• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

players Who You Thought WOULDN'T Make It.............

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
steds said:
What are you on about? He's the captain of his country
Adam Huckle captained Zimbabwe in the last decade, and he definitely didn't make it. Neither did Chris Cowdrey, nor Luke Germon...

As a batsman there has been precious little past blugeoning inept English bowling in those two games, and as a captain all he seems to be good at is abusing his team-mates. I look forward to this winter's tour to see if he proves me wrong.

And never disparage no-neckers, Gladstone Small was a legend!

Mr. P

International Vice-Captain
If Graeme Smith hasn't made it yet neither has Flintoff.

For mine, I never thought Hayden would do that well...but hey, hes killed my theory and it makes me happy:)

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
I reckon that one of the two will have an excellent winter series, and the other will crash and burn.

That could well decide the destination of the trophy.

Sudeep

International Captain
Andrew Flintoff: When he first came onto the scene, he looked like those bits-and-pieces players, who play only a handful of matches here and there.

Virendar Sehwag: He was compared to Tendulkar, but I never rated him as high. I thought he'd play a few matches, struggle for consistency, and eventually within a span of 12-24 months be out of the side...

Mr. P

International Vice-Captain
TC you should make a thread for players that you predicted would make it at a young age, and did.:) If you want.:)

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Flintoff for me was the person for whom the phrase 'under-achiever' was invented.

It's no secret that I rated Cork far higher with the ball and just as 'not awfully' with the bat, and I was truly puzzled as to why the selectors persevered with the guy (Flintoff) when he was such an obvious 'lame-brain'.

Who's the lame-brain now?

<quack> what do you mean 'now'?

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Top_Cat said:
I don't think Shane Bond has 'made it' yet. He's playing Test cricket but is yet to establish himself in the NZ side, let alone as a world beater. He's well on the way but consistent performances against all teams is needed now.

I think he has the talent but now just needs to put the performances on the board.
I think Bond has struggled since getting injured - he certainly looked like he could be a world-beater after his last series in Australia, but unfortunately injury seems to have put a bit of a dampener on things.