• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What kind of practice net surface

Hurray

Cricket Spectator
Hi,
We are in France and we would like to build a practice net. I contacted a french company that can build the metal structure and netting without any problem. But since they have never done this before, they were asking me about the surface.

So what would you suggest? A screed, a concrete slab, a bitumen or something else? I need to pass the information to this french company soon.

Thanks.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Have you purchased the matting? I've played in nets with the matting laid on both concrete and grass/dirt. The grass ones have a tendency to get depressions here and there over time, especially on the landing areas and the batting crease. Concrete will scuff up the ball more if it hits any exposed areas, has more consistent bounce and dries more easily when it rains.

Never seen anyone use bitumen before.

cnerd123

likes this
You'll need an AstroTurf may to lay on top of whatever hard surface you install.

Concrete works but you need to ensure its absolutely smooth and flat before placing the a mat on top. Any cracks or inconsistency will lead to a pitch with irregular bounce. A waterproof coating on the concrete could help if you're in a rainy place but is expensive, probably not worth it I reckon. Just ensure the concrete is smooth.

Would help to build in some drainage around the concrete and to ensure the pitch is a few mm above the rest of the surface, to help water run off.

Don't use Bitumen.

Hurray

Cricket Spectator
Thanks guys.
The problem here is finding the right type of surface and not the matting.
So you guys would suggest concrete then? What about laying/gluing the mat on bitumen? Bitumen surface might be cheaper than concrete slab.

Last edited:

cnerd123

likes this
Isn't bitumen toxic and reactive?

Plenty of professional pitch layers out there if you search online. They'll be able to give you better advice. In HK they opt for concrete. Not sure which glue they use but you'll want one that non toxic and reasonably weather resistant.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I suppose it could work but I honestly have no idea and have never seen it before.

The folks on that other forum I think you've posted on seem to be a lot more helpful than anyone here could be