• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Drop Shewag and Yuvraj ?

thirdumpire

School Boy/Girl Captain
Time to drop Shewag, Yuvraj and Wright !!! At this moment India has to achieve 400 odd runs to save the match and Shewag is already back in the pavilion. I anticipate resonses to me asking "if not Shewag then whom?". That is besides the point. During this match an Australian commentator remarked that had Shewag been in the Austalian team, he would have been on the bench in this series due to his failure to grab the "more then enough opportunities to get back into form". No need for passengers like Shewag and Yuvraj in the Indian team.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Damien Martyn and Adam Gilchrist had their extended bad patches, but they came good when it mattered. Sehwag and Yuvraj are the only devastating matchwinners in the team, at their best. If not these two, wom? Parthiv Patel? You'll never win too many matches!

thirdumpire

School Boy/Girl Captain
Why not ? The aussies use the '5 flops in a row' to take action. What do you suggest '50 flops in a row' ? The action is to send across a message to these so called match-winner-demi-gods not to assume their position is for granted.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
thirdumpire said:
Why not ? The aussies use the '5 flops in a row' to take action. What do you suggest '50 flops in a row' ? The action is to send across a message to these so called match-winner-demi-gods not to assume their position is for granted.
and how many matches are these super stars allowed to lose before they win one ? :-O :-O :-O

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
If you want to replace Sehwag or Yuvraj, name two hard-hitting batsmen who can be brought in.

masterblaster

International Captain
Arjun said:
If you want to replace Sehwag or Yuvraj, name two hard-hitting batsmen who can be brought in.
We don't need hard hitting batsmen. We need batsmen with enough technique and aptitude to post good scores consistently on all types of tracks. I rather have five Dravid's or five Richardson's in my test side than hard hitting players.

For ODI's fine keep them both, but unless they start performing soon it'll be goodbye to Yuvraj (as Sehwag will and really, should stay in this squad). I was baffled already as to why Mohammad Kaif wasn't introduced in this squad in place of Yuvraj. His form has been very good, and he's just as good in the field as Yuvraj, if not better.

To sum up, we don't need hard hitting batsmen in test cricket, we need competent ones with good techniques.

FRAZ

International Captain
masterblaster said:
We don't need hard hitting batsmen. We need batsmen with enough technique and aptitude to post good scores consistently on all types of tracks. I rather have five Dravid's or five Richardson's in my test side than hard hitting players.

Exactly Mr Blaster ... We dont need them any more ....

thirdumpire

School Boy/Girl Captain
as i anticipated in my first post, this will be turned into "if not who?" arguement. In my opinion, we are losing with the match-winners present so it makes no difference to lose without them. We may find 2 other match-winners huh? whoever they may be. How will you know?

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yuvraj has plenty of talent, and I think for the good of the Indian team and his own career, if he is dropped he will more then likely realise he is not assured in the team like he has been for the past year to two years, and will probably improve his game.

His knock against England, and Australia this year was a sign of a great ODI batsman. Tests, he has a long way to go but I feel he can do it. I'm not writing him off, but I think if he gets the message in his head that he's not as great as we Indian fans made him out to be two years ago, he will come back with a vengeance.

tooextracool

International Coach
masterblaster said:
Agreed 100% Jono. Yuvraj really just a hot and cold player. At the moment he's colder than ice.
actually thats more what sehwag is.....it was always expected that someone with such minimal footwork and technique would always have extremely frequent periods of poor form. sehwag IMO will continue to be one of the most inconsistent players in the indian side, who on his day will score prolifically.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
tooextracool said:
actually thats more what sehwag is.....it was always expected that someone with such minimal footwork and technique would always have extremely frequent periods of poor form. sehwag IMO will continue to be one of the most inconsistent players in the indian side, who on his day will score prolifically.
True, but he can get himself out of form in the blink of an eye. He'll either get a big score, or go for nothing, Even if he gets what, 4 ducks in a row, you can never expect that he'd get the 5th in the next innings (like you said). But Yuvraj, he's obviously low on confidence and though he fields like a God, teams are able to attack him and put pressure on, which effects his game.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
masterblaster said:

For ODI's fine keep them both, but unless they start performing soon it'll be goodbye to Yuvraj (as Sehwag will and really, should stay in this squad). I was baffled already as to why Mohammad Kaif wasn't introduced in this squad in place of Yuvraj. His form has been very good, and he's just as good in the field as Yuvraj, if not better.

To sum up, we don't need hard hitting batsmen in test cricket, we need competent ones with good techniques.
A team with at least two hard-hitting batsmen always has an edge over a team without any. This is why the australians win so many matches- they play for a win all the time. They are a formidable batting side with the likes of Hayden and Gilchrist, with Symonds in ODI's. Such batsmen are needed in the Indian team. No doubt occupation of the crease is something basic, and should be mastered by all, but at least two should hit the ball hard. India have Sehwag and Yuvraj, and Pathan, if he tells himself that he can bat or Powar, if he gets a chance.

Ideally, a team should have two hard-hitters and three palyers who play through the innings. While one can attack, the other can just defend or rotate the strike. That's how a champion team works. Hayden hits big for the aussies, while Langer stays at the crease for a longer time. Ponting builds his innings slowly and attacks at the end. Martyn scores quickly, and runs hard, without too many big shots. The others just play for a long innings, then Gilchrist and Symonds attack the bowlers. That's the kind of batting the Indian team needs, not 5 sloggers, or 5 blockers.

thirdumpire

School Boy/Girl Captain
I am all for hard hitting batsmen Arjun. but they should be in the mould of Viv Richards and Clive Lloyd! Else let them take a break and learn to 'occupy the crease' . Get the point ?
While these 2 dudes take a break and re-organise their game, maybe 2 other guys would develop. Now we have 4 , as you put it "match winners" fighting for 2 spots. Will that benefit the Indian team or what ?

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Its fine being a match winner as long as you remember which side you should win them for :p