• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Choosing the right bat weight

yesnosorrymate

Cricket Spectator
Hey guys,
Was going to get a bat made soon and was wondering what weight you guys recommend. I am a 16 year old pretty skinny guy, although not weak. I don't know the exact weight of the bat I use now, but it'd be approximately 2'8 or 2'9 and it doesn't feel too heavy, but I'm starting to think that I should use a lighter bat to make it easier to time shots. I've never been a big/power hitter, and have always relied on timing to give the ball a few legs. Cheers.

cricketshala

Cricket Spectator
It totally depends on you, with what weight you feel comfortable. English willow is lighter than Kashmir willow so you would get more thickness and power in English willow in comparison to Kashmir willow.

Many experts advised to Master blaster Sachin to play with the lighter bat but he never felt comfortable with lighter one.

Here are some points from Sachin's book "Playing my way"

I used a pretty heavy bat and I was sometimes encouraged to move to a lighter one. Again, I did try but I never felt comfortable, as my whole bat swing depended on that weight.“If you make technical adjustments, such as moving to a lighter bat, to cope with different conditions, there's a risk of making yourself feel uncomfortable and of thinking too much about your technique.“To me the bat should be an extension of your arm, and if you've reached the stage where it's become an extension of your arm, why do you need to change? What mattered to me most when I was batting was feeling comfortable. As long as I felt comfortable, it didn't matter where I was playing or who I was playing against.

Here is good article to read about "Ultimate guide to buy cricket bat"

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Hey guys,
Was going to get a bat made soon and was wondering what weight you guys recommend. I am a 16 year old pretty skinny guy, although not weak. I don't know the exact weight of the bat I use now, but it'd be approximately 2'8 or 2'9 and it doesn't feel too heavy, but I'm starting to think that I should use a lighter bat to make it easier to time shots. I've never been a big/power hitter, and have always relied on timing to give the ball a few legs. Cheers.
Honestly an extra ounce isn't going to make you hit the ball a lot harder so I'd just stick with whatever feels right. If you're struggling with the pulls and cuts then maybe you need to go lighter.

It's a tough one, some days I feel like a heavy bat helps me drive really well and others I feel like it makes me overbalance. To this day I can't decide what weight I bat better with but I'm definitely more comfortable with a stick that picks up light.

Shri

Mr. Glass
If you are used to playing wristy shots but have weak wrists, you should definitely go lighter.

Burgey

Take the bat which you're looking at, hold it in one hand straight out in front of you at shoulder height. You should be able to hold it comfortably in that position for a minute or so. If you can't the bat is too heavy for you.

Daemon

Take the bat which you're looking at, hold it in one hand straight out in front of you at shoulder height. You should be able to hold it comfortably in that position for a minute or so. If you can't the bat is too heavy for you.
TIL I have to start using this

CasMcG24

U19 Vice-Captain
If you're a total rabbit like me then it matters not I just borrow who ever was out before usually have a good choice.