• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

20/20 cricket

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
ODI financially saved the game.

20/20 will do the same, but cricket won't be in dire financial straits this time.

In 20 years there will be 5 over games, which I predict the Americans will dominate.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
There already are 5 over games (8 ball overs for some reason), the Hong Kong sixes which England have won the last 2 times (at least).

Linda

International Vice-Captain
Its funny, but the one thing I'm not excited about when it comes to Twenty20 cricket is that it doesnt go for long enough..

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Joao_Quinto said:
I really dont want to see 20/20 replace ODI or Tests and as long as that doesn't happen I would be a fan of 20/20.
Its like all the bests parts of a normal OD but with some of the less exhilirating parts extracted.
With that said, Im sure most if not all the members of the forum appreciate every aspect of both OD and Test/FC cricket, whether exciting or not.

Im a traditionalist at heart. :sleep:
It would be a sad day for cricket if it replaces ODIs, which it won't, considering how many fans ODIs have, and also considering how many greats (Inzy, Lara, etc) wouldn't be as productive.

But I'm all for it if it is infact a different category. Oh goody, more stats to remember!!! :D

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Linda said:
Its funny, but the one thing I'm not excited about when it comes to Twenty20 cricket is that it doesnt go for long enough..
Exactly!!!

A lot of American sports fans who have played cricket with me have said that its nice to take your time and actually enjoy the game you are playing. Gives everyone a chance to show their full potential. Although, twenty20 will do wonders in US/Canada in the long run, spectator-wise.

Scaly piscine

nightprowler10 said:
It would be a sad day for cricket if it replaces ODIs, which it won't, considering how many fans ODIs have, and also considering how many greats (Inzy, Lara, etc) wouldn't be as productive.

But I'm all for it if it is infact a different category. Oh goody, more stats to remember!!! :D
As I keep saying it's the players who can play all of the shots that will do well and we know Lara can score faster than a run a ball easily anyway. Personally I'd rather see a 40-50 ball century than a 120 ball century from Lara or Inzy but maybe that's just me. As for it making cricket more popular in USA/Canada I'm too bothered about those countries individually, it's the whole second tier nations including USA/Canada and your Namibias, Kenyas, Netherlands' etc. that should become more involved by 20 over cricket just as without 50 over cricket they wouldn't have ever played the Test nations in World Cups and so forth.

Scaly piscine

13 Jan, 08:00 GMT Australia A v Pakistan Twenty20 International Adelaide (from cricinfo)

I take it this is the first (with male players) international Twenty20 game. With it being Australia A it might actually help to make the game more competitive (mostly because Pakistan won't go onto the pitch already thinking they're beaten as they usually do against Oz). I imagine Australia A will be loaded with some of the fringe players that have been playing in County cricket and therefore have experience of Twenty20.

Scaly piscine

btw if one of the mods wants to change the name of this thread from 20/20 cricket to Twenty20 cricket go ahead... I didn't expect 'Twenty20' to be used worldwide for internationals as well - just thought it'd be an English thing.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I must admit I'm eagerly awaiting tonight's Twenty20 match between Australia A and Pakistan. I'll make my judgment on the game after actually seeing it.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
I can't wait for 20Twenty cricket to take off, it would be great for the minnows. If it wasn't for the introduction of 1Day Cricket in the 70s i doubt Sri Lanka would be where they are know. Cus SL got the chance to play the other test sides in 1day cricket during the period when they were getting used to the game, SL were competetive and won a few games. Same would apply for the current minnows, if these teams were given the oppurtunity to play the test nations in 20Twenty during the first decade when their still getting used to the game, they would become allot more competitive like Sri Lanka did. 20Twenty is also the only way Cricket could take part in the CG again or even the Olympics.

I can't wait for tonight, first time i get to see 20Twenty live

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
A bit alarmed at some of the antics going on in the early stages of this game. I find it hard to consider any sort of match in which a player will back away to BEHIND the stumps in an attempt to slog Shoaib a serious cricketing contest.

Hopefully it will improve.

thierry henry

International Coach
I think it's ridiculous that 20/20 is suddenly so popular when it is such an obvious and unimaginative rip-off of CricketMax. I suspect the only reason this version is getting so much credibility is because it didn't originate in little ole New Zealand. On the other hand, CricketMax was extremely popular in NZ before it slowly disappeared, so maybe the same will happen to 20/20.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
thierry henry said:
I think it's ridiculous that 20/20 is suddenly so popular when it is such an obvious and unimaginative rip-off of CricketMax. I suspect the only reason this version is getting so much credibility is because it didn't originate in little ole New Zealand. On the other hand, CricketMax was extremely popular in NZ before it slowly disappeared, so maybe the same will happen to 20/20.
The players hated it.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Wow! Big crowd for only a australia a match. i dont have any problems with a bit of slogging, its good to watch and takes a bit of skill as well!

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
thierry henry said:
But it got good crowds by NZ domestic cricket standards.....

Anyway, if they hated Max why on earth would they not hate 20/20?
I don't know - maybe they will? :D

12th Man

U19 12th Man
Cricket Max

I heard about Cricket Max a few years ago. Weren't they gonna have a world championship but it got cancelled? Is it still going and what are the rules?