• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Getting hit by short ball when batting/protective equipment

cricketuser123

Cricket Spectator
Hi guys just copped a bit of a nasty one to the stomach region yesterday by the Bowling Machine. Was always going to be a heated session after I sledged it for having an auto feed jam.

Anyway have never bothered with a chest guard or arm guard. Just wondering how cumbersome they are to wear? I wouldn't bother in a game but for the bowling machine I'm considering it.

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
Chest/arm guards are way too cumbersome to be worn imo. When it comes to dealing with the short ball, I find that a small step with the back foot across the stumps as the ball is released helps to straighten your body & gets you into a great position to play either a hook, cut or straight-bat shot.

cricketuser123

Cricket Spectator
Chest/arm guards are way too cumbersome to be worn imo. When it comes to dealing with the short ball, I find that a small step with the back foot across the stumps as the ball is released helps to straighten your body & gets you into a great position to play either a hook, cut or straight-bat shot.
I find that too. I also find that if I'm practising with balls that are 'borderline' short enough to pull but almost too full and that the bowling machine is going at 80 miles per hour that every now and then i miss it :).

Or are you suggesting getting slightly inside the ball so that it is on leg side?

I find i need to be behind the ball with the eyes watching it onto the bat

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
Or are you suggesting getting slightly inside the ball so that it is on leg side?
Absolutely. Plus, if you find that the ball is still travelling towards your body after making the small step across with your back foot & you can't pull it then you're still in a good position to play it with a straight bat.

Another good idea imo when pulling/hooking is to swing hard. More often than not, if you edge it, the ball will go flying over the heads of the slips/keeper.

cricketuser123

Cricket Spectator
Absolutely. Plus, if you find that the ball is still travelling towards your body after making the small step across with your back foot & you can't pull it then you're still in a good position to play it with a straight bat.

Another good idea imo when pulling/hooking is to swing hard. More often than not, if you edge it, the ball will go flying over the heads of the slips/keeper.
Speak of the devil i top edged a six this evening :)

was going ok on 42 from 25 deliveries until i got hit high on the leg side of the front pad by a bal going way down leg and way over the stumps. The bowler kind of gave a half hearted appeal, no one else was interested. It certainly didn't occur to me that it might have been LBW. Nek Minute ump half heartedly puts his hand up in the air! I actually thought he was joking but had to go!

Luckily it didn't affect the result

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
Speak of the devil i top edged a six this evening :)

was going ok on 42 from 25 deliveries until i got hit high on the leg side of the front pad by a bal going way down leg and way over the stumps. The bowler kind of gave a half hearted appeal, no one else was interested. It certainly didn't occur to me that it might have been LBW. Nek Minute ump half heartedly puts his hand up in the air! I actually thought he was joking but had to go!

Luckily it didn't affect the result
Nice mate. Where abouts are you playing night cricket? Are you in a local T20 comp?

Bloody hell, 42 off 25! You should be giving me batting advice, not the other way around haha. Bit stiff on that LBW decision though.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think it's character-building to be hit by short balls, particularly for younger players. Gets them to toughen up and learn to watch the ball and deal with the physical threat of being hit.

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
I remember when I was 14 or 15 I played my first ever game of senior cricket & got absolutely pummelled with short stuff opening the batting. I was a tall kid, so the blokes probably thought I was a bit older than what I was & didn't let up with the sledging all day.

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
Nah, it was in a country league so there was a good culture. The blokes and I had a good yarn about it after the game over beers (coke for 15 year-old me).

cricketuser123

Cricket Spectator
Today I am playing in Deer Park filling in for Sunshine in a 35 over game but usually I play in a 20 20 comp in Melbourne called Last man Stands. Its very social and laid back. 8 a side and small boundaries so that explains the 42 off 25.

It is called Last Man Stands because if you lose seven wickets the remaining batsmen stays in by himself.

I would not be doing too well if i were facing genuinely good/quick bowlers but I am certainly enjoying it.

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
Nice mate. You & I play in the same comp. Our mob won the T20 grand final yesterday. Bit hungover at work today that's for sure.

Hadn't heard of that last man standing thing though.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
I just wouldn't bother facing short stuff against the machine tbh. Deeply unpleasant thing to do, and in my experience doesn't really simulate the short stuff you face in a game anyway.

Andy1993

U19 Cricketer
I practise short ball, with someone standing halfway down the wicket, doing tennis ball serves into the wicket into my body

Daemon

LMS is great fun. One of my uni teammates went to the world cup and played against Chanderpaul lol.

Daemon

Not great, he played for USA and was meh.

There were a few other notable players present like van Wyk, Jaffer and Mendis. SG made it to the semis and one of our guys ended up 3rd on the batting charts. Pretty neat.

It’s definitely a format that’s more fun to play than watch though.