• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Neutral Umps In ODI's

Scallywag

Banned
a massive zebra said:
. In this Ind vs. Aus match there have been many poor decisions which have effectively decided the match.
Agreed, if Patel had been given out when plumb LBW then the game would have finished yesterday, and if Langer had not copped his fourth bad decision against India in two series then India would be chasing 500+.

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
a massive zebra said:
Should it be the 3rd umpire who makes the lbw and caught behind decisions? With all this technology like hawk eye which never gets used in the match situations by the umpires, should technology be used?

Lets take for example an lbw shout, the 3rd umpire could perfectly analyse whether the ball pitched in line, and could then tell if it was going to hit the stumps - using hawk eye. However, the batsmen should be given the benefit of the doubt if it would have just clipped the bails, or hit leg/off by a mm or two.

Surely getting the decision right and ending with a fair winner is more important than the umpires authority. In this Ind vs. Aus match there have been many poor decisions which have effectively decided the match.
I don't think the poor decisions have decided the match exactly... India have never looked like they were on top. However, I agree completely with the use of the third umpire in LBWs, and on occasion, caught behinds. The technology is there, why not use it?

Scallywag said:
Agreed, if Patel had been given out when plumb LBW then the game would have finished yesterday, and if Langer had not copped his fourth bad decision against India in two series then India would be chasing 500+.
Who knows what would have happened if Langer had been given out first ball in the first innings like he should have?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
a massive zebra said:
Lets take for example an lbw shout, the 3rd umpire could perfectly analyse whether the ball pitched in line, and could then tell if it was going to hit the stumps - using hawk eye.
That's assuming you trust Hawkeye to be correct.

a massive zebra said:
In this Ind vs. Aus match there have been many poor decisions which have effectively decided the match.
And of course the gulf in quality and performance didn't have a bearing.

The Baconator

International Vice-Captain
i don't think hawkeye should be used just slow motion replays with some sort a red line projected down the middle of the pitch by some computer system thing if neccessary

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Scallywag said:
Like it or not these had far less an influence on the match than the decisions in Australians' favour.
And if you're as poor against the inswinger as Langer is, you're asking to be given lbw - which means if you get a reputation for being an lbw candidate, you're going to get a few more poor decisions against you.
Franklyn Rose, for instance, in the latter part of his career it was virtually a case of as soon as the ball hit his pad the finger was up as a matter of course.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
That's assuming you trust Hawkeye to be correct.
Which I don't, personally.
I find it far less reliable than Snickos and Red Zones, which about 60% of the time will give information not available without them.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Waughney said:
That's just the way the cookie crumbles....
And that's far too Australian an attitude for my liking.
A decent, honest batsman is far more of a credit to the game than a cheat who knows perfectly well he's hit the ball and just stands there innocently.
There is no difference between this and claiming a catch you know hasn't carried - if players got suspended for gloving or nicking a ball and standing, it would do wonders for the game's inegrity.
And don't give me that rubbish about "it's not always possible to tell if you've nicked it" - it is every bit as easy as telling whether or not you've caught something. You do not hit the ball and not notice.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
And the fact is they are.

Some people just can only see decisions that go against their team.
Which is irritating.
Nonetheless, so is a game such as the Bangalore Test where all the significant errors favour one team.
Of course it's not bias, but it is very bad for the game.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
The Baconator said:
i don't think hawkeye should be used just slow motion replays with some sort a red line projected down the middle of the pitch by some computer system thing if neccessary
There are two clear areas where TV replays can help in LBW decisions

1. Whether or not the ball pitched outside the leg stump
2. Wheter or not the point of impact with the batsmans body was outside the line of the stumps.

and a third where it can be of assistance at times
- whether their was an edge before the ball hit the batsman's body.

All these can be done without the hawkeye.

I think hawkeye's problem could be in judging the height. This has to be left to the umpire on the ground. But cutting out the above mentioned alone will make for a huge reduction in the potential for errors.

Last edited:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Richard said:
And don't give me that rubbish about "it's not always possible to tell if you've nicked it" - it is every bit as easy as telling whether or not you've caught something. You do not hit the ball and not notice.
Doesn't that contradict itself?

A lot of low catches the fielder doesn't know.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
The Baconator said:
And that differs from Hawk-Eye how?

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
the Australian team wants to have the best umpires for thier games as well :) so we need home umpires :)

also there are so many ODI games and series played, because they only go for a day having 4 neutral umps would be a logistical nightmare that is not really necessary.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
Doesn't that contradict itself?

A lot of low catches the fielder doesn't know.
You know if you haven't caught it - there will, of course, be an odd occasion here and there where a fielder has caught the ball and doesn't know for certain that he has.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
But if he knows for certain when he hasn’t caught the ball, he wouldn’t thik he hasn’t when he actually has.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Richard said:
You know if you haven't caught it - there will, of course, be an odd occasion here and there where a fielder has caught the ball and doesn't know for certain that he has.
And there'll also be a lot of times when they don't know if they've caught it or not.

Nicking it is a lot easier to tell.