• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

players Who You Thought WOULDN'T Make It.............

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Son Of Coco said:
I think what happened to Lara was just a media mock-up! Good batsmen do not get troubled by short-deliveries - even at 160, a pace at which a normal club batsmen wouldn't even get the bat down (because they wouldn't see what they were trying to hit! haha).
I've seen batsmen at my own club play 100mph (160kph) balls (from a bowling-machine) - not with ease - but managing to do so.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Swervy said:
just off the top of my head, I remember Dennis Lillee bowling some brilliant cutters which really the batsman didnt have much chance with
Not disputing you, but Lillee really should have done better in India than he did if he was so good at cutters.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Swervy said:
did he ever play in India???
Nope - well, he never played test cricket in India anyway. Whether he played in any dirty filthy scummy toeraggy Packery series is another matter, of course.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Richard said:
I've seen batsmen at my own club play 100mph (160kph) balls (from a bowling-machine) - not with ease - but managing to do so.
And I've seen Adam Sanford bowl well. Your point?

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Swervy said:
I think it was acknowleged throughout the summer by one Richie Benaud that Lara isnt playing the short ball as well as he used to...and from what I have seen he isnt.(thats just my opinion though)
I had a post a while back as to my theory about this. Basically his eye is not as sharp as it once was, which is perfectly natural.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
I had a post a while back as to my theory about this. Basically his eye is not as sharp as it once was, which is perfectly natural.
A lot of it comes down to reaction times - and when you're in your fourth decade, they're on the wane.

I'm in my sixth - mine went long ago.

Swervy

International Captain
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
yeah..its one of those things

Swervy

International Captain
luckyeddie said:
Nope - well, he never played test cricket in India anyway. Whether he played in any dirty filthy scummy toeraggy Packery series is another matter, of course.
yes Lillee should have done better in India then...he was so bad in India he didnt once even get the ball to pitch within 5000 miles of the wicket in Delhi :D

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Richard said:
No, he didn't lose sight of the Akhtar ball - he simply played it poorly. Even the best do that occasionally.
Here we go again.

So what's the excuse for the Flintoff ball now then? It seems to have changed.

Now had this been Vaas bowling it, I imagine it would've been marked as a superb ball by you.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Swervy said:
I think it was acknowleged throughout the summer by one Richie Benaud that Lara isnt playing the short ball as well as he used to...and from what I have seen he isnt.(thats just my opinion though)
But what would Benaud know about the game from his experience compared to someone who's never played any form of cricket with more than 3 men and a dog watching?

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
But what would Benaud know about the game from his experience compared to someone who's never played any form of cricket with more than 3 men and a dog watching?
The dog's probably more reliable

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Swervy said:
did he ever play in India???
Well, I believe le that he didn't.
Definately saw some article saying "Dennis Lillee picked-up 4 wickets in his career on the soul-destroying wickets of the subcontinent". Maybe it was in Pakistan or Sri Lanka...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
And I've seen Adam Sanford bowl well. Your point?
That managing to see a ball proves you can.
And that bowling consistently well proves you're a good bowler. Not bowling well once every... well, 8 years or so, in the case of AS.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
Here we go again.

So what's the excuse for the Flintoff ball now then? It seems to have changed.

Now had this been Vaas bowling it, I imagine it would've been marked as a superb ball by you.
Nope.
I've acknowledged Chaminda's shortcomings - a stab-in-the-dark, see-once-and-make-your-mind-up-that-Mr.X-can-do-no-wrong\right, that you have countless times attempted to brand me, would not do so. Nor would he say that Flintoff has bowled the good balls I acknowledge he has.
It hasn't changed, at all, incidentally - Lara didn't pick the ball up. Where have I supposedly said otherwise?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
With his experience of watching however many games he worked-out he'd watched, he'd know quite a bit.
If all those games that were watched as a player were watched as a spectator that wouldn't make his skill as a sage any inferior.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Pardon me for going back to the topic, but I never rated Flintoff (evidently others are in the same boat) and he's proven me wrong as far as I'm concerned. I also never rated Vaughan and Zoysa (he hasn't lit the world on fire but he's done much better than I thought he would).