• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Wagg banned till Jan 2006.

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
Well i havent seen it mentioned in any threads on here (apologies if it has) But Wagg was banned today till Jan 2006. He should suit himself extremely lucky that he's only gonna miss 1 County season instead of the 2 he SHOULD have got really. They say they were lenient cos he owned up to it but he didnt really have much choice when cocaine was found in his system.

Also Warks have (rightly) cancelled his contract but will continue to help him through his ban to get over his addiction and cope financially i guess.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Addiction?

First I heard about that.

I think it's fair enough seeing as he didn't ever try to hide it when caught - considering the denials from certain footballers born on 7th November 1978 and then ended up with 8 months.

a massive zebra

International Captain
marc71178 said:
Addiction?

First I heard about that.

I think it's fair enough seeing as he didn't ever try to hide it when caught - considering the denials from certain footballers born on 7th November 1978 and then ended up with 8 months.
Oh you were born on the same day as Rio Ferdinand?

Still, there are differences between you. You appear to have a far higher IQ but much less money. :happy:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
a massive zebra said:
Oh you were born on the same day as Rio Ferdinand?
I was, and it's been fun tracking his career since I found out he was born on the same day (about 10 years ago)

a massive zebra said:
Still, there are differences between you. You appear to have a far higher IQ but much less money. :happy:
I wouldn't say know to his money ;)

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
well its quoted as

However, it will provide the best possible advice, support and encouragement to Graham during his rehabilitation period.
so maybe i took too many liberties to say addiction :)

bryce

International Regular
i do not know why he just doesn't get a private warning instead of it being made public and getting a long ban, its no big deal its not like coke is performance enhancing or anything like that.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I do think he can consider himself a little unlucky to end up with 15 months after he at least had the Max Walls to hold his hands up & admit it.

Especially when a certain other cricketer was caught with a known masking agent in his system, came up with a c*ck & bull story about his mother & wanting to look slim on telly & only got a year. 8-)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
How do we know it was *ock-and-bull?
For all we know Warne could have been telling the truth - same way Ferdinand could have.
It all depends on how much you want to hate the players (or more, in Ferdinand's case, his team).

Scallywag

Banned
BoyBrumby said:
I do think he can consider himself a little unlucky to end up with 15 months after he at least had the Max Walls to hold his hands up & admit it.

Especially when a certain other cricketer was caught with a known masking agent in his system, came up with a c*ck & bull story about his mother & wanting to look slim on telly & only got a year. 8-)
I dont think you know the whole story, the guy could be a dealer who sells to schoolkids. He may be connected to the drug cartels. Well thats what you would say if it was Warnie.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Maybe it might be what some one-eyed anti-Warne correspondants would say but those of us who've got some sense have actually acknowledged that Warne's version of events is not remotely implausible.
Personally I'm not going to worry about whether he took the masking-agents to mask or for an innocuous reason - I'm happy that he's served the time he was given and has come back hungrier for it.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Richard said:
Maybe it might be what some one-eyed anti-Warne correspondants would say but those of us who've got some sense have actually acknowledged that Warne's version of events is not remotely implausible.
Personally I'm not going to worry about whether he took the masking-agents to mask or for an innocuous reason - I'm happy that he's served the time he was given and has come back hungrier for it.
Well, if you believe Warnie's little tale I can tell you that I have a bridge in London for sale. Going at a reasonable price. :D

Seriously tho, I will admit to not being the biggest fan of Warne as a bloke, but that doesn't alter the fact that his story did not have the ring of verisimilitude I'm afraid.

That said the world of cricket would be a poorer place without his craft.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I've seen seemingly inconceivable tales dismissed and turn-out to be true beforehand. So have you, probably.
Plenty did point to Warne's taking them to mask steriods which enabled him to recover too quickly from the shoulder.
The only person who truly knows, probably, is Warne himself.
I also fail to see what he really had to gain by lying.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
BoyBrumby said:

yes, yes.........and if it was Warne that took cocaine.........