• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Drop Shewag and Yuvraj ?

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
I am all for hard hitting batsmen Arjun. but they should be in the mould of Viv Richards and Clive Lloyd! Else let them take a break and learn to 'occupy the crease' . Get the point ?
While these 2 dudes take a break and re-organise their game, maybe 2 other guys would develop. Now we have 4 , as you put it "match winners" fighting for 2 spots. Will that benefit the Indian team or what ?
If not Sehwag and Yuvraj, whom? Powar and Dhoni? Well, why not?

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
thirdumpire said:
... you dont seem to get the point unfortunately....
However, if you keep responding to him, you will get it finally . I hope so for your sake :D (kidding)

Sudeep

International Captain
thirdumpire said:
Time to drop Shewag, Yuvraj and Wright !!! At this moment India has to achieve 400 odd runs to save the match and Shewag is already back in the pavilion. I anticipate resonses to me asking "if not Shewag then whom?". That is besides the point. During this match an Australian commentator remarked that had Shewag been in the Austalian team, he would have been on the bench in this series due to his failure to grab the "more then enough opportunities to get back into form". No need for passengers like Shewag and Yuvraj in the Indian team.
Why Wright?

thirdumpire

School Boy/Girl Captain
Sudeep said:
Why Wright?
eversince ganguly openly, chased greg chappel (who eventually turned the job down) to take over, there been rift between captain and coach.....

its possible they wont renew his contract next time around, if the skipper has his way... ...so its DEAD WRIGHT !!! :D

Hala

Cricket Spectator
Arjun said:
Ideally, a team should have two hard-hitters and three palyers who play through the innings. While one can attack, the other can just defend or rotate the strike. That's how a champion team works. Hayden hits big for the aussies, while Langer stays at the crease for a longer time. Ponting builds his innings slowly and attacks at the end. Martyn scores quickly, and runs hard, without too many big shots. The others just play for a long innings, then Gilchrist and Symonds attack the bowlers. That's the kind of batting the Indian team needs, not 5 sloggers, or 5 blockers.
Interesting how common the misconception is that Langer is a slow scorer. Whilst he does indeed struggle in spin he often out scores Hayden early often inside Australia and then is overtaken as Hayden gets going once hes got his eye in.

Martyn certinally doesn't score quickly... whilst he is the closest batsman currently in the team to Mark Waugh he more commonly is there to occupy the crease, as witnessed during his innings in Sri Lanka where he scored slowly but held in and provided a solid partner to whoever was at the other end.

Ponting on the other hand you described accuratly to a point, when he first comes in his footwork is atrocious and he walks all over the crease when playing. I would be interested to seeing what his average is like once he passes 20, I would imagine it is significantly higher than his test average.

Swervy

International Captain
Hala said:
Ponting on the other hand you described accuratly to a point, when he first comes in his footwork is atrocious and he walks all over the crease when playing. I would be interested to seeing what his average is like once he passes 20, I would imagine it is significantly higher than his test average.
Ponting averages 81.07 when he gets beyond 20 runs in an innings

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Interesting how common the misconception is that Langer is a slow scorer.
Apparently he was a slow scorer, until recently. He's still a sclower scorer than Hayden.

eversince ganguly openly, chased greg chappel (who eventually turned the job down) to take over, there been rift between captain and coach.....

its possible they wont renew his contract next time around, if the skipper has his way... ...so its DEAD WRIGHT !!!
The start of another debate...

thirdumpire

School Boy/Girl Captain
Wright is hanging around until the contract ends..... sunny gavaskar has been asked to 'talk to the lads', and ganguly is flirting with srinath to help the bowlers.... inspite of there being a highly paid coach in the dressing room... tell tale signs wright is on way out .....

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
thirdumpire said:
Wright is hanging around until the contract ends..... sunny gavaskar has been asked to 'talk to the lads', and ganguly is flirting with srinath to help the bowlers.... inspite of there being a highly paid coach in the dressing room... tell tale signs wright is on way out .....
There is an old Indian saying "Naach na jaane aangan terha" . Meaning (roughly)
Dont know how to dance so blame the stage as being crooked
Wright is the same as he was for the last two years. To blame him now is atrocious.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
thirdumpire said:
Why are Indian coaches picked and dropped so frequently, while Wright gets an extension? He's been around for three years! One man who shouldn't have got discarded so quickly was Sandeep Patil. He did a decent job with the Kenyans and took them to the semifinals of the World Cup. He coached the Indian A-team when in England, and they didn't lose a match. He understands the strengths and weaknesses of his players, and works on them. He knows what's best for the team. He is one active coach and he should get the job of coach back.

Hala

Cricket Spectator
Neil Pickup said:
Given that you wipe all the failures from his record, I'm not too surprised!
True :p but I think hes certinally a player who gives few if any chances once hes faced 20-30 deliveries at the crease, hes almost a totally different player.

As regards to the India lineup, dare I ask what Chopra is doing in the side? He averages 29 with the bat and the Australians don't seem to have any difficulties with him. He may be there to hold up an end but thats much good if you can't score any runs yourself.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
As regards to the India lineup, dare I ask what Chopra is doing in the side? He averages 29 with the bat and the Australians don't seem to have any difficulties with him. He may be there to hold up an end but thats much good if you can't score any runs yourself.
Then who will open the innings? The Indians have suffered for years by picking unsuitable openers, and you'll see typical number 6's and tailenders in that list. Chopra is the best first-class opener available. He was a prolific scorer before the Australia tour. One just needs to tell him to score runs and he will do it. With Sunil Gavaskar as a batting consultant, he should make the best use of his advice and he can be a very useful player for the team. He shouldn;t be discarded just becuse he had a few bad matches. The other openers are not as seasoned, and have to paly more FC cricket till they open for the Indian team.

thirdumpire

School Boy/Girl Captain
SJS said:
Wright is the same as he was for the last two years. To blame him now is atrocious.
guys, did you notice the field settings set by the aussies for each indian batsmen? lakshman, dravid, ganguly, shewag - 90% of strokes straight to a fielder. this is the amount of research with technology or otherwise that is used . they just about analysed every single batsmen array of strokes with such precision... for lakshman there was langman standing shoulder-to-shoulder with the non-striker batsmen... first time i ever seen such a fielding position... no doubt lakshman got out soon after .
this is what coaching is all about....not only correcting the players...its also all about strategy .....

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
thirdumpire said:
guys, did you notice the field settings set by the aussies for each indian batsmen? lakshman, dravid, ganguly, shewag - 90% of strokes straight to a fielder. this is the amount of research with technology or otherwise that is used . they just about analysed every single batsmen array of strokes with such precision... for lakshman there was langman standing shoulder-to-shoulder with the non-striker batsmen... first time i ever seen such a fielding position... no doubt lakshman got out soon after .
this is what coaching is all about....not only correcting the players...its also all about strategy .....
But do the Indian bowlers ever bowl to a plan? Maybe Kumble and Harbhajan.