• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Selection Problem

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
deeps said:
However, martyn goes through much too many patches of bad form, followed by a small patch of wonderful form, and then again, alot of poor form. . .
That is a very surprising claim. Definitely not supported by facts.

Since being brought back into the test side in Aucklan in March 2000 (after nearly five years), Martyn has averaged 50.1 in 38 tests till date. This ranks with the best performances in the world in tests during this period. And this is not based on a few big scores followed by long spells of low scores. I am producing below all the test scores of Martyn in these five years. You cant find three successive games in which he failed ! I wonder how many players one can say that of for such a long period.

I think Martyn is one of those low profile, glamourless characters whose performances will never attract the kind of limelight todays 'star-struck' , 'media-influenced' audience wants and is able to recall. Martyn and Langer wil remain relatively anonymous performers in a glamour and flamboyance dominated sporting public's imagination.

17 and 36
78 and 17*
89*and 4
46*and 34*
52 and DNB
4 and 33*
118 and 6
64*
4 and DNB

60 and 30
124* and 6*
52 and DNB
117 and DNB
2 and 0
11 and 0

67 and 20

26 and 64
17 and 0
26 and 21

32 and DNB
42 and 66*
30 and 38
31 and DNB
7 and 40
42 and 110
1 and 161
14 and 5
47 and 7
97 and 52
3 and 45

21 scores of fifty and above in 38 matches and yet an average of 50.1 itself speaks of a very consistent scoring pattern. The figures above only confirm that.

mavric41

State Vice-Captain
Mr Casson said:
Well said. Watson isn't a patch on Flintoff at the moment, but it's logical to assume that what happened to Flintoff might happen to Watson, given their similarities. Definitely worth keeping an eye on.
Watson is the future. With more experiance and guidance he could be the next Keith Miller. It won't happen overnight but with the right grooming his chances of success are good.

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah, he definitely shows signs of improving to the point where he could make the side as either a batsman or a bowler, which is something rare in even most "allrounders" these days... Apart from people like Chris Cairns and Andrew Flintoff, there aren't too many people with that kind of talent.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I'd have thought that Watson's bowling is a bit short of that point for now, but if he can make the sort of improvement Flintoff has, then who knows?

Thing is, where do you play him in the current Aussie side?

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
You don't. He looks a lot better than utility fill-in-overs bowlers, but he definitely isn't there yet. Just give it some time, he'll be there soon enough.

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
age_master said:
apparently hes not a likley starter in the 4th test either
In that case I would give the captaincy to Lehmann starting from the third test.

Edit: Or Warne.

Linda

International Vice-Captain
SJS said:
That is a very surprising claim. Definitely not supported by facts.

Since being brought back into the test side in Aucklan in March 2000 (after nearly five years), Martyn has averaged 50.1 in 38 tests till date. This ranks with the best performances in the world in tests during this period. And this is not based on a few big scores followed by long spells of low scores. I am producing below all the test scores of Martyn in these five years. You cant find three successive games in which he failed ! I wonder how many players one can say that of for such a long period.

I think Martyn is one of those low profile, glamourless characters whose performances will never attract the kind of limelight todays 'star-struck' , 'media-influenced' audience wants and is able to recall. Martyn and Langer wil remain relatively anonymous performers in a glamour and flamboyance dominated sporting public's imagination.

17 and 36
78 and 17*
89*and 4
46*and 34*
52 and DNB
4 and 33*
118 and 6
64*
4 and DNB

60 and 30
124* and 6*
52 and DNB
117 and DNB
2 and 0
11 and 0

67 and 20

26 and 64
17 and 0
26 and 21

32 and DNB
42 and 66*
30 and 38
31 and DNB
7 and 40
42 and 110
1 and 161
14 and 5
47 and 7
97 and 52
3 and 45

21 scores of fifty and above in 38 matches and yet an average of 50.1 itself speaks of a very consistent scoring pattern. The figures above only confirm that.
THANK you.

His innings are often spectacular, but sometimes go unoticed purely because they aren't huge. However, averaging as high as he does without getting enormous scores just proves how consistant and reliable he is.

Jnr.

First Class Debutant
Mr Casson said:
In that case I would give the captaincy to Lehmann starting from the third test.

Edit: Or Warne.
I doubt the Australian selectors would just give the Test captaincy to anyone. Vice captaincy, I think, would be as far as those two go.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Linda said:
THANK you.

His innings are often spectacular, but sometimes go unoticed purely because they aren't huge. However, averaging as high as he does without getting enormous scores just proves how consistant and reliable he is.
But he scores too slowly :p

deeps

International 12th Man
Linda said:
Lord of the elastic wrist
i think that title well and truly belongs to VVS laxman!

I do notice langers performances, as someone said that langer and martyns performances go un-noticed.

But martyn seems to have gotten under my guard :wacko:

Craig

World Traveller
marc71178 said:
I'd have thought that Watson's bowling is a bit short of that point for now, but if he can make the sort of improvement Flintoff has, then who knows?

Thing is, where do you play him in the current Aussie side?
Number 6 should that spot vacate?

Craig

World Traveller
Hmmm if he is to play as a geniune all-rounder, I think six would be best for him. But if he is to play as a batsman who can bowl some overs, then four would be ideal for him.

Both are pretty good batsmen, but Watson probably the better bowler.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Craig said:
Hmmm if he is to play as a geniune all-rounder, I think six would be best for him. But if he is to play as a batsman who can bowl some overs, then four would be ideal for him.

Both are pretty good batsmen, but Watson probably the better bowler.

Watson is definately the better bowler. He does have a better first class record than Clarke (batting) but Clarke has shown tremendous ability in India, so I think they are fairly evenly matched int he batting department. There is not much between them, Watson is probably the better batsman, but only just.

ijaz

Cricket Spectator
Lehman deserves to stay when he is on fire he is a measure of concentration and is excellent to watch, he does have a downside though, can be a bit lazy in his shot selection early in his innnings anything pitched just short of a good length early on can trouble him. Ive seen the best and worst of lehman and still think he is a great player and deserves his spot Clarke is 23 his time will come..