• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Srinath the last of a dying race................

krishneelz

U19 Debutant
India have struggled to find a consistant quick bowler after the departure of Javagal Srinath. Imagine India's batsmen backed up with a devistating bowling attack. People are always complaining about india's batting but what about the bowling. The spin department looks well set and a new breed of quicks with talent were being filtered through. The likes of Nehra who looked promising but failed to fulfill his potential. Quicks such as Pathan and Zaheer have what it takes but quite often fail in consistancy. After the departure of Kumble India's crop of spinners looks suspect. There is always a dim hope that someone will filter through. Maybe a Salvi or Mirsha. But Srinath is a dying breed of sucessful consistant indian bowlers.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I don't see the spin department as so amazingly secure either. Kumble is a given and a fit Harbahajan is pretty quality, but Kartik appears to be the 2nd line spinner and doesn't yet look the part.

krishneelz

U19 Debutant
i agree after kumble retires and the injury prone harbajan is out india will be sprawling for bowlers

shaka

International Regular
I remember Srinath destroying NZ at NZ home recently, he bowled well, especially considering his age. i can only hope that the youngsters of India learn his methods and then try to adopt them using their own bowling technique. It is not good for world cricket if India's bowling is a little weak, especially if they are compared to other teams.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
masterblaster said:
One Name: Irfan Pathan
I would hazard to say Irfan is a better bowler then Srinath was thie early in his career. And I am not talking statistics.

shaka

International Regular
SJS said:
I would hazard to say Irfan is a better bowler then Srinath was thie early in his career. And I am not talking statistics.
I agree that Pathan has had a good start to his international career and fans can only hope injuries don't plague him like other top pace bowlers.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
There are no tearaway fast bowlers, and given the team's tendency to field 3 seam bowlers in a match nd pick 5 options, it is a problem. They're only medium/medium-fast, and that won't trouble any of the opposition teams who are used to playing quality pace, and have a few express pace bowlers in their teams. The spin department is not too bad.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
I don't see the spin department as so amazingly secure either. Kumble is a given and a fit Harbahajan is pretty quality, but Kartik appears to be the 2nd line spinner and doesn't yet look the part.
Just because Kartik is presently first reserve doesn't mean others can't overtake him.
IMO Sarandeep Singh, to name one, has far more potential.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
krishneelz said:
India have struggled to find a consistant quick bowler after the departure of Javagal Srinath. Imagine India's batsmen backed up with a devistating bowling attack. People are always complaining about india's batting but what about the bowling. The spin department looks well set and a new breed of quicks with talent were being filtered through. The likes of Nehra who looked promising but failed to fulfill his potential. Quicks such as Pathan and Zaheer have what it takes but quite often fail in consistancy. After the departure of Kumble India's crop of spinners looks suspect. There is always a dim hope that someone will filter through. Maybe a Salvi or Mirsha. But Srinath is a dying breed of sucessful consistant indian bowlers.
IMO Srinath never fulfilled his potential.
He could have been one of the all-time greats if you ask me - but he bowled too many no-balls at times and there were occasions when his accuracy, which could be phenominal at it's best, went awry.
A ODI economy-rate of over 4.4-an-over and a Test-average of over 30 were in the end a disappointment.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Richard said:
What's happened to Aavishkar Salvi?
He's still got a good FC average, and is still a lot better than four bowlers frequently picked for India. His bowling has variety, and he bowls on the spot, and he has some pace. He is a better bowler abraod than this lot, and should make the Indian team.