• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dean Jones

Arrow

U19 Vice-Captain
Im wondering what the opinions here are of good old deano.I think he revolutionized the game of one day cricket with his running between the wickets and attacking fielding,and wearing sunglasses in the field:)
Played in probably the toughest era of recent times against all the great bowlers in their primes,but was sadly dropped while still in his prime.

Tests 52 Runs 3631 Avg 46.55 Centuries 11

OD's 164 Runs 6068 HS 145 Avg 44.61 SR 72.56 Centuries 7 50s 46

Top 10 One day player of all time?

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
great player no doubt, ive also enjoyed his commentary in the recent past, particulary in the current series against India. On the subject of commentators, id look to strangle Brendon Jullian.
but back to deano, his record says it all really, a shame he was treated as badly as he was at the end of his career...

Arrow

U19 Vice-Captain
broncoman said:
great player no doubt, ive also enjoyed his commentary in the recent past, particulary in the current series against India. On the subject of commentators, id look to strangle Brendon Jullian.
but back to deano, his record says it all really, a shame he was treated as badly as he was at the end of his career...
Dean jones commentates as he played cricket.Flashy and take no prisoners.I love his straight forward talking and the fact he will pan a player as quickly he will praise him.I dont understand how many dont like his commentary.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Really top bloke too.

I always thought of him as the embodiment of the archetypal Aussie bloke's virtues. Gutsy, calls a spade a spade & someone you'd want in the trenches with you.

mavric41

State Vice-Captain
broncoman said:
Well they did drop him for someone called Mark Waugh.
(If I remember rightly both went on the Sri Lankan tour and at the start of the next domestic season a batsman who didn't tour had to be fitted in. It came down to a choice between Jones and Waugh. Deano was made 12th man for the first test and never played again)

But he was dropped prematurely.

SquidAU

First Class Debutant
mavric41 said:
Well they did drop him for someone called Mark Waugh.
(If I remember rightly both went on the Sri Lankan tour and at the start of the next domestic season a batsman who didn't tour had to be fitted in. It came down to a choice between Jones and Waugh. Deano was made 12th man for the first test and never played again)

But he was dropped prematurely.
I thought he was dropped in favour of Damien Martyn against the Windies in the first test in the 1992/93 summer. He never played another test again, which is a shame.

Still he played one dayers up until the 1994 tour of South Africa, where upon he retired from international cricket after the one dayers there.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Superb cricketer and one of the sharpest cricket commentators. Ready wit, disarming honesty and no sign of rancour or hostility are his hallmark. One of my favourite commentators.

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
I am one of those who certainly doesn't enjoy his commentary. IMO he sounds like a hyped-up, less knowledgeable version of Bill Lawry!

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Dean Jones seemed to me to be the player that would come in and score a big score when the team were 1/150 or 2/180, but when the team lost early wickets he seemed to go cheaply. However that double century in India was a great innings.

deeps

International 12th Man
well, the man they replaced him with..damien martyn, is the exact same...2/150, and marto would score as well.....2/20, and it would be 3/20 in a few moments

mavric41

State Vice-Captain
SquidAU said:
I thought he was dropped in favour of Damien Martyn against the Windies in the first test in the 1992/93 summer. He never played another test again, which is a shame.

Still he played one dayers up until the 1994 tour of South Africa, where upon he retired from international cricket after the one dayers there.
You are quite correct. If I remember rightly though it was a choice between Waugh and Jones for the 12th man duties because Waugh had just come off two pairs in Sri Lanka and Jones had done all right.

Still accuracy of memory fades with time, age and alcohol.

Deja moo

International Captain
Dean Jones.... ODI top 10 stuff . A person who knows to criticise players when needed, but never does it in an offensive way .Always livens things up with his wit .One of my favourite commentators now.

tooextracool

International Coach
Arrow said:
Im wondering what the opinions here are of good old deano.I think he revolutionized the game of one day cricket with his running between the wickets and attacking fielding,and wearing sunglasses in the field:)
Played in probably the toughest era of recent times against all the great bowlers in their primes,but was sadly dropped while still in his prime.

Tests 52 Runs 3631 Avg 46.55 Centuries 11

OD's 164 Runs 6068 HS 145 Avg 44.61 SR 72.56 Centuries 7 50s 46

Top 10 One day player of all time?
id say top 5 with bevan,tendulkar and richards

garage flower

State Vice-Captain
Deja moo said:
Dean Jones.... .Always livens things up with his wit .One of my favourite commentators now.
I quite enjoy his commentary, but I wouldn't for one moment describe him as witty. His humour's very heavy-handed, in much the same way as Ian Botham's. Athers is very dry, if not exactly witty. Amongst the team for the current series, Sanjay Manjrekar's an enjoyable listen too.