Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dean Jones

U19 Vice-Captain

Dean Jones

Im wondering what the opinions here are of good old deano.I think he revolutionized the game of one day cricket with his running between the wickets and attacking fielding,and wearing sunglasses in the field
    Played in probably the toughest era of recent times against all the great bowlers in their primes,but was sadly dropped while still in his prime.

Tests 52 Runs 3631 Avg 46.55 Centuries 11

OD's 164 Runs 6068 HS 145 Avg 44.61 SR 72.56 Centuries 7 50s 46

Top 10 One day player of all time?

Request Your Custom Title Now! Simon's Avatar
    great player no doubt, ive also enjoyed his commentary in the recent past, particulary in the current series against India. On the subject of commentators, id look to strangle Brendon Jullian.
    but back to deano, his record says it all really, a shame he was treated as badly as he was at the end of his career...

U19 Vice-Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by broncoman
    great player no doubt, ive also enjoyed his commentary in the recent past, particulary in the current series against India. On the subject of commentators, id look to strangle Brendon Jullian.
    but back to deano, his record says it all really, a shame he was treated as badly as he was at the end of his career...
    Dean jones commentates as he played cricket.Flashy and take no prisoners.I love his straight forward talking and the fact he will pan a player as quickly he will praise him.I dont understand how many dont like his commentary.

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Really top bloke too.

I always thought of him as the embodiment of the archetypal Aussie bloke's virtues. Gutsy, calls a spade a spade & someone you'd want in the trenches with you.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"The committee discussed the issue of illegal bowling actions, and believed that there are a number of bowlers currently employing suspect actions in international cricket, and that the ICC's reporting and testing procedures are not adequately scrutinising these bowlers."
    - Even the ICC's own official press release thinks things must change

Quote Originally Posted by broncoman
    Well they did drop him for someone called Mark Waugh.
    (If I remember rightly both went on the Sri Lankan tour and at the start of the next domestic season a batsman who didn't tour had to be fitted in. It came down to a choice between Jones and Waugh. Deano was made 12th man for the first test and never played again)

But he was dropped prematurely.
    Only two states to be in - Queensland and drunk.

Quote Originally Posted by mavric41
    Well they did drop him for someone called Mark Waugh.
    (If I remember rightly both went on the Sri Lankan tour and at the start of the next domestic season a batsman who didn't tour had to be fitted in. It came down to a choice between Jones and Waugh. Deano was made 12th man for the first test and never played again)

But he was dropped prematurely.
    I thought he was dropped in favour of Damien Martyn against the Windies in the first test in the 1992/93 summer. He never played another test again, which is a shame.

Still he played one dayers up until the 1994 tour of South Africa, where upon he retired from international cricket after the one dayers there.

SJS
    Virus 2 Champion!
    Superb cricketer and one of the sharpest cricket commentators. Ready wit, disarming honesty and no sign of rancour or hostility are his hallmark. One of my favourite commentators.

International Vice-Captain Dasa's Avatar
    I am one of those who certainly doesn't enjoy his commentary. IMO he sounds like a hyped-up, less knowledgeable version of Bill Lawry!

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Mister Wright's Avatar
    Burger Time Champion!
    Dean Jones seemed to me to be the player that would come in and score a big score when the team were 1/150 or 2/180, but when the team lost early wickets he seemed to go cheaply. However that double century in India was a great innings.
    Cricketweb Colts Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    Hayden > Lehmann
    I'm a member of Club Kerry

I'm Green

The color of immortality, nature and envy - you are truly a unique person. While clearly the color of nature, you also symbolize rebirth, fertility and hope in the world. On the other side of the spectrum, a natural aptitude to money with green coming to signify money and possibly even *********!

well, the man they replaced him with..damien martyn, is the exact same...2/150, and marto would score as well.....2/20, and it would be 3/20 in a few moments

Quote Originally Posted by SquidAU
    I thought he was dropped in favour of Damien Martyn against the Windies in the first test in the 1992/93 summer. He never played another test again, which is a shame.

Still he played one dayers up until the 1994 tour of South Africa, where upon he retired from international cricket after the one dayers there.
    You are quite correct. If I remember rightly though it was a choice between Waugh and Jones for the 12th man duties because Waugh had just come off two pairs in Sri Lanka and Jones had done all right.

Still accuracy of memory fades with time, age and alcohol.

Hexxagon Champion!
    Dean Jones.... ODI top 10 stuff . A person who knows to criticise players when needed, but never does it in an offensive way .Always livens things up with his wit .One of my favourite commentators now.
    Millhouse: you know when your dog ate my goldfish bart and you told me i never had a goldfish, then why did i have the bowl bart! why did i have the bowl!!!!
    Karthik_moo@hotmail.com
    Member of the MSC and the AAAS
    Wanna Search ?
    Waughney : We are well taken care of here at the Rehab centre.

International Coach tooextracool's Avatar
    Dick Quicks Island Adventure Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrow
    Im wondering what the opinions here are of good old deano.I think he revolutionized the game of one day cricket with his running between the wickets and attacking fielding,and wearing sunglasses in the field
    Played in probably the toughest era of recent times against all the great bowlers in their primes,but was sadly dropped while still in his prime.

Tests 52 Runs 3631 Avg 46.55 Centuries 11

OD's 164 Runs 6068 HS 145 Avg 44.61 SR 72.56 Centuries 7 50s 46

Top 10 One day player of all time?
    id say top 5 with bevan,tendulkar and richards
    Tendulkar = the most overated player EVER!!
    Beckham = the most overated footballer EVER!!
    Vassell = the biggest disgrace since rikki clarke!!

State Vice-Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by Deja moo
    Dean Jones.... .Always livens things up with his wit .One of my favourite commentators now.
    I quite enjoy his commentary, but I wouldn't for one moment describe him as witty. His humour's very heavy-handed, in much the same way as Ian Botham's. Athers is very dry, if not exactly witty. Amongst the team for the current series, Sanjay Manjrekar's an enjoyable listen too.

Quote Originally Posted by tooextracool
    id say top 5 with bevan,tendulkar and richards
    Bowlers?
    I think, therefore I am.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information