• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Batting in wet outfield

Janish

Cricket Spectator
Hi everyone,

Was playing a 40 over game with light drizzle and none of my drives went fast off the ground and thus I only could get singles and dot balls.

Does a wet out field really slow the ball so much? I just could not get it away for a boundary and that added to the scoreboard pressure.

Whats some good tactics when faced with batting in a wet outfield?

Thanks !

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Hit the ball harder? (Not easy). Hit it in the air more? (Will get you caught more often than not). Fact is, it's out of your control. I'd say look extra hard for singles, but you should be doing that anyway. Certainly be more aware of your shot placement if you're sufficiently good a bat (I'm not), you might find deep fielders taking longer to get to some shots.

andmark

International Captain
Hit the ball harder? (Not easy). Hit it in the air more? (Will get you caught more often than not). Fact is, it's out of your control. I'd say look extra hard for singles, but you should be doing that anyway. Certainly be more aware of your shot placement if you're sufficiently good a bat (I'm not), you might find deep fielders taking longer to get to some shots.
I guess with hitting harder, a way to be able to would be strength training which would also benefit batting in dry conditions. A drawback would be the extra mass making it tougher to run in fielding, but even this drawback could be limited by the extra strength adding extra yards to throwing.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Hi everyone,

Was playing a 40 over game with light drizzle and none of my drives went fast off the ground and thus I only could get singles and dot balls.

Does a wet out field really slow the ball so much? I just could not get it away for a boundary and that added to the scoreboard pressure.

Thanks !
Stop playing.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
You have to think medium-long term when you're playing on a wet outfield. Every run you don't collect because the ball slows down when you hit it on the ground is a nail in the coffin for the bowlers, because the ball gets harder to grip and the seam softens, so you end up cashing in a few overs down the track and feasting on tripe.

Burgey

Well, in that case the outfield dries out while you’re off the field and the ball os in the pie oven

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Played a game just the other week on a day with on and off drizzle. As a leggie trying to grip a damp ball is bloody awful, barely landed a single ball in decent areas but somehow got away with figures of 3-0-0-13, not too displeased. Game was eventually abandoned with no result by the way

trundler

Played a game just the other week on a day with on and off drizzle. As a leggie trying to grip a damp ball is bloody awful, barely landed a single ball in decent areas but somehow got away with figures of 3-0-0-13, not too displeased. Game was eventually abandoned with no result by the way
Should've bowled in better areas, GoodAreasShane

Janish

Cricket Spectator
Thanks alot for replies everyone! Was worried I was a terrible batsmen (I still might be) but I just need to find a way through not ideal batting conditions. Thanks all !

EmJo

Banned
Hi everyone,

Thanks !
The wet grass if only wet will make the ball glide and move faster of the ground as there isn't anything to stop the forward motion. But if the water starts to pool then it will slow the ball down. In football matches a lot of clubs will turn the sprinklers on so the ball can move faster along the ground but the water doesn't pool. In a rain storm the water starts to congregate and can stop the ball from forward movement.

SLA

Cricket Spectator
Hi everyone,

Thanks !
Just relax and take the singles, or if you really need boundaries, hit the ball in the air.