• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Players Who Went Downhill After Excellent Starts To Their Test Careers

Kent

State 12th Man
Sorry - I just wasn't sure what 'Sinclair has replaced Papps' had to do with the post you quoted initially.

If it was referencing what I said about converting people into openers, Sinclair would only be a stop-gap measure in Bangladesh, just to get Fleming settled back in at #3 where they've said they want him long-term.

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Richard said:
I think it's a bit more likely that Mathew Sinclair has.
;) :p
Wow.

World class pedantry from the young man! :D

Seriously though, I always thought Dom Cork had more about him than his overall test figures show. I think I'm right in saying his 7-40 odd on debut was his best return.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
BoyBrumby said:
Wow.

World class pedantry from the young man! :D
And anything less is expected.
Seriously though, I always thought Dom Cork had more about him than his overall test figures show. I think I'm right in saying his 7-40 odd on debut was his best return.
Well TBH he'd have done exceptionally if he bettered those figures - but overall his average should IMO have been far lower than it ended-up - a wasted talent.

tooextracool

International Coach
greg blewett and mark greatbatch, both of whom scored centuries on debut eventually ended up averaging in the low 30s.blewett in fact scored 2 centuries in his first 2 tests.

deeps

International 12th Man
marc71178 said:
Don't you have had to have a high in order to go downhill?
tudor in his first few tests against australia was magnificent. he knocked over both waughs, and bowled very very well...there is no denying that

he looked like he would be the saviour for england bowling

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
deeps said:
tudor in his first few tests against australia was magnificent. he knocked over both waughs, and bowled very very well...there is no denying that

he looked like he would be the saviour for england bowling
He certainly had two very good performances against them, along with a couple that were not so good. It's pushing it to say he looked like the saviour of English bowling, but it makes a welcome change for someone to actually point out the good things he did manage.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Jimmy Adams is an unfortunate case. If my memory serves, in England in the mid-90s he had his skull fractured and that really shook him up. He came back into the game, with a slightly different stance and approach and never looked the same batsman again. Shame really, as he was one of the best temperaments and finest players of spin to that point.
one of the finest padders of spin, more like....
:)

don't get me wrong, he was very effective with his "technique", but the finest players of spin read the spinner's hand, bring into play their footwork and strokeplay, not just deliberately pad 5 balls and then sweep/slog-sweep the 6th one.... :D

shaka

International Regular
Anil said:
Yes he was probably a top rated padder of spin, ie using his pads as oppossed to using his bat.
He did have some good innings in his career but they were not frequent enough

These days i think he is playing in England or in South Africa

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
age_master said:
in a big way
i was someone who thought he should have been in Australia's WC 2003 squad, but in tests he didnt cut it after an excellent start to his career, which was a shame, cause hes an excellent batsman...

Macka

U19 Vice-Captain
Richard said:
And if you took the time to look you'd actually see that I get quite a few things correct.
No one has time to read all your posts.

Yasir and Rudolph anyone? Should their achievements be counted Richard?

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Anil said:

don't get me wrong, he was very effective with his "technique", but the finest players of spin read the spinner's hand, bring into play their footwork and strokeplay, not just deliberately pad 5 balls and then sweep/slog-sweep the 6th one.... :D
Very well said !!

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
NZ opener Rodney Redmond

Got a century and an 80 on debut against Pakistan in NZ in the early 1970s, then went on a tour of England, and due to eyesight problems, got horribly out of form and never played another test.

Or is that example too extreme?