Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking Ahead...

School Boy/Girl Cricketer

Looking Ahead...

How do you guys see Pakistan's chances in the test series against Australia and those of England in South Africa ?
    Last edited by Spetsnatz; 18-10-2004 at 04:46 AM.
    In 1995, 16 commandos of the GRU Spetsnatz went
    head to head against 16 US ARMY Rangers in Alaska in ten tests of physical strength and endurance.
    Final Result: Spetsnatz 9 US Army Rangers 1

RIP Vladimir Belyanov (d December 24 1942) Tamanskaya Division (Taman Guards) - Pitomnik Airfield, Stalingrad

SJS
    Virus 2 Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Spetsnatz
    How do you guys see Pakistan's chances in Australia and those of England in South Africa ?
    Pakistan has the batsmen to tackle the Aussies. Although I wish the openers were a bit more selective in stroke making.

The pace attack is not bad at all . The only rider would be for Shoaib to be banned fropm looking at the speed gun.

I think the relatively weak area is the spin department. I dont know if Mushtaq Ahmeds best days are behind him. Its a shame that Saqlain is not getting his bag of tricks back. With these two on top of their game, Pakistan would give the Aussies a run.

I hope their fielding continues to show the improvement which is seen of late.

State Vice-Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by SJS
    Pakistan has the batsmen to tackle the Aussies. Although I wish the openers were a bit more selective in stroke making.

The pace attack is not bad at all . The only rider would be for Shoaib to be banned fropm looking at the speed gun.

I think the relatively weak area is the spin department. I dont know if Mushtaq Ahmeds best days are behind him. Its a shame that Saqlain is not getting his bag of tricks back.
    I hope this comes back to haunt me, but I can see Pakistan getting a bit of a hiding.

The batting still looks over-reliant on Inzy and Youhana, though Hameed looks a fabulous talent. Not convinced by the openers and I think it's crucial that they perform and give Inzy/YY the chance to dominate rather than survive.

From what I've seen, the pace attack is potentially pretty good, but I'm not sure about the fitness of Shabbir Ahmed and Umar Gul. Without these two, Pakistan may rely too heavily on the mercurial Shoaib.

With regard to spin, what about Kaneria? Do you think he'll trouble the Aussies?

International Regular twctopcat's Avatar
    Will be a big test of SA's nerve, considering they're in a bit of a slum and England haven't been doing too badly in tests lately. If the pitches have a bit of bounce they might succumb to Harmison early and it would be hard seeing them make anything out of the series. But then if Kallis,Gibbs and Smith etc perform you never know. If England bowl well i see an English victory though.
    R.I.P Fardin Qayyumi (Cricket Player)

'Last one on drugs is a queer,' yells portillo..
    Hope is a good thing, maybe even the best of things. And no good thing ever dies......
    Self appointed president of the KPPAS

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
    Quote Originally Posted by twctopcat
    Will be a big test of SA's nerve, considering they're in a bit of a slum and England haven't been doing too badly in tests lately. If the pitches have a bit of bounce they might succumb to Harmison early and it would be hard seeing them make anything out of the series. But then if Kallis,Gibbs and Smith etc perform you never know. If England bowl well i see an English victory though.
    England have a huge chance IMO of beating RSA. I think the key is going to be how good the bowling support for Harmison is.

State Vice-Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by Spetsnatz
    How do you guys see Pakistan's chances in the test series against Australia and those of England in South Africa ?
    Without checking, I'd guess it's a long time since anyone other than Australia won a series in South Africa (apart from South Africa, of course), but England must start as favourites.

Perhaps the biggest concern would be whether Harmison and Flintoff get enough support from the other bowlers.

EDIT: Hadn't seen your last post Spetsnatz - I wasn't copying!
    Last edited by garage flower; 18-10-2004 at 05:15 AM.

SJS
    Virus 2 Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by garage flower
    I hope this comes back to haunt me, but I can see Pakistan getting a bit of a hiding.

The batting still looks over-reliant on Inzy and Youhana, though Hameed looks a fabulous talent. Not convinced by the openers and I think it's crucial that they perform and give Inzy/YY the chance to dominate rather than survive.

From what I've seen, the pace attack is potentially pretty good, but I'm not sure about the fitness of Shabbir Ahmed and Umar Gul. Without these two, Pakistan may rely too heavily on the mercurial Shoaib.

With regard to spin, what about Kaneria? Do you think he'll trouble the Aussies?
    Kaneria is the best Pakistan has at present but I think they will always prefer Afridi to him since they see the difference in bowling as much less and in batting there isnt a comparison. Also the new coach seems to have great faith in Afridi.

But you are right. Kaneria has lots of potential.

I dont think he 'bites' off the wicket as Kumble does. The orthodox, roll of the wrist leg spinners have been less successful against the Aussies traditionally. It is either the orthodox big spinning off spinners or the Kumble type of high arm, kicking, legbreak/googly bowlers who trouble them more.

SJS
    Virus 2 Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by garage flower

?
    If this happens it wil be due to lack of a good start. Pakistan's openers are too aggressive and play the same game irrespective of bowlers, circumstances or wickets. I had once termed it as misplaced bravado. I still cant find a better term to describe the way they display their unbridled talent.

I know so does Sehwag. But Sehwag and Gilchrist are not great examples for youngsters to follow since they are a law unto themselves. PLUS their strokeplay is not unidimentional. They play almost all the strokes in the game, off both feet, with equal skill. This isnt true of many players including the more circumspect.

I think England will beat South Africa easily if there is something in the pitches. England still struggle on flat pitches without pace & bounce in them - teams will rack up 500+ and then England batsmen won't concentrate properly because it's all too easy then get out to wafts outside off-stump and contrive to lose.

Pakistan will get thrashed I think, can't have off days against Australia.

International Vice-Captain KennyD's Avatar
    ^agree theres class in the pakistan team, but enough to beat the aussies?

nah!
    Quote Originally Posted by SupaFreak2005
    Well Simon and Xavier hit on all the females but the ladies all want Kenny :naughty:
    Quote Originally Posted by steds
    all 3 of them?

SJS
    Virus 2 Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by KennyD
    ^agree theres class in the pakistan team, but enough to beat the aussies?

nah!
    Fair enough comment.

International Debutant Waughney's Avatar
    Outback Aus. Answer's yes, the middle of nowhere
    Pakistan definitely needs to find some sort of consistency to seriously challenge Australia, same goes for England and South Africa. Their best chance of winning would probably be against South Africa.
    Member of MSC - Murali Supporters Club

I'm not too dissimilar a batsman to Bradman.
    Both of us have batting averages below 100.

actually one thing Im worried about for the aussies is the next ashes series. WIth the Poms looking the best they have in like 15 years i worry just a little if England have their guns blazing and their pitches are suiting them, well i just wonder if it will be the closest ashes series for ages.

SJS
    Virus 2 Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by KennyD
    actually one thing Im worried about for the aussies is the next ashes series. WIth the Poms looking the best they have in like 15 years i worry just a little if England have their guns blazing and their pitches are suiting them, well i just wonder if it will be the closest ashes series for ages.
    Sure it will be the closest for years. Australia are looking a lesser dominant force and England are resurgent. But whether the gap is bridged ...doubtful ..very doubtful.

Quote Originally Posted by SJS
    Sure it will be the closest for years. Australia are looking a lesser dominant force and England are resurgent. But whether the gap is bridged ...doubtful ..very doubtful.
    well i hope not, i hope the aussies head out to england and whack them in every game!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information