• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Batting help

Fenil

Cricket Web Staff Member
Hi guys,

I have a very Ricky Pontingesque stance and backlift. I score most of my runs throught drives, leg glance and pull shot.

I like to use a heavy bat (about 1.3kgs) with double grip. I believe that helps my shots gain some power since I'm only a touch/timing player and by no means a hitter.

Now, the problem is that I cannot play square cut to the greatest of effects. Either I cannot connect it at all or it goes in the air for one/two bounce four but I struggle to keep it down.

Is it because of the heavy bat I'm using or there is something in my technique that I need to change?

Another question is what is the key to play a regular sweep shot? I seem to miss it all the time and the ball either misses my off stump or goes over it most times. Some times I have been bowled that way too.

Sorry for not providing the footage.

cricketshala

Cricket Spectator
If you are playing with heavy bat for a long time then I assume you are comfortable with it. Sachin sir said in his book "Play in my way" that many cricket experts advised to use lighter bat but he feel comfortable with heavy so he continue with that.

You might need to look if your grip on bat is proper and secondly have to look weight transfer to back foot.

The important is that you have to spend more time on drill in net to practice it.

You can look this video very master blaster Sachin Tendulkar teaching how to play square cut.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vx0ecMEFnVk&t=26s

DestinationCric

Cricket Spectator
It is always interesting when there are discussions about bats and bat weights.

Now it doesn’t matter what bat weight you use. What matters most is if your ability to hold the bat.

A simple test is to hold your bat with one hand. Grip only at the end of the handle. Now hold the bat out stretched in front of yourself.

You should be able to hold the bat outstretched in this position for at least 1 minute.

If your are unable to perform this move in its entirety for an entire minute, your bat is far too heavy.

Now as for your swing if you cannot effectively swing the bat in any motion without restriction, it may be time to change bats and tactics.

It can be easy to fall into the trap of thinking a heavy bat will help you hit the ball hard, but just remember, if you can’t play a shot due to bat weight. What’s the point of a heavy bat?

Or, you could hit the gym and make your forearms, arms and body stronger. This can always help you hold a heavy bat.

Hopefully this helps