• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

20/20 cricket

chris.hinton

International Captain
Twenty20 cup is brilliant

Back in 2002 i attended a Cricket Forum and there where loads of Coaches there and Mark Nicolas asked who is in favour of the twenty20 cup... i was the ONLY one who put my hand up and Nicolas and Small where the only ones from the panel to be in Favour

I felt like an idiot at the time but thankfully i have been proved right

Matt79

Global Moderator
I think 20/20 should be limited to domestic cricket - let them have some badly needed attention and revenue.

Its all too silly and hit'n'giggle for me, and I don't mind ODIs. I agree with Ponting that 20/20 would get quite boring after the novelty wears off - you might as well televise cricket being played on the Xbox.

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
chris.hinton said:

Back in 2002 i attended a Cricket Forum and there where loads of Coaches there and Mark Nicolas asked who is in favour of the twenty20 cup... i was the ONLY one who put my hand up and Nicolas and Small where the only ones from the panel to be in Favour

So next time England collapse in a flurry of disgraceful shots, you're the man to blame!

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
chris.hinton said:

You truly have an eye to the future, Chris. Virgins around the world are sacrificing themselves for you.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Matt79 said:
I think 20/20 should be limited to domestic cricket - let them have some badly needed attention and revenue.

Its all too silly and hit'n'giggle for me, and I don't mind ODIs. I agree with Ponting that 20/20 would get quite boring after the novelty wears off - you might as well televise cricket being played on the Xbox.
Yawn, this would be Ricky "We'll have a bowl" Ponting, a man renown for his stunning analytic powers and intellect that he was once nearly compared favourably with George W Bush. The novelty argument is such a load of rubbish, the crowds keep going up and they'll go up further especially when teams (like Australia for instance) get fed up of losing in front of full houses and start to take it more seriously. The same will happen with a World Cup event, you can guarantee by the second or third one every country will be taking it very seriously.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Just because the masses like it doesn't make it good or worthwhile. Can I point at Jessica Simpson continuing celebrity and just rest my case?

20/20 is to cricket was the 'crazy frog' is to good music.

Jeez I'm getting old and grumpy.

Scaly piscine

Matt79 said:
Just because the masses like it doesn't make it good or worthwhile. Can I point at Jessica Simpson continuing celebrity and just rest my case?

20/20 is to cricket was the 'crazy frog' is to good music.

Jeez I'm getting old and grumpy.
Just because it's popular doesn't make it bad or pointless either.

open365

International Vice-Captain
Voltman said:
You truly have an eye to the future, Chris. Virgins around the world are sacrificing themselves for you.
Voltman, who's that in your avatar? I keep staring at it every time i read a post.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
I reckon keep it for domestic and the first game of a new series. Keep it interesting and sparce

Langeveldt

Soutie
Scaly piscine said:
In SA's Twenty20 domestic competition AB De Villiers hit 91* off 52 balls... cue Langeveldt's pagely grumble about Twenty20 championing mediocre players.
The same de Villiers who averages 21 in ODI's? Champion :laugh: Good player but you could have come up with something better to prove me wrong..

Scaly piscine

Langeveldt said:
The same de Villiers who averages 21 in ODI's? Champion :laugh: Good player but you could have come up with something better to prove me wrong..
Was he batting against an ODI standard attack?

Langeveldt

Soutie
Scaly piscine said:
Was he batting against an ODI standard attack?
can't be bothered to do the research... Somerset have been bundled out for 127 which doesnt re-affirm my faith in Twenty20 champions being any good at playing cricket..

Langeveldt

Soutie
Scaly piscine said:
Somerset's awful bowling got repeatedly smashed to bits tho in Twenty20.
Caddick got the most tap out of them all, ironically a former England bowler to the tune of 234 test wickets...

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Langeveldt said:
Caddick got the most tap out of them all, ironically a former England bowler to the tune of 234 test wickets...
and a reputation of not being able to change and vary his length and at the end of his career. Whats your point?

Langeveldt

Soutie
Goughy said:
and a reputation of not being able to change and vary his length and at the end of his career. Whats your point?
Not only does it champion mediocre players but it seems to knock back the good ones.. I guess he has trouble bowling a 42mph off cutting yorker..