• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

20/20 cricket

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yawn @ rip-off of ODI (and ODI is a rip-off of 3-day cricket, which is a rip-off of 4-day cricket, which is a rip-off of 5-day cricket, which is a rip-off of timeless Tests *ignores what really came first but you get the idea*). Typical bryce irrelevant waffle.

bryce

International Regular
so 20/20 is not exactly the same as ODI cricket except they play 30 less overs per innings and they have that free hit rule which was stolen off Max cricket ?

Scaly piscine

bryce said:
so 20/20 is not exactly the same as ODI cricket except they play 30 less overs per innings and they have that free hit rule which was stolen off Max cricket ?
What difference does it make?

bryce

International Regular
Scaly piscine said:
What difference does it make?
if it's so great then why are we playing 50 over ODI's when we can play 20 over ODI's ?

Samuel_Vimes said:
Free hit rule was in the County Championship for a while as well - to cut down no-balls. Dunno for how long, though.
yes your right - i remember it on an ICC version i think.....

Scaly piscine

bryce said:
if it's so great then why are we playing 50 over ODI's when we can play 20 over ODI's ?
Because they're different games just as ODIs are different to Test. There are a few more scheduled Twenty20 internationals in the coming months and I expect more will find their way into schedules after Australia are reported to creating a Twenty20 competition domestically - so that would make England, SA, Bangladesh (if I remember right) and Australia that have 20 over domestic cricket - maybe some other countries as well.

bryce

International Regular
yeah i'm not against it in domestic cricket but it would kill international cricket if it was played regularly

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
^^ yes how so? Wouldn't it give it a boost and maybe other countries will pick up the game, and with the record attendences in australia so far how can you deny it on an international level.

As far as domestic is concernced its great, if we could get 20k going to every domestic match in aus we would be in a great position financialy as well

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
bryce said:
yeah i'm not against it in domestic cricket but it would kill international cricket if it was played regularly
It wouldn't kill international cricket, but it might well kill the 50 over ODI, which I don't think would be a particularly good thing. If 20/20 cricket really takes off as part of the international calender, there will have to be a reduction in 50 over ODIs to accomodate it, and eventually that will probably result in it being killed off.

Craig

World Traveller
bryce said:
i think 20/20 is just a rip off of ODI cricket - a concept that any man and his dog could think up, yet it is popular ?
these types of cricket should not be regulars on international calenders EVER - but merely used as say no more than one or two of them for warm-up matches against touring teams, otherwise they should be kept to domestic competitions only, if 20/20 cricket becomes a regular feature on international calendar's then cricket will be the loser IMO
Despite the fact that they bring in sell-out crowds.

What state/provincial/county chairperson would give to see people flocking to domestic matches even if they are coming to a shortened version of the game. If 20,000 people paid $10 to get in, you can do the math on how much of they make.

If any man and his dog could have thought about it, then why did it never come in earlier? Have you even seen a Twenty20 match?

bryce

International Regular
FaaipDeOiad said:
It wouldn't kill international cricket, but it might well kill the 50 over ODI, which I don't think would be a particularly good thing. If 20/20 cricket really takes off as part of the international calender, there will have to be a reduction in 50 over ODIs to accomodate it, and eventually that will probably result in it being killed off.
yeah that's more or less what i mean.

Craig said:
Despite the fact that they bring in sell-out crowds.

What state/provincial/county chairperson would give to see people flocking to domestic matches even if they are coming to a shortened version of the game. If 20,000 people paid $10 to get in, you can do the math on how much of they make.
i hold cricketing values higher than cricketing revenue

Craig said:
If any man and his dog could have thought about it, then why did it never come in earlier?
come on cut 30 overs of each teams innings isn't really that hard to think of is it, probaly because it never was seriously thought about and didn't have enough support until the english got it going

Craig said:
Have you even seen a Twenty20 match?
in all honesty i have only seen highlights of it since no matches have been shown on NZ tv - i am merely commenting on the concept and not arguing with the entertainment value, i just like the way cricket is now and don't want it to change

Linda

International Vice-Captain
Hey bryce at first I too thought Twenty 20 was a bit of a laugh really, and that everyone would eventually get sick of it. I went to the WA v Vic 20/20 however, and thoroughly enjoyed it. The running between wickets was the best part. Especially towards to end of the innings when the non-striker is already up the other end, and the batsman tips it and just fangs it down the other end. Brilliant!

And its all very well to say that cricketing technique and whatnot is devalued for the sake of revenue, but I bet thats what people said about 50 over cricket, and look where that is now. Whats more, revenue is what keeps the game going, so it has a fairly important part to play

bryce

International Regular
Linda said:
Hey bryce at first I too thought Twenty 20 was a bit of a laugh really, and that everyone would eventually get sick of it. I went to the WA v Vic 20/20 however, and thoroughly enjoyed it. The running between wickets was the best part. Especially towards to end of the innings when the non-striker is already up the other end, and the batsman tips it and just fangs it down the other end. Brilliant!

And its all very well to say that cricketing technique and whatnot is devalued for the sake of revenue, but I bet thats what people said about 50 over cricket, and look where that is now. Whats more, revenue is what keeps the game going, so it has a fairly important part to play
yeah no doubt i would find it entertaining, i used to love watching cricket max on TV when they used to play it pre-season and i'm sure 20/20 would be a good spectacle aswell

bryce

International Regular
marc71178 said:
But unfortunately, the game needs the latter before it can uphold the former.
that's dead right and it may be the reason 20/20 does go global and international series start being played on most if not all tours

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I can't see Twenty20 replacing 50 overs Internationally - maybe we'll see 1 a tour on the long tours.

Domestically it can add a lot of benefit in terms of crowd interest, and therefore the financial benefits that keep the game at grass-roots alive!

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
I can see a Twenty20 international tournament happening though, maybe the CT can go to every 4 years and the Twenty20 can be evry 4 years aswell.

Dydl

International Debutant
My mum phoned me and said that she didn't like Twenty20 cricket because it was too much of a sort of ''slogathon'' and didn't have many strokes from the book like the defense shots and cover drives.