cricket betting betway blog banner small
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Fast bowling mega thread

Fast bowling mega thread

The place to post your inquiries and tips about the unquestionably manliest and most exciting facet of the game.

Most of you know my situation at this point. I take a 16 pace run up and bowl wide off the crease. Recently I've been trying the javelin thrower thing and also cocking my wrist like Steyn to increase pace. I still have to consciousy make an effort to do it but I'm seeing positive results (a 6th grader said I was too fast for him he other day ). I need to improve my stamina though. Cant get through more than an over at full pace at a time. Plus every over I seem to bowl one unforgivable pie.
    trundler isn't annoying at all. He's quality. -TJB
    Yea trundler is the new Bijed. Good addition. - Zorax
    Quote Originally Posted by ankitj View Post
    trundler is the coolest member to join the forum in a long time.

One other thing I try to stand out:
    I try to copy Croft when coming around the wicket. Wide of the crease, trying to get that lefty angle. Only tried one over with that so far.

International Captain SillyCowCorner1's Avatar

The manliest...

try this action trundler
    trundler likes this.
    Symmetry is beauty, beauty is truth. Breaking symmetry means breaking truth.

Am I wrong in suggesting James Anderson has a lovely action for those interested in the side on approach to fast bowling?

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by andruid; 18-10-2018 at 02:37 AM.

International Coach Starfighter's Avatar
    Yes. He isn't very side on. Look how open his hips are at that point, looking inside the arm. You want real side-on, try someone like Fred Trueman. Plus I wouldn't copy his head dip. It works for him but may not work for other people.
    andruid likes this.

I've been copying Larwood for a bit now. It's a strain on the back at first but it works. I occasionally bowl too many wides down leg side that way though.

Trivial task to compare Anderson (trying to replicate poistion in photo above) ...

Screen Shot 2018-10-20 at 10.27.00 AM.png

with properly side-on bowlers such as Trueman (as suggested above) ...

Screen Shot 2018-10-20 at 10.24.39 AM.png

or McKenzie

Screen Shot 2018-10-20 at 10.14.05 AM.png
    Last edited by NotMcKenzie; 19-10-2018 at 05:33 PM.
    Starfighter and trundler like this.
    And tell me
    If it's still raining there in England (in June)

Quote Originally Posted by Percy Sonn, defending his drinking
    If I used foul language, it was most probably suitable to the circumstances.
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmy101 View Post
    The BBL is like an un-flushable turd. No matter how many times you flush, it just keeps whirling & whirling around the bowl.
    The Left: sacrificing everyone for a better future for everyone
    Australian Umpiring: in the tradition of French, McConnell and Randell

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend zorax's Avatar
    Anderson is a classic case of a mixed action. Coaches usually won't teach this because of high risk of injury, but it's certainly very effective and lots of players have had success bowling with mixed actions.
    Check out The Cricket Web Podcast!

The Cricket Web Podcast #33 - I Just Wanna Talk About Vernon Philander

iTunes
    SoundCloud

Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    If only Kane Richardson had played some HK domestic cricket before his ODI debut.
    Quote Originally Posted by S.Kennedy View Post
    The Hong Kong Blitz is better than the IPL.

International Coach Starfighter's Avatar
    This is a comment that I made in Days of Grace's 100 Best Bowlers thread about mixed actions. And no, there aren't many bowlers who've had really long term success with such an action.

Quote Originally Posted by Starfighter View Post
    There's a difference between 'mid-way' and mixed. Mixed is the one with the twisting. Most people think of closing the shoulders much more than the hips in the gather, but the sort that you'll see on a lot on injury prone bowlers is actually the other direction, with the hips more closed than the shoulders upon back foot contact. Almost all truly fast bowlers separate their hips and shoulders which open up earlier than the shoulders, when this happens with a hips-closed, shoulders-open bowler the shoulders will rotate a significant distance backwards with respect to the hips, this is the counter-rotation that causes the injuries. Ian Bishop is a very clear example of this.

Mid-way simply means that the hip and shoulder angle at back foot contact, provided they are close, is somewhere around 45į with respect to the crease, rather than closer to parallel or perpendicular (chest-on and side-on respectively).
    Dan, Daemon, zorax and 1 others like this.
    The truth, I think, is this: that since the triumph of what was called rationalism, we have successfully cultivated everything except reason - G.K. Chesterton

A time is coming when men will go mad, and when they see someone who is not mad, they will attack him saying, 'you are mad, you are not like us' - St. Anthony

Request Your Custom Title Now!
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    zorax talking rubbish again, what's new

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend zorax's Avatar
    Impossible to have long term success of you're always getting injured. But there isn't something inherently wrong in bowling with a mixed action outside of that injury risk.

No harm in trying it out as a casual cricketer if you find it comfortable imo. Once your cricket workload becomes heavier you can then try to make adjustments

Imran actually worked hard on his action to make it side on

He also writes about it in his autobiography. I don't know why i cant get stuff from google images anymore so this is the best image i could find easily

Last edited by smalishah84; 19-10-2018 at 08:33 PM.
    trundler likes this.
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

Quote Originally Posted by zorax View Post
    Impossible to have long term success of you're always getting injured. But there isn't something inherently wrong in bowling with a mixed action outside of that injury risk.

No harm in trying it out as a casual cricketer if you find it comfortable imo. Once your cricket workload becomes heavier you can then try to make adjustments
    Stick to finger spin mate... As I said I can barely get through an over, don't think a risky action is a good idea.

Side on works best for me though as I said, it's a strain on the back. My natural action is more Nuwan Kulasekara though so I have to still actively 'twist' in my delivery stride. I like the angle that gives me too.
    Last edited by trundler; 19-10-2018 at 09:41 PM.

International Debutant GoodAreasShane's Avatar
    In terms of pure aesthetics, early career Marchant de Lange would have to have one of the best fast bowling actions. But it also probably caused all the back problems that prevented him from ever reaching the heights he could have
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikey View Post
    Usman probably figured he could use the zing bails to deflect the ball over the fence
    Quote Originally Posted by Magrat Garlick View Post
    glad to not have found out the real name of GoodAreasShane, as it allows me to keep imagining that at club cricket his mates shout "good areas, GoodAreasShane"

Might be a bit obvious, but Hadlee had a wonderfully aesthetic action. Not as side on as some of those mentioned but he still retained great control over the ball's movement.

Edit: Jeff Thomson might be king for side-on actions.
    Last edited by andmark; 20-10-2018 at 05:59 AM.
    And come what may we're unstoppable
    'cause we know just what we are
    Yeah we know just what we are
    - Oasis, "Stay Young"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information