• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Strange, Funny, Bizzare !!

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
I am going to start posting the strange and bizzare cricket incidents from my library. This is not for debate please. Only to have some fun and share with others any such instances we may have read about.

Here is the first :

A master at Wellington College Prep School, Eagle House, Richard Parsons was umpiring in a match where the schoolboys under his charge were bowled out for a mere ONE RUN by a rival school.

Embarrased rather than irritated, he said to his opposite number between innings, "I'm sorry not to have given your boys much practice. I assure you my chaps are capable of doing better than this."

They did. They bowled the entire opposition out for NOUGHT :jawdrop:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
BIzzare Number 2.

Her's another.

In 1989, Dr ME Pavri, the captain of Parsis, who later appeared once for Middlesex, decided in advance that team mates would be superfluous.

He singlehandedly took on an eleven from Matheran (about 120 kms from Bombay) and scored 52 not out. It was agreed that the home team would not be allowed byes or leg byes.

He then proceeded to dismiss them, without the help of any fielders for 38 !! :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Langeveldt said:
That top one was amazing.. We have bowled guys out for 3 at junior level, never seen less than that though
I have partici[pated in a senior division league match in Delhi in the early 80's (this league being next only to Ranji Trophy or first class cricket). We scored 243 runs in the 40 over match at Firoze Shah Kotla Delhi and then bowled out the opposition (Central Secratariat, Delhi) for 3 runs !! This is the lowest score by any side in this level of cricket anywhere in the world and has been recognised as such.

The opening batsman of Central Sec. carried his bat through the innings for 2 not out !!

I was the captain of the winning side , Telefunken Cricket Club Delhi in this match. :D

PS I also believe that a score of 81 times that of the opponents must be a record too 8-)

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Neil Pickup said:
Have you by any chance been reading the Cricketer book of Cricket Statistics and Bizarre Records?
Yes. Both the bizzare incidents are quoted from the same book. The last one is from personal experience but then it isnt that bizzare.

Swervy

International Captain
SJS said:
I have partici[pated in a senior division league match in Delhi in the early 80's (this league being next only to Ranji Trophy or first class cricket). We scored 243 runs in the 40 over match at Firoze Shah Kotla Delhi and then bowled out the opposition (Central Secratariat, Delhi) for 3 runs !! This is the lowest score by any side in this level of cricket anywhere in the world and has been recognised as such.

The opening batsman of Central Sec. carried his bat through the innings for 2 not out !!

I was the captain of the winning side , Telefunken Cricket Club Delhi in this match. :D

PS I also believe that a score of 81 times that of the opponents must be a record too 8-)
I am sure I have read of teams being all out for 1 before

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Bizzare #3

Bizzare #3

Strange Venue ::

In 1838 a match was played on ice at Harewood, Yorkshire, against Stank. The home side scored 486 and the latter replied with 212 for 4.

The high scoreing suggests problems of mobility as does one batsman's (Barrett) scoring 13 runs with one hit !

Why it ended in a draw ? Perhaps the ice melted :-O
Lesson: On ice always bat first :p

Inzzi please note.

Bizzare #4

Strange Venues ...continued :

A match at the South Pole in 1969, had the former Kiwi captain, John Reid hitting a six into the snow and the ball(the only one available) vanishing :wacko:

The wicket was the Pole itself which at that time was represented by a striped barber's type pole with a silvered reflecting glass ball on top.

The unique feature of the match was that whichever direction the ball was hit, it travelled northwards :D

Harbhajans chopper-wacks become predictable !!

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
BIZZARE # 5

The longest Individual Innings

George Gunn the Notts and England batsman scored ***(guess how many) in a single wicket match in 1919 :-O

A local amateur challenged him for a stake of 100 pounds. Gunn refused. When the amateur persisted Gunn finally agreed but insisted on the stakes being brought down to a manageable 5 pounds !

The match began on the Trent Bridge practice ground and in 2 and 1/2 hours Gunn had scored exactly 300 not out. :cry:

By the end of the second session he was 620 not out and his opponent invited him to declare. :sweat: :crybaby:

Gunn refused but allowed him a concession. The stumps were replaced with a six feet wide heavy roller. It made no difference. Halfway through the evening session, Gunn was 777 not out.

The amateur finally cracked. :crutch:

Threw away the ball and left Gunn to his triump

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Bizzare Number 6

can you guess the highest nymber of rins scored of a single ball?

let me tell you. A touring side from Victoria played a scratch side from Bunbury in Western Australia. The very first ball of the match was hit into a three pronged branch of a Jarrah tree which was inside the boundary.

The home side claimed ball lost as the batsmen kept on running but the umpire refused saying the ball could not be lost since it could be seen !!

They tried to get an axe to cut down the tree but couldnt find one. Finally someone got a rifle and after many unsuccessful attempts they managed to shoot the ball down.

The batsman, meantime had run 286 !! They 'stood' on that score (I presume that means they declared) and went on to win the match. :D

PS I am sure this must be
- the highest score without a boundary hit,
- one of the highest without an extra, the highest proportion (100%) of the
runs scored by a batsman,
- the highest proportion of balls in an innings sent down by an individual bowler,
- the highest strike rate in the history of the game
- the worst economy rate for a bowler and so on and on and on.....

:gora:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Bizzare # 7

Wisden honours a dead(ly) cat !!

The only animal to have an obituary notice in the Wisden Almanack is PETR the Lord's cat. An entry on page 973 of the 1965 edition reads

"CAT, PETER, whose ninth life ended on November 5th, 1964, wa a well known cricket watcher at Lord's, where he spent 12 of his 14 years. He preferred a close up view of the proceedings and his sleek, black form could often be seen prowling on the field of play when the crowds were biggest. He frequently appeared on the television screen. Mr S C Griffith, Secretary of the MCC , said of him: "He was a cat of great character and loved publicity."

:angel: RIP :angel: