• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

SA getting toughened up

shaka

International Regular
Ray Jennings has decided to toughen up the South African side, with bowling a wide results in running round the field twice, this is a fairly 'light' punishment based on some of the other penalties available. Jennings has also shown interest in reintroducing Daryl Cullinan back into the international frame.

I am sure Warne will be rubbing his hands at that idea.

the story can be found at:
http://www.supercricket.co.za/default.asp?id=128844&des=article&scat=supercricket/sateam

what are your guys' thoughts on this matter of discipline and about Cullinan?

Spetsnatz

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
shaka said:
Ray Jennings has decided to toughen up the South African side, with bowling a wide results in running round the field twice, this is a fairly 'light' punishment based on some of the other penalties available. Jennings has also shown interest in reintroducing Daryl Cullinan back into the international frame.

I am sure Warne will be rubbing his hands at that idea.

the story can be found at:
http://www.supercricket.co.za/default.asp?id=128844&des=article&scat=supercricket/sateam

We're in for interesting times.
Ray Jennings is a colourful character to put it mildly.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
shaka said:
I dont know about disciplne. It works at times :sleep:

But I have a very favourable opinion of Cullinan.

Slow Love™

International Captain
shaka said:
On Cullinan: I think that is a great idea - I have believed for some time that he should be involved in the South African team. Is he actually interested though? I got the sense there was some irreconcilable differences between he and the administration (as well as maybe some of the players?). He's a little mercurial, but he has great ability.

As to Jennings' ideas about discipline, I'm not really into the idea of treating adult players like twelve-year olds. And the threat of with-holding pay - is that even legal? Oh well, they're unlikely to perform any worse than they have been, I guess.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Slow Love™ said:
On Cullinan:

As to Jennings' ideas about discipline, I'm not really into the idea of treating adult players like twelve-year olds. And the threat of with-holding pay - is that even legal? Oh well, they're unlikely to perform any worse than they have been, I guess.
I have just read the article in full.

This Jennings guy should be barred from holding any position that calls for man management !!

This is not discipline...this an old fashioned headmaster laying boys across his knees and ..whack :@

KennyD

International Vice-Captain
i agree, its just going to lead to the players despising him. I mean id be ****ed at having to run, jus coz the umpire gave me a tough call on the leg side wide, or the ball just slipped out, and Im punished for it, it would **** me off

shaka

International Regular
brief information about Cullinan:
began his international career in 1992, when SA returned to the international scene
career average of 44.21
37 years old, retired from internationals in 2001, after fight with selectors
Cullinan criticised Graeme Smith for failure to win series in England last year

All are good stats but his age may play a factor in selecting him.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I could understand making someone run round the pitch twice for no-balls (involving misplaced feet not full tosses over waist height) in a one-day game, because that's just utterly stupid to give away a free ball & run like that, but for wides it's just ridiculous, especially if it was a guy low on confidence after he'd bowled a ton of them - it'd do more harm than good.

Slats4ever

International Vice-Captain
i read in the paper that South Africa had mad an approach to Steve Waugh to coach the side.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I vision disaster for South Africa. Opposite personalities are going to clash.

shaka

International Regular
as it stands, Jennings is caretaker coach, but imo will be permanent coach if he has a successful tour of India.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Scaly piscine said:
I could understand making someone run round the pitch twice for no-balls (involving misplaced feet not full tosses over waist height) in a one-day game, because that's just utterly stupid to give away a free ball & run like that, but for wides it's just ridiculous, especially if it was a guy low on confidence after he'd bowled a ton of them - it'd do more harm than good.
Absolutely spot on !

A no ball (overstepping) is invariably a sign of indiscipline at practice and you may have your own methods of disciplining people (remembering to differentiate between ten year olds and grown ups ), but a wide ball , if persistent, requires the coach to be able to provide corective inputs to the bowlers delivery. What make Mister Jennings feel a round (or two) round the block will improve the same !!

God help South Africa and its cricketers :p :p

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
SJS said:
Absolutely spot on !

A no ball (overstepping) is invariably a sign of indiscipline at practice and you may have your own methods of disciplining people (remembering to differentiate between ten year olds and grown ups ), but a wide ball , if persistent, requires the coach to be able to provide corective inputs to the bowlers delivery. What make Mister Jennings feel a round (or two) round the block will improve the same !!

God help South Africa and its cricketers :p :p
Reminds me a bit about when Illingworth took over the England job in the mid-1990's. He didn't threaten laps to discipline people, but the general tone was that the current generation were a bunch of slackers and he would sort them out etc etc. I don't remember his approach being very successful, although maybe Jennings will do better with it. I am surprised how often the SA captain & coach are willing to criticise the team and, occasionally, individuals in public though. It's never struck me as the best form of man-management, although if they beat us this winter I'll have to reconsider, I suppose.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
It's all about what works for the individual.
To use an Illingworth for-instance: his style worked a treat on Graeme Hick (Hick's only good period in Test-cricket came mostly with Illingworth at the helm) but, famously, made Devon Malcolm into something of a pedestrian.

WRT to wider topic, interesting how well Jennings seems to have started, isn't it? Not a single complaint - yet.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Richard said:
It's all about what works for the individual.
To use an Illingworth for-instance: his style worked a treat on Graeme Hick (Hick's only good period in Test-cricket came mostly with Illingworth at the helm) but, famously, made Devon Malcolm into something of a pedestrian.

WRT to wider topic, interesting how well Jennings seems to have started, isn't it? Not a single complaint - yet.
Early days, I guess. The pitch in the 1st test was so benign they were never going to lose there. We'll see what happens if they lose this one. All that being said, my impression of Jennings is far more paternal than we had been led to expect.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
If they lose this Test (ATM I'd say an India win is the likeliest of the three) I'd say England need beware most.
If they draw this, they'll be in an even state.
Win, and they'll need to beware of complacency against us.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Richard said:
If they lose this Test (ATM I'd say an India win is the likeliest of the three) I'd say England need beware most.
If they draw this, they'll be in an even state.
Win, and they'll need to beware of complacency against us.

Maybe. I suspect there's about as much sense in basing predictions for next month on what's happening in India as there was in Keith Fletcher famously writing off Kumble after watching him in SA 12 years ago. My take on it is that if SA had been completely slaughtered that would have done nothing for their confidence, whereas a win would have the opposite effect. But facing Harmy & Hoggard in SA is going to be so different, it's hard to see the relevance of this series to the next one. I can't see SA being complacent after the way they threw away the 2003 series. I could see us being complacent though - I thought there were signs of that in the summer.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well complacency is good and bad - it's better IMO to be complacent than cowed.
It is amazing how people are prepared to look to far ahead, though - yes, indeed.
You hear MCJ and Ian Smith talking about this Super Series lark - it's 10 months away, and they're talking about the team as if what will happen in the next 10 months is set in stone!
Some of the players they are talking about - Harmison, Sehwag, to the fore (8-)) - have had such short periods of success, and yet they're being talked of ahead of far more proven long-term players (such as Smith and Pollock [thank God no-one mentioned "he's lost pace" here - I might have thrown something at the TV if they had]).
Short-termism in cricket never fails to astonish me.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I think it is because, given the way the Super Series is scheduled, it is better to pick the guys who are in form, as when playing against the best side in the world, what matters most would be a person's confidence and his state of mind.