• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

ICC to rebel players: You lied

Slow Love™

International Captain
Pretty sad developments.

http://aus.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/CRICKET_NEWS/2004/OCT/076097_ZIM_17OCT2004.html

http://aus.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/CRICKET_NEWS/2004/OCT/076184_ZIM_17OCT2004.html

"Zimbabwe's Test status was never under threat," said Ehsan Mani, the president of the ICC. They were suspended from Test cricket earlier this year, ahead of a hiding-to-nothing series against Australia, after a team of rookies had been thrashed in consecutive matches against Sri Lanka.

"Zimbabwe was stopped from playing Test cricket because they lost many of their leading established players," added Malcolm Speed, the ICC chief executive.

------------------------------------------------------

"Lost" is an interesting way of putting it, Mr Speed.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
A very interesting way of putting it.

And why did they "lose" these players?

As a side note, a lot of the French national team's established footballers have been retiring in the past couple of months - does that mean FIFA should temporarily stop them playing?

anzac

International Debutant
I read that their Test status was postponed regarding the potential hiding to nothing from AUS, after a series of defeats v SRL...............

dare I say it but I can't see anything different happening when ENG tour from the SRL tour, regardless of Harmison & Co (although none of them is up for the Test bowling record are they.................)

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Looks like another vomit-inducing whitewash from the ICC scum. Has that lot packed their bags and left London yet? If not, why not?

marc71178 said:
As a side note, a lot of the French national team's established footballers have been retiring in the past couple of months - does that mean FIFA should temporarily stop them playing?

Maybe after Henry (massively overrated European competition/International flop) has finished humiliating himself and his country, about the time France get knocked out of the 2006 World Cup would be a good time (go Ireland, Switzerland and even Israel, first remotely difficult qualifying group France have been in for ages).

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
France always get Israel.

It's one of the most pathetic, spineless and incompetent management-level decisions I have seen since I last hit the CWXI forum.

shaka

International Regular
anzac said:
I read that their Test status was postponed regarding the potential hiding to nothing from AUS, after a series of defeats v SRLQUOTE]

wouldn't that also mean that after RSA's previous two outing to NZ and Sri Lanka, that their test status would be questioned, hehehe

Slow Love™

International Captain
One of the worst snowjobs ever.

On a related subject, what do people make of these strange articles on cricinfo a couple of weeks ago, where it seemed to be alleged that certain players in the South African side were being isolated and treated differently because of their race?

Does anybody have any more details on that? The stories I read were extremely vague.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
This is shameful. Its yet another blot on the much tarnished (deservedly) name of the world cricket establishment.

From Calcutta and Mumbai to London, the cricket administrators stink :sick::sick::sick:

How much do you think is the British Governments role (if any) in this despicable display ??

anzac

International Debutant
shaka said:
anzac said:
I read that their Test status was postponed regarding the potential hiding to nothing from AUS, after a series of defeats v SRLQUOTE]

wouldn't that also mean that after RSA's previous two outing to NZ and Sri Lanka, that their test status would be questioned, hehehe

nice try for a sly dig - but not in the same ball park - didn't RSA actually draw v NZL by winning the 3rd Test?????

a massive zebra

International Captain
SJS said:
This is shameful. Its yet another blot on the much tarnished (deservedly) name of the world cricket establishment.

From Calcutta and Mumbai to London, the cricket administrators stink :sick::sick::sick:

How much do you think is the British Governments role (if any) in this despicable display ??
And now they are planning to gag selectors from making derogatory comments about umpires. So much for freedom of speech. Where does the madness end? :ranting:

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
SJS said:

Doubt there was much UK government involvement in all honesty.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Humour aside, the core evidence behind this ruling seems to be based around the situation where Streak resigned/was sacked.

From what I can tell, Streak threatened to quit over a disagreement over Ebrahim's reclassification as "White". The board then said, "fine, quit" - so he did, and it was viewed in many circles (including that of the rebel players) as a sacking.

That action in itself wasn't racist (whatever the roots were) - so therein lies the issue and the technical basis to the ruling (heavily simplified).

Waughney

International Debutant
Neil Pickup said:
Humour aside, the core evidence behind this ruling seems to be based around the situation where Streak resigned/was sacked.

From what I can tell, Streak threatened to quit over a disagreement over Ebrahim's reclassification as "White". The board then said, "fine, quit" - so he did, and it was viewed in many circles (including that of the rebel players) as a sacking.

That action in itself wasn't racist (whatever the roots were) - so therein lies the issue and the technical basis to the ruling (heavily simplified).
I appreciate that, but jeez you think the ICC could go further and actually reprimand the ZCU. They always 'play it by the book', that book needs to be changed....

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Waughney said:
I appreciate that, but jeez you think the ICC could go further and actually reprimand the ZCU. They always 'play it by the book', that book needs to be changed....
You know what I think about this issue..

Sussexshark

Cricket Spectator
What Neil has said is right. It would seem that the players played the wrong argument; they also had a crap solicitor who seemed to be intent on rubbing everyone up the wrong way. Having said that...

I do not, can not, accept the ICC's judgement on this. To say that there is no racism is a perversion of the truth. There is; there has to be in a country where, under the monster whose name I will not say (but who is a slimeball lower than pondlife), racism is rife. And it's not just the Monster's hatred of all things white, it is his hatred of everything that is not of his tribe. That is why he's spitting blood over the not guilty verdict on Morgan Tsangivrai (sorry if I've misspelt it), a person who is a million times and more greater than the Monster.

It is clear that Ozias Bvute is a placeman, there in the ZCU at the behest of the Monster, to ensure that Zim cricket is run on racist lilnes. Christ, what's going on in that poor, benighted, once-beautiful country makes apartheid look golden - and we all know how evil apartheid was (and we all know that it is only sleeping, if the recent story of SABC's projected programme '100 Great South Africans' is anything to go by - Eugene Terreblanche number 25!).

Remember 'No normal sport in an abnormal society'? Does that not apply any more? Obviously not, and I fear that is just one example of how massively standards of morality have declined.

Speed and the others should be put up against a wall and shooting, for sure as God made little green apples they have made our beloved game a total laughing stock. It is they who have brought the game into disrepute. Zimbabwe should not be in the world of cricket, not just from a moral viewpoint but also from the view that to include them can only be viewed as accepting the racist regime in that country.

Ciao

Peter

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Semantics, technicalities, intellectual dishonesty can not cover up for what this is. It is racism as despicable as all racism is. Trying to be smart with words or arguments , howsoever well put, can not change that.

Similarly, a bad lawyer, or any lawyer whatever, is not what will and should make or break this case for the right thinking. For those who cant think right - any straw that semantics, technicalities and bad lawyers can offer will do .

Shame on the authorities.

I will never blame the 'monster' as Peter puts it, for what can you expect from monsters but those who maquerade as 'decent' , 'right thinking ' are the ones I find abhorrent. Their fine language and technicalese notwithstanding.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
It's spelt Morgan Tsvangirai, as far as I'm aware (the opposition MDC [Movement for Democratic Change] leader, for those who aren't as aware of Zimbabwean internal politics).

Being a child of the 80s, I didn't know who Eugene Terreblanche was, so I found this profile of the leader of the neo-Nazi, white supremacist, paramilitary Afrikaner Resistance Movement.