• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

maggie thatcher

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
decent leg spinner ? or overated paceman / woman ?

but with a batting average of over 56 who cares?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I think Elvis Costello summed up my feelings towards Mrs Thatch far more eloquently than I ever could:

"Well I hope I don't die too soon
I pray the Lord my soul to save
Oh I'll be a good boy, I'm trying so hard to behave
Because there's one thing I know, I'd like to live
long enough to savour
That's when they finally put you in the ground
I'll stand on your grave and tramp the dirt down"

Langeveldt

Soutie
Id love to have her batting down the other end of a net... With me and Harmison at the bowling end, both in ****e moods...

Swervy

International Captain
I heard she wanted to be a fast bowler,as opposed to a spinner, but as she once famously said 'the lady is not for turning'

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Swervy said:
I heard she wanted to be a fast bowler,as opposed to a spinner, but as she once famously said 'the lady is not for turning'
Sounds perfect for an English spinner in the 80's.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
"The kind people have a wonderful dream...."

For those of you without an unhealthy obsession with Morrissey's lyrics the next line is

"...Margaret on the guillotine."

Well, that remains wishful thinking, but she isn't too well. The beginning of the end? Hope spring's eternal, as they say. :D

From the beeb's website:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/4508546.stm

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Matteh said:
Go on own up - who voted for her?
Not me. And since she was kicked out 15 years ago, that would make most of the Brits in CW way too young anyway.

Unless you're talking about Carol?

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I assumed it was Fred who had bumped this thread. Certainly her least desirable attribute was her unwavering support for SA at a time when people were clamouring for change.

Why the west was obsessed with stamping out communism looking back on it is a mystery and was a mystery to me as a 10 year old. If Vietnam wants to become communist let them what business is it of anyone else's unless they were planning to commit human rights violations,

Sorry there was a leap of logic there. Thatcher supported SA as it was a bastion against the spectre of communism in that neck of the woods.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I assumed it was Fred who had bumped this thread. Certainly her least desirable attribute was her unwavering support for SA at a time when people were clamouring for change.

Why the west was obsessed with stamping out communism looking back on it is a mystery and was a mystery to me as a 10 year old. If Vietnam wants to become communist let them what business is it of anyone else's unless they were planning to commit human rights violations,

Sorry there was a leap of logic there. Thatcher supported SA as it was a bastion against the spectre of communism in that neck of the woods.
Tbf you could argue that some of the main tenets of Communism, if pursued to their limits, would actually violate the substantive elements of various Human Rights instruments. E.g. the European Convention on Human Rights places quite a lot of emphasis on the protection of the concept of private property.