spinners are not too impressive. The batting is average, and a lot will depend on the Parabs, Connor Williams and Jacob Martin. Of course, Nayan Mongia will never stop trying to convince the selectors.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Another potential powerhouse is Punjab. With new coach Intikhab Alam, an improved performance is expected, since he's always in the action. Reetinder Sodhi should have a good series. Harbhajan should also play for a whole season and use it to improve his batting. One player who should not miss a single game for Punjab is Yuvraj Singh, and he should take every single opportunity to re-announce himself before the selectors, especially if he takes Punjab to a series victory. The stodgy Dinesh Mongia will also be crucial, though there may be new batsmen to watch out for. The pace attack of Gagandeep and Vineet Sharma is impressive.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
venx86 said:
Wilkin Mota and Shetye are likely to be named as stand-byes and Shetye specifically been called coz I hear that Vinayak Samant may be carrying a niggle or two. Mota has really impressed in the club/times shield season so far and has deservedly been given a chance.
Times of India (Mumbai) have branded Wilkin as an all-rounder, so his progress will be interesting. If they lose Samant, they will have problems, given his reliable keeping to spinners and good lower-order batting. But where's Robin Morris?

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
How about a Super Cup of the top six teams in Ranji, in an ODI series at the end of the season? It's better than that Challenger nonsense any day.

venx86

Cricket Spectator
**Domestic Update**

Batsman J.R.Madanagopal has left Tamil Nadu and joined Kerala

ex-Kerala star Sujith Somasundar has gone back to Karnataka and likewise C Hemanth Kumar has returned to Tamil Nadu from Kerala !

Cheers

venx86

Cricket Spectator
Well Arjun...

There is an One Day tournament sponsored by the BCCI already - Ranji Limited Overs Cricket. I think Mumbai won it last year (correct me if I am wrong) and I feel that this is good enough for the moment.

Yes the Challenger needs to be replaced, but having said that, the Challengers have been the place where the "fringe" players make their impression apart from the A teams that they play !!

Cheers

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
venx86 said:
Well Arjun...

There is an One Day tournament sponsored by the BCCI already - Ranji Limited Overs Cricket. I think Mumbai won it last year (correct me if I am wrong) and I feel that this is good enough for the moment.

Yes the Challenger needs to be replaced, but having said that, the Challengers have been the place where the "fringe" players make their impression apart from the A teams that they play !!

Cheers
The Challengers are a predictable series with an Indian main team, an A-team and some rank outsiders. Not really worth a watch. Besides, it promotes individual performances over team performance. It's just some sort of gimmick which nobody buys- hardly any sponsors! At least the performance of a team in the Super Cup will be better, since the players know each other better.

That Ranji ODI series is only Zonal, and the zone winners come together, different from my plan.

venx86

Cricket Spectator
Hmmm

Who do ya guys back to win this season's Ranji Trophy (Elite) ??

My vote goes for Mumbai yet again.....they seem to be a complete side now ! Just improving by the year ! I jus feel they'll be too good for the others. What say ??

Tamil Nadu - will they be 3rd time lucky ?? I doubt...but cant say anything at this stage...

Delhi - I hope they improve as they are expected to do well and Delhi are a side Mumbai is genuinely jittery about.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Baroda, Karnataka and Punjab are also in with a good chance. Railways and Bengal may be a surprise package.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
How about an Indian 20-20? That concept has been tried in England, then Sri Lanka, and may soon start in SA. It will encourage big-hitting, and on high-bounce pitches and with tennis balls, will have something for the fast bowlers, too.

venx86

Cricket Spectator
I dont think it will work in the sub continent. Did u see the SL 20-20 ?? I was at Premadasa when it happened, as I went to SL for my media work. The turnout was pretty disappointing and well since 2 of the more unexpected teams played the finals (Chilaw and Colts), no one knew the names etc. The ***** are trying it...so r the Bangers....lets see how they perform and if feasible, then why not try it ?

venx86

Cricket Spectator
Number of Teams

Hey Arjun...

We got 28 teams playing our domestic cricket....how can we reduce them ? I think its a heck of a lot of teams and well if u observe, none of the plate team players are getting a chance. Do u have any idea to reduce the number of teams and yet have a perfectly competitive domestic setup ??

I feel Mumbai, Maharashtra and Vidharba could be merged (Into Western Provinces). Similarly Andhra Pradesh and Hyderabad could merge so could Kerala and Tamil Nadu. And well in the east, teams like Tripura, Assam etc can merge with Bengal and Orissa to form the Eastern Provinces. Basically the Zonal system could work here, but just that this could have 2 teams from each zone. It reduces the 28 teams to just 10 and provides more competition among the players.

My Teams would be :-

Mumbai + Maharashtra + Vidharba = Western Provinces 'I'
Saurashtra + Gujarat + Baroda = Western Provinces 'II'
Bihar + Bengal + Orissa = Eastern Provinces 'I'
Tripura + Assam = Eastern Provinces 'II'
Andhra + Hyderabad + Goa = Southern Provinces 'I'
Karnataka + Tamil Nadu + Kerala = Southern Provinces 'II'
Delhi + J&K + Himachal = Northern Provinces 'I'
Punjab + Haryana + Services = Northern Provinces 'II'
Railways + MP + Rajasthan + UP = Central Provinces

I think this makes for better competition and the team would be competitive. If this is in practice, then the players will also be on their guard as there will be pressure from other talented players from 3 or 2 states to perform !

What do u think of this model ?? Anythin can be improved upon ?

venx86

Cricket Spectator
Overseas players

Ive been following and writing about domestic cricket for sometime now and I wanted to know why Indians are averse to giving opportunities to overseas players. Do they fear them using it as an experience they could use when their country tours India ? I mean, it is extremely important to have these guys to play with a ranji team coz u can learn many things which u wont in the normal course of the tournament. I think we have opened our doors to foreign teams playing in our domestic tournaments, but its time some foreign players get a chance to play for Indian teams.