• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is Pietersen a team player?

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I read at Cricinfo that Kevin Pietersen has left Nott's mainly because he fell out with team-mates. It raises the question whether he'll succeed with England if he's got a chip on his shoulder..on the other hand, he may not have been the problem at Notts.

Does anyone know much about him as a person?

shaka

International Regular
I always thought his plan was to play for England as opposed to staying in South Africa and aiming for a proteas jumper. Which team does he think he will get along with?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I don't think the whole story about Nottinghamshire is known.

Things were really bad last summer - but as to who's fault that was, I'm not sure.

Andre

International Regular
marc71178 said:
I don't think the whole story about Nottinghamshire is known.

Things were really bad last summer - but as to who's fault that was, I'm not sure.
Well, Gallian throwing Pietersen's kit off the Trent Bridge balcony at the end of 2003 wasn't the greatest....

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
The only player keen to be leaving Notts seems to be Pietersen, which makes me suspicious that he's more the problem than anyone else.

twctopcat

International Regular
Pietersen is a winner, which we need some more of in the England team, particularly the ODI team. There's a bit of australian arrogance about him which is good.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Think he has every chance. He's scored runs pretty consistently during his qualification period & was far and away our best batter on the Academy tour last winter. Pity his bowling seems to have gone backwards.

Looking at it from the outside, I think his colonial self-belief may've rubbed a few of the Notts boys up the wrong way. But it's nice to have a talented player who backs himself in your team. This is majorly tempting fate, but I can't see him being prone to Hick-esque self-doubt.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Bearing in mind the England setup have historicly been attrocious when confronted with people who have a bit of a different personality....

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Historically, not any longer (I hope).

The whole Nottinghamshire situation hasn't been good with him for some time, and I'm not surprised he doesn't want to stay. There haven't been any problems with him and the England A/Academy teams, so I think it may be just teacup storms.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Andre said:
Well, Gallian throwing Pietersen's kit off the Trent Bridge balcony at the end of 2003 wasn't the greatest....
Yes, but how do we know what provocation there was?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Langeveldt said:
Bearing in mind the England setup have historicly been attrocious when confronted with people who have a bit of a different personality....
You mean the way Caddick, Harmison and Flintoff have failed under Fletcher?

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
yeah i'd agree with Caddick..he is fairly arrogant. I think the cases of Harmison & Flintoff were more to do with self-belief though & a few technical adjustments.

Still, Fletcher is building himself a good track record of developing raw talent into world class talent.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Tim said:
Still, Fletcher is building himself a good track record of developing raw talent into world class talent.
That's why he earns more than any other coach in world cricket.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
But I also think that has something to do with the budget the ECB has. It wouldn't surprise me that the smaller nations like the West Indies, Sri Lanka, NZ etc pay their coaches significantly less.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
marc71178 said:
You mean the way Caddick, Harmison and Flintoff have failed under Fletcher?
I wasn't aware of Caddick being a success at any particular stage of his career (one-offs and dead rubber tests don't count) so he's not a good example for sarcasm. As long as Pietersen has a better strength of character and is less of a complete prat than Caddick he'll do well because of the talent he has.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Tim said:
yeah i'd agree with Caddick..he is fairly arrogant. I think the cases of Harmison & Flintoff were more to do with self-belief though & a few technical adjustments.
But both have what can't be described as normal personalities (which was my point)

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Scaly piscine said:
I wasn't aware of Caddick being a success at any particular stage of his career (one-offs and dead rubber tests don't count) so he's not a good example for sarcasm.
Considering his age when Fletcher took over, a return of 49 wickets at under 27 in his first year isn't too bad.

The ironic thing about Caddick is that his last Test was almost certainly his best ever performance.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
Considering his age when Fletcher took over, a return of 49 wickets at under 27 in his first year isn't too bad.

The ironic thing about Caddick is that his last Test was almost certainly his best ever performance.
They may be his best figures, but cleaning up on a helpful wicket in a dead rubber is most certainly not his finest performance. 2nd innings vs WI at Lord's in 2000, or 3rd test in SA when he took 7 in the first innings were far more important and therefore far better.