• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Selection Problem

Slats4ever

International Vice-Captain
Clarke's just got a 100 on debut... and a big hundred. He replaced the injured captain Ricky Ponting who looks certain to return next match. With Ricky back in the side what will happen to the Australian order.

Could Australia's opening pair be split up with Langer being dropped (Katich is an option as with gilly at the top of the order)...

Should the "protected species" whose given special consideration for some reason by the ACB selectors, Damien Martyn finally be given the flick thank God.

Does Katich go...

Or does Clarke suffer an unfair fate and become rested for the next game???

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
He'll probably play the next test. Ricky Ponting is out for that one too, isn't he?

And I saw an article on Fox Sports where Doug Walters opined that Darren Lehmann should *stand aside* for Clarke. I'm not entirely against that idea.

Simply, if someone has to go, it's Marto or Lehmann. However, the only thing I see happening is Clarke stepping graciously aside for Ricky Ponting and biding his time until a more permanent spot becomes available (I think he's concreted himself as first in line with that innings - you can forget Hodge and Love for the time being, as the selectors have every reason to believe that the moment they have been waiting for, i.e. Clarke's readiness for test cricket, has arrived).

I suppose that you could even suggest that if the selectors just couldn't fathom dropping Clarke, and therefore had to drop someone else, it might be Katich. The man might be scoring runs, but he's the least experienced and secure of the batsmen. The selectors have shown an unwillingness in the recent past to drop incumbent players for any reason, e.g. after Clarke had some excellent performances in the West Indies for the OD side, but was booted out when Martyn came back into the foray.

I can't see them dropping anyone for Clarke. They certainly have reason to (but not anyone in particular). The most likely thing I think is that he continues to wait.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
What about Lehmann? Should the selectors keep him? One of Martyn or Lehmann may have to go.

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
Richard, you really have no clue. If Lehmann ever tries again to bat like he did yesterday he'll be gone in a flash. He can have all the talent and experience in the world, but if you don't take it seriously, you shouldn't be there. And he didn't take it seriously.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
And of course one single innings proves oh so much, doesn't it? :wacko: How on Earth anyone can even remotely consider giving Lehmann the derision he has got from some quarters is totally beyond me.
Lehmann has proven himself one of the best players on the globe. Now, because he plays ONE SINGLE POOR INNINGS he gets castigated.

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
Richard said:
And of course one single innings proves oh so much, doesn't it? :wacko: How on Earth anyone can even remotely consider giving Lehmann the derision he has got from some quarters is totally beyond me.
Lehmann has proven himself one of the best players on the globe. Now, because he plays ONE SINGLE POOR INNINGS he gets castigated.
One of the best players on the globe? Oh, but he plays on the flat Australian tracks, doesn't he? ;)

You're full of ad hoc hypotheses and other BS.

deeps

International 12th Man
lehmann has proven nothing.

but imo, he is better to have in the middle order than martyn. Martyn has a tendenacy to score his runs when aus least need it. If your team is under pressure, watch as he gets out cheaply..of course, there are one or two exceptions so dont say "waht about..."

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
One of the best players on the globe? Oh, but he plays on the flat Australian tracks, doesn't he?

You're full of ad hoc hypotheses and other BS.
Yeah, yeah, yeah - try something original next time, why don't you?
He's played far, far more at Headingley and other English grounds than he's played on the flat decks of Adelaide Oval and elsewhere.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
deeps said:
lehmann has proven nothing.
Oh, no, so all those runs at an exceptional average when about 1\3 of his career games have been on probably the most difficult deck in World cricket don't prove anything, do they? Nor does playing with far more assurance than anyone else on the dustbowls of Sri Lanka.
Nor proving hugely adept at ruthlessly battering poor attacks on flat pitches in Australian and English domestic cricket, and Test-matches.
Nor, of course, do all his achievements in domestic and international one-day cricket mean anything, despite having come in about every variety of conditions against every variety of bowling possible.

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
Uh huh.. Yeah, fantastic test player, Richard. He's great. I don't know how you can judge him as a test player because he is actually very inexperienced at test cricket, and you, well you just don't seem to watch any at all.

Poor combination, that.

iamdavid

International Debutant
Ive got to come to Lehmann's defence here , I think he has an essential part to play in the Australian middle order , he has a cool head under pressure and he is without peer on slow wickets.

The rest of the Australian batsman (with the exception of Clarke , who isnt in Lehmann's league just yet) are all more powerful if slightly less inventive players and they tend to strugle to score on slower wickets against tight bowling , they dont have the finnese and placement of Lehmann and struggle to work the ball away.

The selectors have given him another chance and over the last 18 months he's taken full advantage and he's fully deserving of a place in the middle order.

Personally I would drop all the batsman bar Ponting and Hayden before Lehmann , he is just so crucial in certain conditions and his experience and bowling brings plenty to the side.
Going by his appointment as Vice Captain I think selectors see it the same way.

Now the interesting part will come if Martyn does nothing at all for these first two tests (which judging by the way he played yesterday isnt completely inconcievable) and Katich and Clarke continue to fill their boots.

Unless that happens however Id be pretty sure Clarke will have to bide his time.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Langer won't be dropped, he is in too good form.
If Hayden is dropped I will stop watching test cricket.
Ponting is captain (and in form) so he won't be dropped.
Martyn shouldn't be dropped (does recent form account for anything?)
Lehmann (see Martyn)
Katich (see Martyn & Lehmann)
Gilchrist v/c and keeps, can't see him getting dropped.

I wouldn't be rushing Clarke in just yet. Keep in mind he is in his early 20s and has time on his side. However, if Langer, Martyn, Lehmann & likely Katich are dropped it will be the end of their careers.

Geez, were talking like Clarke is the next Bradman. With a first class average still under 40 I wouldn't be going that far.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
For me:

Langer
Hayden
Ponting
Katich
Lehmann
Clarke
Gilchrist
Warne
Kaspa
Gillespie
McGrath

Marto has to go for me. He's been a great Test player for Australia, no doubt about that, but the thing for Australia is that they need to phase new players into the middle order (what with a mass exodus likely after WC2007), and that means Clarke has to be given a chance to establish himself. Katich has done nothing wrong, although he looked a bit shaky yesterday (to me reads bits and pieces off cricinfo anyway), and he should continue his career. Trouble is, of course, that he keeps getting moved around the order...but I can't see him at three because Ponting bats beautifully there, and I can't see him at six because Clarke has to move up to five otherwise, which I don't think suits him.

Linda

International Vice-Captain
It would take a helluva lot of guts to drop anyone from the top 4 (the REAL top 4, not Katich). I guess it all depends on what happens over Lehmann's, Katich's, Clarke's and *choke* Martyn's next three innings. Theres no good speculating until then.

Andre

International Regular
I'm thinking also that unless something exceptional happens in the second innings it will be Clarke dropping out of the side once Ponting returns.

Lehmann is the vice-captain and comfortably the best player of spin in the country. Admittedly, yes he was woeful yesterday, but this was a very very rare occurence. I've never seen him look so flustered in his career - all players have off days such as these and I'd be very suprised if a) he didn't bounce back in the second innings and b) if he was to be left out of any side in the near future.

Martyn performed too well in Sri Lanka to be discarded, and Katich showed what a valuable player he is to the side...Although he does strike me as the selectors whipping boy somewhat, so he would probably be the player other tahn Clarke under the microscope.

Besides, I would like to remind of a certain M Love scoring 100* in his most recent Test innings and not being sighted again, so the selectors aren't afraid to make the big calls...

Scallywag

Banned
They will drop Clarke because its about the Australian team, its not about Clarke. Making the team work is more important than satisfying Clarke's ego. The selectors just need to keep Clarke keen and ready to fill any vacancy. Lehmann and Marto will both retire soon and then Clarke will (if still playing well) get his chance.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Mr Casson said:
Richard, you really have no clue.
I don't always defend him, but here I think you can apply the "one swallow does not a summer make" principle.

Lehmann has done it time and again (and is a useful second spinner in sub-continental conditions)

Clarke has done it once and doesn't have the bowling skill.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Mr Casson said:
One of the best players on the globe? Oh, but he plays on the flat Australian tracks, doesn't he? ;)
Yes, Lehmann is easily one of the best batsmen around, far better than Clarke.

May I remind you that after Clarke's superb start in ODIs he rapidly tailed off...