• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

20/20 cricket

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Hogg did score a very rapid 50, but the rest of the time was a complete reverse of his CC form.

Mind you, he made up for it with the ball:

13 wickets @ 10.92 with an economy of 6.50...

Linda

International Vice-Captain
My opinion would be no, actually. I cant beleive that those grounds in India at the moment arnt bursting at the seams. This current series has been built up so much, and even though theyre not doing spectaculary, the support for Test cricket seems to be dwindling. They should focus on that, I reckon.

Having said that, I dont live in India and I dont know much about sponsering.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Linda said:
My opinion would be no, actually. I cant beleive that those grounds in India at the moment arnt bursting at the seams. This current series has been built up so much, and even though theyre not doing spectaculary, the support for Test cricket seems to be dwindling. They should focus on that, I reckon.

Having said that, I dont live in India and I dont know much about sponsering.
The game will lose a lot of fans at the end of this series, though 20-20 cannot make up for that. But sponsorship and ticket sales are no issue.

But the way the game is played needs to change. All Indian batsmen are conservative. They're not too keen on hitting the big shots, and would rather play out a few dot balls. Not to mention the batting of the bowlers is nothing to write home about. This format would make good hard-hitting basmen and good hitters from the bowlers. Not to mention, on special high-bounce surfaces, with tennis balls, tearaway fast bowlers would benefit.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Hardly any of the Test side have played any significant amount of Twenty20 cricket.

England's success is built on stability.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Average fast bowling gets caned all around the park in 20 over cricket, bad fast bowling gets annihilated (10+ an over easily). Spin bowling has been very effective so far, but that could be more to do with the English county players than the bowling itself. I do think it'll in the very least improving death bowling/batting in ODIs, but as England players haven't played much 20 over cricket it's difficult to say. South Africa's ODI team have played more 20 over cricket domestically, but they're not a very good advert for it at the moment.

One last thing...

Name Mat O M R W Ave Best 4w 5w SR Econ Team
A McGrath 4 7.5 0 98 1 98.00 1-46 - - 47.0 12.51 YORKS

twctopcat

International Regular
Anyone with a test batting average of 40 and a bowling average of 14 cannot be scoffed at. But Mcgrath can, because he's ****e.

Scaly piscine

Turns out Harvey did score the first century, he's scored 2 centuries in Twenty20. Hodge was leading run scorer in 2003 and second highest run scorer in 2004 - all of the Aussies have done well in it unfortunately.

The format for the English Twenty20 competition next year is supposed to be the same except for each county playing 8 games (4 home and 4 away), this kinda confuses me tho because there are 6 teams in the groups, seems a bit strange to play 3 teams home and away and two others just the once *if* that is what is happening...

Would be nice to see Durham tuck into McGrath twice tho

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
It does sound strange, almost like the 22 game Championship of the late 80s!

Play 10 teams once, and 6 twice in a mixture of 3 and 4 day games.

Kiwi

State Vice-Captain
Scaly piscine said:
Err no it's a shame because they struggle to get the ball off the square.
As much as I want to comment on this.. I have managed to keep my mouth shut. Well.........no I won't start

Scaly piscine

Tamara said:
As much as I want to comment on this.. I have managed to keep my mouth shut. Well.........no I won't start
Awww what a tease.

Would it help if I said the women cricketers did well to keep up with the rule allowing a small amount of time for the next batswoman to get to the middle after a wicket, after all it usually takes women hours to get ready - those helmets/caps must really mess their hair up too.

Kiwi

State Vice-Captain
Scaly piscine said:
Awww what a tease.

Would it help if I said the women cricketers did well to keep up with the rule allowing a small amount of time for the next batswoman to get to the middle after a wicket, after all it usually takes women hours to get ready - those helmets/caps must really mess their hair up too.

No that wouldn't help. Not all woman are like that. Actually not even half are. And those girls wouldn't play a gam like cricket beause they would break there fingernails

Scaly piscine

The Baconator said:
it should just be kept simple

why make it complicated
Indeed, I think the ECB were going for a Blair-style middle way option instead of just keeping it the same or playing everyone home and away in the group stage.