Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By zorax
  • 2 Post By MrPrez

Thread: Help medium pace bowling

Cricket Spectator

Help medium pace bowling

Hello, just to give a brief context Iíve recently started to play cricket after not playing for 6 years. I only played it at high school in PE, Iíve naturally picked up bowling and batting action by watching tv so itís not really perfect.

Iím an all rounder but Iím struggling with the pace of my bowling. Iím a medium pace bowler with a short run up, when I bowl the pace of the bowl isnít that fast. (Iím not expecting it to be like a fast bowler but my friend who is a batsmen playing for 10 years he does spin and can bowl it faster than me which I find embarrassing) My friend said my action was good.

Every time I use my full right hip and put full force into the delivery, it goes for a full toss 80% of the time.

Noted I might be weak or not doing something properly, anyone have advice on how to generate speed when bowling or workouts? Wanted to play local team on the weekend.

Thanks

Not a coach by any stretch, but I would imagine the issue is how effectively you channeling the forces generated in your delivery motion throughout your body, into the ball at the point of release.
    LEARN SOMETHING NEW ABOUT AFRICA TODAY

They scored a single, declared and still won by an innings

I have tried various things without succeeding, so I will say that it is not easy, particularly if you have a bowling action that already works well at your current pace (it may not be 'geared' for bowling faster). You might try a sightly longer runup that's a little faster at the end, but you have to be sure it is actually faster, and not just simply more, shorter steps like I have done.
    And tell me
    If it's still raining there in England (in June)
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmy101 View Post
    The BBL is like an un-flushable turd. No matter how many times you flush, it just keeps whirling & whirling around the bowl.

Tournaments Won: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Airo123 View Post
    Hello, just to give a brief context I’ve recently started to play cricket after not playing for 6 years. I only played it at high school in PE, I’ve naturally picked up bowling and batting action by watching tv so it’s not really perfect.

I’m an all rounder but I’m struggling with the pace of my bowling. I’m a medium pace bowler with a short run up, when I bowl the pace of the bowl isn’t that fast. (I’m not expecting it to be like a fast bowler but my friend who is a batsmen playing for 10 years he does spin and can bowl it faster than me which I find embarrassing) My friend said my action was good.

Every time I use my full right hip and put full force into the delivery, it goes for a full toss 80% of the time.

Noted I might be weak or not doing something properly, anyone have advice on how to generate speed when bowling or workouts? Wanted to play local team on the weekend.

Thanks
    This makes me wonder if the ball is slipping out of the top of your grip. Would lose a lot of pace and do what you're saying if you drive through hard with your hip.

Perhaps try a slight flick forward of the ball at the point of release?

Cricket Spectator
    Thanks everyone for the reply.

I went to my first net session with the club I joined. They tried to make me do a long run up which helped abit but wasnít all there.

Apparently on the point of release, I naturally spin the ball causing it to lose pace. I was getting slapped left right and centre.

They told me to try spin which I managed to do. The batsmen ended up blocking it, somehow I had good line and length plus spin 😂

My batting against pace ball was awful playing on the back foot afraid to go forward.

Fair to say Iíll be training a few months before I get a game for the thirds which probably means next season now.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend zorax's Avatar
    Spin bowling is always the solution
    vcs likes this.
    Check out The Cricket Web Podcast!

The Cricket Web Podcast #33 - I Just Wanna Talk About Vernon Philander

iTunes
    SoundCloud

Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    If only Kane Richardson had played some HK domestic cricket before his ODI debut.
    Quote Originally Posted by S.Kennedy View Post
    The Hong Kong Blitz is better than the IPL.

Tournaments Won: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Airo123 View Post
    Thanks everyone for the reply.

I went to my first net session with the club I joined. They tried to make me do a long run up which helped abit but wasn’t all there.

Apparently on the point of release, I naturally spin the ball causing it to lose pace. I was getting slapped left right and centre.

They told me to try spin which I managed to do. The batsmen ended up blocking it, somehow I had good line and length plus spin ��

My batting against pace ball was awful playing on the back foot afraid to go forward.

Fair to say I’ll be training a few months before I get a game for the thirds which probably means next season now.
    Good to hear you've somewhat sorted out the issue.

I found the best way to deal with backing away from the ball is to put a brick on your back foot. You won't necessarily be playing perfect shots as you will be somewhat limited in your body movements, but it is a good way to stop you from backing away.

Another good way is (provided you're wearing a box and a helmet) to get hit. Seriously. It hurts, but then you'll get over it.

It'll come with time. It's about getting your mind to look past your instincts.
    zorax and nightprowler10 like this.

International Debutant srbhkshk's Avatar
    No idea how to explain it technically but actually transferring the momentum you generate from the run up + the arm motion into the delivery is very hard to master. One check I have found somewhat useful is to see if you hesitate at the last step of the delivery [or a simpler one - do you actually send down the delivery faster with the run up compared to just a standing bowl, if not the momentum transfer is not happening].

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend zorax's Avatar
    What I found helpful when playing pace bowling is focusing on connecting with the ball well ahead of me, rather than once it reaches me. Gets your feet moving and you start playing the ball earlier.

Dan
    Embrace the meds and become stupidly accurate imo
    Mind the Windows, Tino!

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Honestly if Dan isn't the greatest living creature on Earth, he is only second behind Luggage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Test_Fan_Only View Post
    Prince EWS you are a ****ing piece of ****, I hope you die soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    I'm the worst poster on this forum, end of.
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin Langer
    Compete with us | Smile with us | Fight on with us | Dream with us

Thread Information