• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Players Who Went Downhill After Excellent Starts To Their Test Careers

Beleg

International Regular
What I remember of him is a big century against Pakistan in 1996, and that was a super fine knock regardless of how he might have fared against other countries.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Beleg said:
What I remember of him (Crawley) is a big century against Pakistan in 1996, and that was a super fine knock regardless of how he might have fared against other countries.
That was a wonderful knock against a very good attack. I also remember him playing in Aus during 1994/5, batting very well with Atherton to rebuild after early wickets and set up a decent score in the test which we actually went on to win, IIRC. At one stage I thought he would go on to be the real deal, until the Australians found him out in 1997. He has probably been unlucky not to play more tests, though, when you consider how many one or two others have played.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Also unlucky since his test average this century is 47 and he never had the chance to play a test match in the sub continent, given that he is a very fine player of spin.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Dunno if he's been mentioned already, but Brett Lee fits the thread criteria...

After 7 Tests: 42 wickets at just over 16, 150 runs at an average of 37.5
Next lump of Tests: Gone downhill slightly

anzac

International Debutant
Kent said:
Trying to turn a flawed, attention-loving strokemaker into an opener (with a partner like Richardson) was always doomed in hindsight. Averaging over 30 was surprisingly high in the end.
Wasn't he also Opening for AUCK during his stint opening in Tests - or did that follow his selection at intnl level??????

The irony for me with Vincent is that it is his performances in Home Tests that bring his overall average down - NZL = 16.27, AUS = 79, IND = 60, PAK = 39, WIN = 23.5, overall = 29 with an Away average = 46.36. Furthermore both his tons & 4/6 50s were scored Away. He also averages 27 opening & 38 @ #3.

But I also agree that he was too 'busy' a player to partner Richardson & his game is better suited down the order. If he can continue to score runs at State & 'A' level I still see a role for him in the middle order in competition with an ever increasing list of candidates - Sinclair, Astle, Styris, Marshall, McMillan, Fulton, Taylor, Stewart.......

Craig

World Traveller
Paul Wiseman?

A five wicket bag on his first Test, now he shouldn't even be within a country mile of the fBlack Caps teamm.

tooextracool

International Coach
other players who havent been mentioned here are ian bishop,craig matthews and andrew hudson. i certainly cant offer a good enough explanation as to why hudson failed.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
ed smith and anthony mcgrath ?? although granted the fact that they havent played much either (thankfully)>.... mind you actually they didnt have excellent starts just acceptable ...... themn it was realised that they are not up to stndard......

Craig

World Traveller
Hey for that too be considered going down hill after 101 Tests, then all players would take that.

The Baconator

International Vice-Captain
out of current players i think it may happen 2 graeme smith and mattie hayden may get worse and perhaps retire after he should have

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The Baconator said:
out of current players i think it may happen 2 graeme smith and mattie hayden may get worse and perhaps retire after he should have
Haha! This thread is about players who went downhill after excellent starts to their test careers.

Hayden had a shocking start to his test career!

Craig

World Traveller
Since when has Graeme Smith gone downhill?

Smith's Test career v Australia didn't excatly set the world alight.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Craig said:
Since when has Graeme Smith gone downhill?

Smith's Test career v Australia didn't excatly set the world alight.
I'm assuming he means downhill from the double centuries he took off the English pies in 2003.