Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: 20/20 cricket

International Captain LongHopCassidy's Avatar
    ODI financially saved the game.

20/20 will do the same, but cricket won't be in dire financial straits this time.

In 20 years there will be 5 over games, which I predict the Americans will dominate.

International Vice-Captain Linda's Avatar
    Its funny, but the one thing I'm not excited about when it comes to Twenty20 cricket is that it doesnt go for long enough..

"I know I underperformed but after the past 18 months I thought I might have received more than four Test matches' grace."
    - DR Martyn.

"Is there any way to make it longer?"
    Peter English on Twenty20

Official Face of the v. hip 'Twenty20 Is Boring Society'

Global Moderator nightprowler10's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Joao_Quinto
    I really dont want to see 20/20 replace ODI or Tests and as long as that doesn't happen I would be a fan of 20/20.
    Its like all the bests parts of a normal OD but with some of the less exhilirating parts extracted.
    With that said, Im sure most if not all the members of the forum appreciate every aspect of both OD and Test/FC cricket, whether exciting or not.

Im a traditionalist at heart.
    It would be a sad day for cricket if it replaces ODIs, which it won't, considering how many fans ODIs have, and also considering how many greats (Inzy, Lara, etc) wouldn't be as productive.

But I'm all for it if it is infact a different category. Oh goody, more stats to remember!!!

Global Moderator nightprowler10's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Linda
    Its funny, but the one thing I'm not excited about when it comes to Twenty20 cricket is that it doesnt go for long enough..
    Exactly!!!

A lot of American sports fans who have played cricket with me have said that its nice to take your time and actually enjoy the game you are playing. Gives everyone a chance to show their full potential. Although, twenty20 will do wonders in US/Canada in the long run, spectator-wise.

Quote Originally Posted by nightprowler10
    It would be a sad day for cricket if it replaces ODIs, which it won't, considering how many fans ODIs have, and also considering how many greats (Inzy, Lara, etc) wouldn't be as productive.

But I'm all for it if it is infact a different category. Oh goody, more stats to remember!!!
    As I keep saying it's the players who can play all of the shots that will do well and we know Lara can score faster than a run a ball easily anyway. Personally I'd rather see a 40-50 ball century than a 120 ball century from Lara or Inzy but maybe that's just me. As for it making cricket more popular in USA/Canada I'm too bothered about those countries individually, it's the whole second tier nations including USA/Canada and your Namibias, Kenyas, Netherlands' etc. that should become more involved by 20 over cricket just as without 50 over cricket they wouldn't have ever played the Test nations in World Cups and so forth.

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    A 120 ball ton from Lara would be just about my ideal scenario.
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

13 Jan, 08:00 GMT Australia A v Pakistan Twenty20 International Adelaide (from cricinfo)

I take it this is the first (with male players) international Twenty20 game. With it being Australia A it might actually help to make the game more competitive (mostly because Pakistan won't go onto the pitch already thinking they're beaten as they usually do against Oz). I imagine Australia A will be loaded with some of the fringe players that have been playing in County cricket and therefore have experience of Twenty20.

btw if one of the mods wants to change the name of this thread from 20/20 cricket to Twenty20 cricket go ahead... I didn't expect 'Twenty20' to be used worldwide for internationals as well - just thought it'd be an English thing.

I must admit I'm eagerly awaiting tonight's Twenty20 match between Australia A and Pakistan. I'll make my judgment on the game after actually seeing it.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Hall of Fame Member chaminda_00's Avatar
    I can't wait for 20Twenty cricket to take off, it would be great for the minnows. If it wasn't for the introduction of 1Day Cricket in the 70s i doubt Sri Lanka would be where they are know. Cus SL got the chance to play the other test sides in 1day cricket during the period when they were getting used to the game, SL were competetive and won a few games. Same would apply for the current minnows, if these teams were given the oppurtunity to play the test nations in 20Twenty during the first decade when their still getting used to the game, they would become allot more competitive like Sri Lanka did. 20Twenty is also the only way Cricket could take part in the CG again or even the Olympics.

I can't wait for tonight, first time i get to see 20Twenty live
    The man, the mountain, the Mathews. The greatest all rounder since Keith Miller. (Y)

Jaffna Jets CC (Battrick & FTP)

RIP WCC and CW Cricket

Member of the MSC, JMAS and CVAAS

Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    A bit alarmed at some of the antics going on in the early stages of this game. I find it hard to consider any sort of match in which a player will back away to BEHIND the stumps in an attempt to slog Shoaib a serious cricketing contest.

Hopefully it will improve.

International Captain thierry henry's Avatar
    I think it's ridiculous that 20/20 is suddenly so popular when it is such an obvious and unimaginative rip-off of CricketMax. I suspect the only reason this version is getting so much credibility is because it didn't originate in little ole New Zealand. On the other hand, CricketMax was extremely popular in NZ before it slowly disappeared, so maybe the same will happen to 20/20.

Quote Originally Posted by thierry henry
    I think it's ridiculous that 20/20 is suddenly so popular when it is such an obvious and unimaginative rip-off of CricketMax. I suspect the only reason this version is getting so much credibility is because it didn't originate in little ole New Zealand. On the other hand, CricketMax was extremely popular in NZ before it slowly disappeared, so maybe the same will happen to 20/20.
    The players hated it.

Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread Information