• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Unaccountable umpires?

Why Umpires are making terrible mistakes these days?

• Their Old Age

Votes: 6 75.0%
  • Impact of Technology

Votes: 2 25.0%

• Total voters

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Swervy said:
ask the spectators whether they want to see 5 overs less in the day because of replays
Read the papers and watch the Tv coverage of the issue and you will get the answer to that.

The spectators want to use technology is in no doubt whatsoever.

Its the authorities, 'traditionalists, a few critics who are holding on but the opinion is changing fast...very fast.

Swervy

International Captain
SJS said:
Read the papers and watch the Tv coverage of the issue and you will get the answer to that.

The spectators want to use technology is in no doubt whatsoever.

Its the authorities, 'traditionalists, a few critics who are holding on but the opinion is changing fast...very fast.
well there isnt that much of a public outcry in England about it...I think people want value for there money (seeing as it is £40 odd for a ticket to a test or whatever it is)...I wouldnt want to be forking out that much money to have even less play...

telsor

U19 12th Man
5 overs a day..25 overs per test..I think it'll be more, but for the sake of the argument, I'll go with that.

I'm not sure how many matches get resolved in the last session, but you're consigning all of them to draws.

I'd rather have the results ( not to mention the extra cricket in a days play ).

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
telsor said:
So the idea is that every appeal, it gets referred to the 3rd umpire to check...

Well, runout decisions now take about a minute each, LBW or fine edges would be harder, so lets assume they take 90 seconds each..

2 hour session = 120 mins or 7200 second 7200/90 = 80

So..80 balls per session...not even 13 overs. what riviting cricket that will be. ( Sure, teams don't appeal every ball, but just think the last day of a test, with one side desperate to either bowl the other side out or save the game by delaying things...I seriously doubt there would be much more than 40-50 overs in the day.
For the umpteenth time Hawkeye can work out lbws in a fraction of a second - the main question would be whether you accept ones that clip the outside edge of a stump or do you only allow lbws that are gonna hit the stumps comfortably. In all of these decisions you would know on the various gadgets whether it should be out or not long before certain umpires have raised their finger or not.

Most fine edges would take 10-20 seconds at most with snickometer because very few possible sounds show up like an edge on the oscillograph.

The close run-outs take a long time because it's a human decision, only the odd fine edge where there are thigh pads etc. in the way would take as long.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Tim said:
If Ricky Ponting went for a slog in a World Cup final the very first ball would you call him hopeless considering his previous record?

A very good point IMO.

I'm sure players make more mistakes than umpires in games

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
thirdumpire said:
Sorry I dont buy into this "human error" factor at all. Seven incorrect calls against India in the last match? Lets keep the human error out of it please.
Actually 7 in total, and by no means were they all against India.

biased indian

International Coach
marc71178 said:
Yes, just it can't always be guaranteed correct.
it might not be able to find the nicks also

i watched the game live on tv and when the austalians appealed for sehwag i also felt that he was out.

but how can u give patel out when the whole thing was happening so slow and it was perfectly clear that he was playing a stoke and that u could see both the middle and leg stup and he was hit on the out side of the pad
for me it was the worst decison of the game every other one u can say there was an element of doubt

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Neil Pickup said:
You really ought to include the definite outs given not-out, too, in your sig...
But that would all but remove any allegations of bias and mean that they have to blame their team for losing the game!

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Swervy said:
ask the spectators whether they want to see 5 overs less in the day because of replays
I'm sure they'd dock five overs of watching if it allowed them to see Sachin, Lara or Ponting stay in after a bad decision, or McGrath, Harbhajan or whomever get the right wicket they deserve.

Last edited:

ReallyCrazy

Banned
Neil Pickup said:
You really ought to include the definite outs given not-out, too, in your sig...

i agree with this. Biased Indian, pls have one more category for decisions which should have been given out but weren't. :cool:

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I didn't see the 1st test, but were there any dropped catches, missed run-outs etc?

biased indian

International Coach
Neil Pickup said:
but i haven't seen the whole game live i usally watch the highlights and they dont show all those decision.but any one is welcome to provide me with the facts for 1 test match i will try to add the ones for rest of the series

i remember one of clarke which was not given any thing else????

biased indian

International Coach
marc71178 said:
But that would all but remove any allegations of bias and mean that they have to blame their team for losing the game!
i do blame india for playing bad and for not bolwling well on secnd day first session

but how do i blame sehwag,patel chopra and pathan for getting out :p :p

ReallyCrazy

Banned
biased indian said:
but i haven't seen the whole game live i usally watch the highlights and they dont show all those decision.but any one is welcome to provide me with the facts for 1 test match i will try to add the ones for rest of the series

i remember one of clarke which was not given any thing else????
Langer was not given out in the first ball of the first innings

Last edited:

biased indian

International Coach
ReallyCrazy said:
Langer was not given out in the first ball of the first innings
i did saw that first over and that was not out its was too high
i will try to be fair rather than just adding them up 8-)